BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· Sejanus
5,838 Posts
I passed an A7 on the way home from work yesterday and thought that it really is a nice looking car...much more attractive than the A6 IMO.

· Registered
1,618 Posts
I always liked Audi interiors and consider the brand the closest competitor to BMW.
However, their steering is too light for me and you lose a lot of power to the wheels with Quattro.
That said I would happily adopt an RS6, that's a serious machine with sedan practicality.

The new A7 looks awesome, has a tasteful interior and no doubt is a great cruiser.
But it's a big car at 4,200 pounds and I refuse to believe that it can hit 0-60 in 5 secs flat as the article claims.
Wheel hp and torque is probably the same as the E60 535 and the Audi weighs 400 pounds more, the math doesn't make sense.

The car to look out for is the S7 which will have a turbo 4 liter V8 making 420 hp and 405 lb-ft torque.

· Everything's Bigger in TX
7,193 Posts
Eh, who cares. I still like my car. The Audi is a good vehicle for sure, but I like mine better. And you can argue all day which one is better but in the end, they are really too close to call and it all comes down to what you like.

I've driven both the A6 and A7, and my co-worker has an A7 so I get to see it pretty much every day. I do not have any regret when I walk by, but then again, I don't look at his car and say "you made a mistake".

· The Driver
4,804 Posts
It's FWD. WTF?
Actually it's an AWD variant of a FWD platform. But I hold the belief that a true driver's car is RWD.

· Registered
74 Posts
I went and looked at A6 and A7 before getting my 535. I never got to the test drive, I found the interior/placement of the NAV deal killers for me. My first issue with the car was the pop up nav, hated it, second, I have large feet. Gas and brake pedals are WAY to close together on both cars.

· Everything's Bigger in TX
7,193 Posts
second, I have large feet. Gas and brake pedals are WAY to close together on both cars.
I noticed this too. No matter what I did, I could not work around it. This was on 4 separate test drives. I had several instances where I was riding the gas while braking. Very scary!

Sent from my DROIDX using Bimmer

· N54
3,592 Posts
Props to Audi. However, I disagree with the assertion that this reflects equally well on the A6. Even as a fan of the A6 & F10, I would say the A6, F10, and E-class are not unconventional or ground-breaking enough to win these awards. The Jaguar XF signified the back-from-the-brink rejuvenation of an entire brand and company that could otherwise have disappeared. In general, I don't see too many sedans of this class winning such awards. OTOH an A7 and even a F07 would, if its looks weren't so polarizing

· Eye of the Wolf
2,902 Posts
I learned the hard way that automotive journalists are not always fair arbiters. They often allow their emotions rule their minds. How many times have you seen a test declared for their passionate favorite despite overwhelming empirical evidence to the contrary – can we say “subjective categories”. What’s particularly galling are the times when you might have acted on their recommendations, only to see complete reversals of opinion in subsequent months – inexplicably without explanation. I suspect these reversals of opinion are due to the “herd conformity” phenomenon – that is, the rag publishes – looks around – and sees they are alone. Hmmm, I know it is only a matter of time before the former opinion “disappears”, and rather “Soviet” like, a new politically correct line emerges.

The Audi A7 is a nice enough car but Car of the Year? What we have here is a case of unbridled enthusiasm for all things Audi – the A7 is just the newest Audi toy out of the box. As I have previously commented – Audi is the current darling of the press. Audi is the hot trend setting brand – indeed, given the often contrarian nature of the press – Audi is not BMW - which makes Audi the cognoscenti’s choice. The press needs to stir the pot and make some noise – that is, the press is sustained by controversy – real or manufactured.

As a stylish alternative to a Mercedes CLS, the A7 succeeds if that was the design mission. However, as a Five Door European Executive Express – the A7 is an epic fail. As I have previously stated - the raison d'être of 5 door hatches is enhanced functionality. Paradoxically, the A7 allows style to trump function. The sensuality of the A7 comes with a considerable price - functionality is compromised. The back seat cannot accommodate adult occupants in comfort for any extended period of time. As a stylish luxury personal transportation conveyance intended for two adult occupants who have kids, or need some flex storage, the A7 sorta works.... sorta? ...the low roof line restricts the height of items you can actually carry.

In short - The A7 is a dysfunctional Luxury 5 Door.

PS – Go price the A7 nicely equipped – yep, $75K to $81K – I would much rather have a base Panamera or spend a few bucks more for a lightly equipped Panamera S. (I would really rather have the car I presently own). Factor in no discounts at the Audi Store, and the Audi Store’s arrogance and abuse…and there is no way I see an A7 in my future. The A7 is not only a dysfunctional 5 Door but a questionable value Dysfunctional 5 Door.

· Registered
71 Posts
I learned the hard way that automotive journalists are not always fair arbiters. They often allow their emotions rule their minds. How many times have you seen a test declared for their passionate favorite despite overwhelming empirical evidence to the contrary ***8211; can we say ***8220;subjective categories***8221;. What***8217;s particularly galling are the times when you might have acted on their recommendations, only to see complete reversals of opinion in subsequent months ***8211; inexplicably without explanation. I suspect these reversals of opinion are due to the ***8220;herd conformity***8221; phenomenon ***8211; that is, the rag publishes ***8211; looks around ***8211; and sees they are alone. Hmmm, I know it is only a matter of time before the former opinion ***8220;disappears***8221;, and rather ***8220;Soviet***8221; like, a new politically correct line emerges.

The Audi A7 is a nice enough car but Car of the Year? What we have here is a case of unbridled enthusiasm for all things Audi ***8211; the A7 is just the newest Audi toy out of the box. As I have previously commented ***8211; Audi is the current darling of the press. Audi is the hot trend setting brand ***8211; indeed, given the often contrarian nature of the press ***8211; Audi is not BMW - which makes Audi the cognoscenti***8217;s choice. The press needs to stir the pot and make some noise ***8211; that is, the press is sustained by controversy ***8211; real or manufactured.

As a stylish alternative to a Mercedes CLS, the A7 succeeds if that was the design mission. However, as a Five Door European Executive Express ***8211; the A7 is an epic fail. As I have previously stated - the raison d'être of 5 door hatches is enhanced functionality. Paradoxically, the A7 allows style to trump function. The sensuality of the A7 comes with a considerable price - functionality is compromised. The back seat cannot accommodate adult occupants in comfort for any extended period of time. As a stylish luxury personal transportation conveyance intended for two adult occupants who have kids, or need some flex storage, the A7 sorta works.... sorta? ...the low roof line restricts the height of items you can actually carry.

In short - The A7 is a dysfunctional Luxury 5 Door.

PS ***8211; Go price the A7 nicely equipped ***8211; yep, $75K to $81K ***8211; I would much rather have a base Panamera or spend a few bucks more for a lightly equipped Panamera S. (I would really rather have the car I presently own). Factor in no discounts at the Audi Store, and the Audi Store***8217;s arrogance and abuse***8230;and there is no way I see an A7 in my future. The A7 is not only a dysfunctional 5 Door but a questionable value Dysfunctional 5 Door.
Do you own kinda hatchback yourself? But it's different, right?

· Registered
1,618 Posts
I am doing same Saturday. But my other option is 550iX notwithstanding lower gas economy.
I strongly recommend test driving the sport version of the 550. There is a huge difference in suspension and driving dynamics.
I drove a regular F10 535 and it felt like a Buick to me. Big floaty boat.

· Eye of the Wolf
2,902 Posts
Do you own kinda hatchback yourself? But it's different, right?
Yes

Very different ethos...very different perspectives...I suspect very different missions.

A7 - A6 Architecture - Emphasis on striking exterior styling - Styling limits function - closest competitor is the Mercedes CLS IMO.

5GT - F01 Architecture - Emphasis on interior functionality - Form follows function - the 5 GT does not have a direct competitor....perhaps the Panamera but that is a stretch IMO.

· Registered
71 Posts
Yes

Very different ethos...very different perspectives...I suspect very different missions.

A7 - A6 Architecture - Emphasis on striking exterior styling - Styling limits function - closest competitor is the Mercedes CLS IMO.

5GT - F01 Architecture - Emphasis on interior functionality - Form follows function - the 5 GT does not have a direct competitor....perhaps the Panamera but that is a stretch IMO.
Thank you. Enjoyed your writing style :thumbup:

· Registered
1,618 Posts
Is it good or bad? And what about 550iX - same floaty big boat? Sorry did not get it.
I did not like the F10 535, too soft and gooey. Felt cavernous and spongy. Very smooth though, I can see how many people would like it, especially the Lexus crowd. It is very smooth and quiet. Interior is awesome.
:thumbup:
The 535 Sport was much better. The 550 Sport is the best, looks great with M style body trim and very powerful engine.
The F10 platform is a lot bigger than the previous E60, it feels like a former 7 series now. I suspect when I flip my E60 some day down the road I might end up in a 3 series the way the hormones are flowing at BMW.
My old E39 540 had perfect dimensions, the E60 is bigger but you get used to it. F10 I dunno, it's a lot of sheet metal to push around.:dunno:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.