BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 2012 528i.

My trunk's automatic liftgate no longer closes the trunk automatically when I press the button inside the trunk. The trunk opens when I press the button the keychain, but I can't get it to automatically close. It basically just stays open, as if the button didn't register. I have to manually close it.

I took it to the dealership had them look at it. Oddly enough, they said it was the "latch" and my platinum extended warranty wouldn't cover it.

After the dealership, I also noticed that my trunk light no longer turns on either. In addition, when reversing the right side (passenger) side view mirror no longer automatically adjusts lower (this is helpful when I'm parallel parking next to a curb). Issue is I don't remember these items not working prior to the dealership, so I am thinking the dealer might have screwed something up.

I am confused why the dealer diagnosed as the "latch". I thought the latch is used to lock/unlock the lid, and that it's not actually use to "actuate" the trunk lower.

Anybody have any insight?

How does the automatic mechanism of the trunk work? Is it anyway related to the latch?

·
Registered
8,892 Posts
I have a 2012 528i.

My trunk's automatic liftgate no longer closes the trunk automatically when I press the button inside the trunk. The trunk opens when I press the button the keychain, but I can't get it to automatically close. It basically just stays open, as if the button didn't register. I have to manually close it.

I took it to the dealership had them look at it. Oddly enough, they said it was the "latch" and my platinum extended warranty wouldn't cover it.

After the dealership, I also noticed that my trunk light no longer turns on either. In addition, when reversing the right side (passenger) side view mirror no longer automatically adjusts lower (this is helpful when I'm parallel parking next to a curb). Issue is I don't remember these items not working prior to the dealership, so I am thinking the dealer might have screwed something up.

I am confused why the dealer diagnosed as the "latch". I thought the latch is used to lock/unlock the lid, and that it's not actually use to "actuate" the trunk lower.

Anybody have any insight?

How does the automatic mechanism of the trunk work? Is it anyway related to the latch?
I cant answer about the latch question, but the reverse mirror lowering is a setting in the iDrive. Maybe you set this previously (as in whenever you took possession of the car), and have not changed it since then so forgot it was a setting?

If the dealer updated software for the module that controls that, the setting could have reverted to not lowering.

As for the latch question I dont know. Both of our BMWs have power trunks and the word "latch" sounds like the physical mechanism... but you would need to look at the actual receipt to see what the mechanics actually state they did.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the feedback. I'll check on the iDrive settings...

This is what my receipt says:

Automatic trunk close is not working on trunk button
--- Declined repairs

57973 Verified customer concern, vehicle found to have faulty rear trunk latch. Part ordered.

If it is indeed the latch, I'm afraid it's not covered under my platinum extended service contract... sucks.

·
Registered
8,892 Posts
Thanks for the feedback. I'll check on the iDrive settings...

This is what my receipt says:

Automatic trunk close is not working on trunk button
--- Declined repairs

57973 Verified customer concern, vehicle found to have faulty rear trunk latch. Part ordered.

If it is indeed the latch, I'm afraid it's not covered under my platinum extended service contract... sucks.
From what I remember reading, you had something else that was not covered under that warranty but should have been based on the information you have, right?

Is that dealer the only one in town or could you possibly take it to another dealer for a second opinion?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
From what I remember reading, you had something else that was not covered under that warranty but should have been based on the information you have, right?

Is that dealer the only one in town or could you possibly take it to another dealer for a second opinion?
Yes, you've got a good memory. :)

The previous part was the "engine mounts." This was apparently not covered under the Platinum extended service contract.

The dealer hasn't told me that the latch isn't covered...I'm just expecting he's going to say that since my contract says "Latches" are not covered.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Yes, you've got a good memory. :)

The previous part was the "engine mounts." This was apparently not covered under the Platinum extended service contract.

The dealer hasn't told me that the latch isn't covered...I'm just expecting he's going to say that since my contract says "Latches" are not covered.
Do you mind stating what you paid for your Platinum warranty?
My warrant expires in September and I just received a discount coupon in the mail from my dealer.
I may buy the warranty but it depends on how much and what they are covering.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts