Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where’s the location of the automatic headlights sensor? My headlights are not coming on until it is fairly dark. It’s still safe, some people have their headlights on, some don’t. I’d like to clean the sensor if I could find it.

·
Registered
E90 : 09 328xi N51 E46: 05 325xi M54
153 Posts
The rain/light sensor is the one behind the rear view mirror.

If it’s safety you are concerned about, just turn your lights on manually all the time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The rain/light sensor is the one behind the rear view mirror.

If it’s safety you are concerned about, just turn your lights on manually all the time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not so much safety, I’m sure the lights come on in plenty of time as to not get a ticket, but they seem sporadic. Thought maybe I could wipe off the sensor. But I guess nobody else knows where it is either.

·
Registered
E90 : 09 328xi N51 E46: 05 325xi M54
153 Posts
ya i know what you mean, i see alot of cars during the early evening hours who seem to be tuning their lights off or on at "random" and can pretty much tell they are using the "Auto" feature. like late evening when its not quite dark yet, so their lights arent on yet, they drive into a shaded spot, like beside a row of trees and their lights come on because it suddenly got a little bit darker, then when they get past the trees the lights shut off.
but yes on the back side of the rear view mirror, you can clean the windshield off. you can also reinitialize it with ISTA.
if there is an air bubble between the windshield and the sensor that can cause an issue as well.
here's the newtis article on it.

·
Registered
12,212 Posts
...Thought maybe I could wipe off the sensor. But I guess nobody else knows where it is either.
No one else knows where it is either ...????

Since it was mentioned in the 2nd post (1st reply) where the light sensor is located...those that do know where it was located had nothing more to add. Plus if you look at the windshield in the interior rear view mirror location its obviously visible...so again, no reason to add to what was already stated. :)

But with your reply...perhaps it wasn’t that obvious to you (and perhaps others). You can see where its located in the diagram below from the parts database...its #1...and in the pic below its identified in the illustration of the windshield where the number one is encircled in blue (or is that turquoise?):

Also...you can see the location of the rain/light sensor in the image below from the TIS website. See B156 in the illustration below...and if you go to the www.newtis.info website and enter the last 7 digits of your VIN...just type “B156” Into the search box and it will give you multiple links about the rain/light/condensation sensor:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts