BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, my transmission sticker has pn: 8322002439 which is a 5L40e (GM I understand) requiring LT71141
The pn has been superseded twice since I believe.
Many forums say it required Dexron 6.

My question is, I have some Valvoline Max Life Dex/Merc Fully Synthetic (pn: 1129.50) for GM models pre 2006, it states "LT71141 Diamond SSP II and SSP III" on the bottle but doesn't mention BMW (does mention other makes). Is this suitable for the above mentioned trans?

What is the "Diamond SSP"?

It says also that is exceeds requirements of Dex 3 and Mercon fluids.

And if so, what is everyone's belief on mixing fluids? Particularly across different dexron numbers?

Also what is Mercon and Mercon V?

It's for a 2005 X3 2.5i petrol with 160,000km. Transmission fluid has never been changed.

Full flush is recommended but I have read stories about changing it with such high kms that sediment can dislodge and cause issues, particularly when changing the filter too.

Is it best to dump the fluid, drop the pan and change the filter, then top up? Or should I be doing two changes within a week to remove 90% of the original fluid and leaving the filter?

ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1477221218.861416.jpg

·
BM and V dub love!
313 Posts
You want a certified Dex VI fluid.

I would do a few drain and fills with a drive or two in between. Do the filter during the last drain and fill.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
I've done drain and fills with Valvoline Dex VI about 3x now with no problems mixing with the original BMW AT fluid

150k, shifts smooth as silk

·
Anti-Hack
5,509 Posts
Mercon is Ford's ATF, Dexron is GM's

You can always go newer with Dexrons but not backwards.

So if you require Dex 6, you can't use Dex 3. I don't know when 6 came out, and therefore what grade was in use when yours was built.

When I did my drain and fill this summer I used Redline, simply because that was the kit I bought from FCP.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts