BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No golden cone award for me today! Nate, told you someone else deserved that better than me. :D

But I did spin out. :( Hack and Kaz witnessed EVERYTING! :cry: 3 cars spun out during the trial runs. Happened so fast that it was unbelievable. Felt like a dumbass clown in the middle of the course. At least I know what not to do at such a bend. ;) Still no where near the top 3 in my class (think I was the fifth), but I did learn a lot today. :thumb:

·
I like cookies.
18,102 Posts
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

You don't have aftermarket sways do you? Tire pressures OK? Not 44 Front, 28 Rear ;) Lifting off at every turn?

To me, it sounds like you are just being too aggressive. Take it easy, you will do better :thumb:

Everyone spins out sometimes, but you seem to have problems avoiding those cones :bigpimp:

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Re: AutoX Irwindale Report!

Yes, I have RD sways. 37 F and 35 R. But you are right, I was a little over-enthusiastic at that bend. :p Still, in a certain way, I am glad that I experienced a spin-out. Now I know what it will be like! :lmao:

Btw, I did use the Switchtronic buttons! Not to the 3rd gear though, but least it was good enough not to reach down to the knob and work on 1st/2nd.:bigpimp: However, I beginning to think that paddles are actually much better due to the bigger shifting surface area. So, for the next AutoX, I might as well try with the SMG wheel. :D

nate328Ci said:

You don't have aftermarket sways do you? Tire pressures OK? Not 44 Front, 28 Rear ;) Lifting off at every turn?

To me, it sounds like you are just being too aggressive. Take it easy, you will do better :thumb:

Everyone spins out sometimes, but you seem to have problems avoiding those cones :bigpimp:

·
Automotive Monomaniac
10,706 Posts
Great pics - especially love the 3 M3's lined up.

How did the Mini do?

(I wanted to go sooo bad, but I was in Santa Barbara Saturday and had to spend Sunday with the wife and kid - parental obilgations).

·
into things retro
4,541 Posts
I had to take off early

Hey Vince -

When did you spin? I didn't see it in the practice runs, so was it during the timed session?

When did HACK show up?

It should be noted that as Kaz and I were watching from his tail gate, that the Ferrari 360 Modena and the Porsche 911 in the pic above appeared to be much slower than some guy in an E30 325 who knew what he was doing. Driver $ vs. car $ !!!!!

·
I like cookies.
18,102 Posts
Re: Re: Re: AutoX Irwindale Report!

VinceTopasBlau3 said:
Yes, I have RD sways. 37 F and 35 R. But you are right, I was a little over-enthusiastic at that bend. :p Still, in a certain way, I am glad that I experienced a spin-out. Now I know what it will be like! :lmao:

Btw, I did use the Switchtronic buttons! Not to the 3rd gear though, but least it was good enough not to reach down to the knob and work on 1st/2nd.:bigpimp: However, I beginning to think that paddles are actually much better due to the bigger shifting surface area. So, for the next AutoX, I might as well try with the SMG wheel. :D

Next time, set your tire pressures higher in rear. Maybe a softer rear sway setting, you should have less oversteer problems :)

·
Rest in peace, Coach
9,106 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: AutoX Irwindale Report!

nate328Ci said:

Next time, set your tire pressures higher in rear. Maybe a softer rear sway setting, you should have less oversteer problems :)
Well...I think it was that particular corner. An instructor with a stock E46 M3, a WRX, and Vince all spun out at the exact same spot with the same result.:dunno:

·
I like cookies.
18,102 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: AutoX Irwindale Report!

The HACK said:

Well...I think it was that particular corner. An instructor with a stock E46 M3, a WRX, and Vince all spun out at the exact same spot with the same result.:dunno:
Vince has a long history of hitting lots of cones :p

and, yea, there are tricky corners too :D

·
Rest in peace, Coach
9,106 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: AutoX Irwindale Report!

nate328Ci said:

Vince has a long history of hitting lots of cones :p

and, yea, there are tricky corners too :D
Yeah, it's fun giving Vince some sh*t, but while I was there watching he must have put on a show just for me...Except for the little spin-out incident I did not see him chew up any cones. Monty in the M3 that spun was literally eating a cone on every corner on his practice run.

·
I like cookies.
18,102 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: AutoX Irwindale Report!

The HACK said:

Yeah, it's fun giving Vince some sh*t, but while I was there watching he must have put on a show just for me...Except for the little spin-out incident I did not see him chew up any cones. Monty in the M3 that spun was literally eating a cone on every corner on his practice run.
;)

It isn't that hard to spin an E46, especially with his setup. I spun at an auto-x in April. Got the rear end to light and there was some gravel :eek: Then again, I don't stagger and run only 1psi higher in the rear; so my car is nicely balanced with light understeer unless provoked :)

G

·

The HACK said:

Hey Dan, did you run?

·
Rest in peace, Coach
9,106 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: AutoX Irwindale Report!

TD said:

Hey Dan, did you run?
No, my wife woke me up at 6:30a.m, I thought I'd catch 5 more minute of sleep, throw on some fresh jeans and be ready for registration...Next thing I know it was 8:00a.m. when MY alarm went off. Missed registration.

Ended up just doing some work on my bumper (the edges are flaring out, the clips are loos), washed it and went to watch them run in the afternoon.

If I could've pre-registered I would definately have run. I've already put my name down for the BMWCCA Track school at California Speedway in August and Buttonwillow in September. For those of you that track and autocross regularly, which do you prefer? The auto-x layout looked a bit daunting to me. I think I'd feel more comfortable on the track?

·
I like cookies.
18,102 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: AutoX Irwindale Report!

The HACK said:

No, my wife woke me up at 6:30a.m, I thought I'd catch 5 more minute of sleep, throw on some fresh jeans and be ready for registration...Next thing I know it was 8:00a.m. when MY alarm went off. Missed registration.

Ended up just doing some work on my bumper (the edges are flaring out, the clips are loos), washed it and went to watch them run in the afternoon.

If I could've pre-registered I would definately have run. I've already put my name down for the BMWCCA Track school at California Speedway in August and Buttonwillow in September. For those of you that track and autocross regularly, which do you prefer? The auto-x layout looked a bit daunting to me. I think I'd feel more comfortable on the track?
track = much more fun; MUCH more wear and tear and more expensive, higher risk

auto-x = cheap, little seat time, low risk

·
Rest in peace, Coach
9,106 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: AutoX Irwindale Report!

nate328Ci said:

track = much more fun; MUCH more wear and tear and more expensive, higher risk

auto-x = cheap, little seat time, low risk
Which do you prefer? Some of the track junkies that I hang out with don't like auto-xes at all.

I'll reserve my judgement until later, after I've ran both. The Irwindale autocross "track" is literally minutes from home.

·
I like cookies.
18,102 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: AutoX Irwindale Report!

The HACK said:

Which do you prefer? Some of the track junkies that I hang out with don't like auto-xes at all.

I'll reserve my judgement until later, after I've ran both. The Irwindale autocross "track" is literally minutes from home.
Track, BY FAR

at my last auto-x, I almost walked out and vowed never to return after the lack of seat time. 5 fawking minitues driving and the whole day standing around :dunno:

·
into things retro
4,541 Posts
sorry to hear that Nate

That's a bummer (little/no track time)

From what I saw yesterday, guys were getting quite a few runs, but I have no reference point on what would be considered a lot of runs.

Vince, HACK, do you guys know the results (or top few) for each class?

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

BS! :D I didn't know you were there... :lmao:

but you are right, monty is *crazy*!:eeps:

The HACK said:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts