BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
According to Danish law all cars must have low beam lights on at all times :thumbdwn:
This have to be turned on manually in my Z3 '98 2,8 every time I start the car and to be honest I forget it half of the time and gets high beams signals from other drivers to remind me to turn on the lights :eeps:
Then I turn on the lights and everything is good.

Once I stop the car I forget to turn off the lights and this very annoying noise reminds me to turn off the low beams :tsk:

95% of all danish cars have this function but since my Z3 is imported from Germany it doesn't have this function.

Is there a way to have the low beams turn on when engine is on and off when engine is off automatically? This would be great :thumbup:

Any ideas?

·
Warning - Thin Air
1,858 Posts
Do a google search for "bmw z3 daytime running lights". It is a plug in module which turns on the high beams with low power when you start the car. I believe it is required in Canada, but many in the US have also installed it.

·
Proud Canadian, I'm Sorry
941 Posts
The DRL module is NOT under the glove box. It is on the driver side...it replaces the existing non-DRL light module. (Of course...this is a European spec....so glove box might be correct).

Being careful to remove the panel above the pedals on the underneath the dash and actually removing/replacing the module maybe takes 45 min at most.

p.s I did not disconnect my battery...if you do....ensure you have your radio code prior to disconnection of the battery.

I had to add this to my imported into Canada US Spec Z3. It provides DRL without using the light switch which is mandatory in Canada.

Here is the direct link to the install instructions.

www.leatherz.com/instructions/drl.pdf

Hope this helps,

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for your answers.
I have looked at Leatherz DRL relay but it turns on the high beams at 80%. I'm looking for a solution that turns on the low beams at 100%.
Do you think my local BMW dealer have a relay that will do this job?

·
Registered
93 Posts
I'm from Sweden and have had the same issue. One solution is to buy this module: http://www.mixonelektronik.se/halvljusautomatik/BMWZ3/BMW-5/37

Another is to change the switch from a German (I guess you have a German import?) light switch to a Scandinavian and then your local BMW-dealer can (if they know how) install it so it gives you a automatic low beam.

Good luck either way.

I bought the module to a 2.8 I owned. But before I had the opportunity to install it my switch burnt and I installed a Scandinavian and the dealer made it work.

By some for me unknown reason I never forget the lights on my current (German import) Zed so I've not done anything about it.

Check out our facebook group btw: https://www.facebook.com/groups/369195453469/

We have meets sometimes in Skåne. :thumbup:

Per

·
DROZ3
181 Posts
I think it is more around 30% than 80%.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.