BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered User
Joined
·
10,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I NEED better tires, though.
 

·
Registered User
Joined
·
10,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I even met my goal... I stayed on the course all four times and only knocked over one cone. :)
 

·
Double Bimmers
Joined
·
1,176 Posts
Nick325xiT 5spd said:
I even met my goal... I stayed on the course all four times and only knocked over one cone. :)
That's great, I am glad you enjoyed the event! I hope to see you out there again.

I know Clyde must like having another wagon out there to compete with. BTW how did your times comprare to his?
 

·
Double Bimmers
Joined
·
1,176 Posts
Anybody know who the guy in the first heat, with the silver '02 330i, 5-speed, with 18inch OEM wheels was?

When he was done, he took off and did not hang out and chat with us!
 

·
OMGWTFBBQ
Joined
·
11,262 Posts
CD-55 said:


That's great, I am glad you enjoyed the event! I hope to see you out there again.

I know Clyde must like having another wagon out there to compete with. BTW how did your times comprare to his?
Having another wagon like mine for a benchmark is great. :thumb:

My best run was my first run with a mid 52. Nick's best was his fourth, a high 52. My goal had been a low 55, so after the beating that by a lot on the first run, I didn't really know what to do. I screwed my second run by nearly forgetting the gate at the top of the first loop. I was just going thorugh the motions for the rest of the run, finishing with a 54 something. Third run was pretty disappointing...I wasn't aggressive enough in places and too aggressive in others finsihing with another mid (maybe it was a high) 52. Fourth run, I did forget the gate at the top of the first loop and didn't catch it in time. I was pissed, as the rest of the run felt really good...but I'll never know if it would have improved my time...I think I would have.

My friend with the S2000 had a real hard time staying on the course. His First run, he completely forogt to do the top section of the course among other things. Second run, he missed the same gate I did, and then he didn't do the loop at the end...straight from the slalom to teh stop box. Third run, it looked like he was going to get it, and then missed the double cone gate at the start of the end loop. Fourth run, he got sideways on the end loop, got it back together and then flipped a cone. He finished his fourth run with a 49 something +1 cone. He'll be back. :D

Riding with TD and CD was eye opening if for nothing else than seeing the different approaches they take. TD's style felt very reserved and methodical, while CD drives like his hair is on fire. Also, CD's in car commentary was quite captivating :thumb:

I think that I'm going to go the thing at Sterling now.
 

·
Registered User
Joined
·
10,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I look forward to doing this again... I REALLY need to start using that pedal on the right side a bit more. My runs were pretty smooth, but didn't REALLY push things. The xiT is VERY forgiving of excess throttle. Next time, I think I'll concentrate a little more on getting faster and a little less on nailing the gates exactly right. :p I KNOW that i wasn't looking ahead enough. The last loop was fun, I was doing nasty things to my tires twirling the car around in first gear. :) At the rate I'm going, I may decide to make this my winter wheel/tire setup. I want lighter wheels and better tires. :D
 

·
I like cookies.
Joined
·
18,102 Posts
Nick325xiT 5spd said:
I was doing nasty things to my tires twirling the car around in first gear. :) At the rate I'm going, I may decide to make this my winter wheel/tire setup. I want lighter wheels and better tires. :D
What is it with you and first gear corners? I can't think of anytime that I would ever think of taking a turn in first gear. My gearing is much less agressive than yours. Don't you think the shift loses you time :dunno:

And, yes, get some "real" tires :thumb:
 

·
Double Bimmers
Joined
·
1,176 Posts
nate328Ci said:


What is it with you and first gear corners? I can't think of anytime that I would ever think of taking a turn in first gear. My gearing is much less agressive than yours. Don't you think the shift loses you time :dunno:

And, yes, get some "real" tires :thumb:
We have some tight courses. I have found that first gear is often the best was to go fast in some places. This course only required 1 down shift to first then back to 2nd.
 

·
I like cookies.
Joined
·
18,102 Posts
CD-55 said:


We have some tight courses. I have found that first gear is often the best was to go fast in some places. This course only required 1 down shift to first then back to 2nd.
I guess so

I don't think I would go into first unless it was less than 15 mph. That IS TIGHT :yikes:
 

·
Double Bimmers
Joined
·
1,176 Posts
clyde325xiT said:
Riding with TD and CD was eye opening if for nothing else than seeing the different approaches they take. TD's style felt very reserved and methodical, while CD drives like his hair is on fire. Also, CD's in car commentary was quite captivating :thumb:
Too bad you were not riding with me on my quick 3rd and 4th (47.0xx) run. I kept everything 100% hooked up with almost no sliding and zero understeer. They were quicker and better runs, but maybe a little boring?

As for the commentary, I was just trying to expain what I was going to do, then how I was screwing up.:thumb:
 
G

·
clyde325xiT said:

Riding with TD and CD was eye opening if for nothing else than seeing the different approaches they take. TD's style felt very reserved and methodical, while CD drives like his hair is on fire. Also, CD's in car commentary was quite captivating :thumb:
This difference it style is also witnessed by the differences in our tire wear. I always try to be smooth but that often results in me not getting on it hard enough. Clyde, sorry for the lack of play by play. For better or worse, I try to concentrate out there, although I suspect sometimes I overthink things.

Last time out, I had no grip as I'm convinced the ContiSports only have grippy compound for the first x tread depth after which they use econocar tire compound. Now, with the S-03s, I think I have to adjust my tire pressures before going out again. I ran my regular 40F 38R but I still had tremendous understeer. The S03s apparently run wider, so I suspect I might have to adjust the pressures I run to bias the front even more. I think I have just too much grip on the back. I was understeering badly, even when I came in to a turn slow.

For the Cali guys who have their courses entirely spelled out for them with cones, today's course would have been quite unsettling. I will take a picture of the course map and post it later.
 

·
Double Bimmers
Joined
·
1,176 Posts
nate328Ci said:


I guess so

I don't think I would go into first unless it was less than 15 mph. That IS TIGHT :yikes:
We may have been as slow as 15 - 20 MPH?

I pull off the shift to first while braking... so there is no speed loss there, but the shift back into 2nd was at full blast on a straight almost at the stop bo. I just hammered it as qucik as possible and lit-up the rear tires just the right amount. I noticed that many of the fastest people were doing the same thing.
 
G

·
CD-55 said:


We may have been as slow as 15 - 20 MPH?

I pull off the shift to first while braking... so there is no speed loss there, but the shift back into 2nd was at full blast on a straight almost at the stop bo. I just hammered it as qucik as possible and lit-up the rear tires just the right amount. I noticed that many of the fastest people were doing the same thing.
Going into the last loop, I am sure we were under 15 MPH.
 

·
Double Bimmers
Joined
·
1,176 Posts
TD said:
Now, with the S-03s, I think I have to adjust my tire pressures before going out again. I ran my regular 40F 38R but I still had tremendous understeer. The S03s apparently run wider, so I suspect I might have to adjust the pressures I run to bias the front even more. I think I have just too much grip on the back. I was understeering badly, even when I came in to a turn slow.
I was amazed that afterwards you still had the little numb fresh tire danglies still on the outside edge of your tires. I had that 1-day old S-03 in front at 43.5 - 44 PSI (40 rear) and mine was rolling over to the sidewall and there is already very obvious tread wear.
 

·
Double Bimmers
Joined
·
1,176 Posts
TD said:
Does anyone remember the URL of the photographer that was out there today?
Good question! Somthing that sounded race-like. Try posting on that Yahoo group "DCmetroBMW".
 

·
I like cookies.
Joined
·
18,102 Posts
CD-55 said:


I was amazed that afterwards you still had the little numb fresh tire danglies still on the outside edge of your tires. I had that 1-day old S-03 in front at 43.5 - 44 PSI (40 rear) and mine was rolling over to the sidewall and there is already very obvious tread wear.
How can you roll over that far?

Mine don't roll off the tread at 40psi on 16" wheels :dunno:
 

·
Addicted To Autocross
Joined
·
191 Posts
I couldn't agree more. Glad you had fun and glad to hear you took your car out there. Sounds like you'll be doing it again. I have invited a bunch of people from work to an event next weekend to see if they would be interested. Fortunately, the SCCA/CSCC events here in California allow passengers so they can get a first-hand look at what I do.

Yea, tires will make a HUGE difference. For now though, I suggest you continue to learn on your current set and waste them. Once you have more experience, using R-Compounds will make a world of difference. Good luck and happy driving.
 
1 - 20 of 82 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top