BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
I like cookies.
18,102 Posts
Nick325xiT 5spd said:
I was doing nasty things to my tires twirling the car around in first gear. :) At the rate I'm going, I may decide to make this my winter wheel/tire setup. I want lighter wheels and better tires. :D
What is it with you and first gear corners? I can't think of anytime that I would ever think of taking a turn in first gear. My gearing is much less agressive than yours. Don't you think the shift loses you time :dunno:

And, yes, get some "real" tires :thumb:

·
I like cookies.
18,102 Posts
CD-55 said:

We have some tight courses. I have found that first gear is often the best was to go fast in some places. This course only required 1 down shift to first then back to 2nd.
I guess so

I don't think I would go into first unless it was less than 15 mph. That IS TIGHT :yikes:

·
I like cookies.
18,102 Posts
CD-55 said:

I was amazed that afterwards you still had the little numb fresh tire danglies still on the outside edge of your tires. I had that 1-day old S-03 in front at 43.5 - 44 PSI (40 rear) and mine was rolling over to the sidewall and there is already very obvious tread wear.
How can you roll over that far?

Mine don't roll off the tread at 40psi on 16" wheels :dunno:

·
I like cookies.
18,102 Posts
CD-55 said:

I guess, high G's, high body roll, and crapy camber:p

I have 17 X 8 inch rims with 235/40 S-03's.

At the autoX both the front and rear roll over to the seam beyond the tread, but before the sidewall. I would think I need more PSI, but it seems to handle so well, also I would think 44 PSI should be more than enough (44F, 40R). I have another autoX Sunday (YEAH TWO IN ONE WEEKEND!!!), and for now I plan to go with it as is.

When I drive around town I can see that I never roll over this far, so it is only at the autoX.
I'm not exactly sure what you are referring to when you say "the seam beyond the tread" Are you talking about the treadblocks on the top of the sidewall, on the shoulder as I call it?

More tire pressure does not always equal more grip. If you have too much front pressure, the tires will just slide across the pavement. You want the tire to wear on the outer tread blocks, you will get more grip. At the last auto-x, I helped a guy out with his M roadster. He was running very high in front and low in rear trying to get rid of understeer. He kept on taking air out of the rear and adding the front, I told him to take air out of the front. He got so much oversteer that he nearly spun out.

I let it roll out on the shoulder. With only 1 PSI higher in the rear, my car was very well balanced. Easy oversteer on demand, I was tail out more than I was pushing...

I took this just now, damn dealer put tire shine on :tsk:

Attachments

·
I like cookies.
18,102 Posts
CD-55 said:
Thanks for the pic.

On mine the front and rear rub off the shoe polish and show wear to the end of the tread to that seam where my arrows are (see attached pic). The shoe polish remains in this seam, but towards the tread it is all worn off.

The front show more wear, but still do not wear off the shoe polish beyond the seam.

On the front the triangle indicators are long worn off even on the new tire I just installed Friday (June 14th) night. On the rear they are visible, but almost worn off.

hmm, that is suprising. I would expect your tires you roll over less due to the lower profile

How smooth are you?

·
I like cookies.
18,102 Posts
clyde325xiT said:

Nick said that he did the first and last loops in 1st the whole way. When I thought about it, for our cars, I thought that he was probably right. Coming out of the loops in second the revs were way too low and it took forever to start developing torque. The way i did it a couple times was shifting too often.

Like CD, my downshifts are done under braking, and I don't think that I'm losing time. I know that I'm not using any real concious thought on it. My upshifts, OTOH, have been lousy. Maybe its partly due to the CDV that probably lives in my car? Maybe my technique? Maybe both? Anyway, on my way home it occurred to me that maybe the fast way after the last loop would have been to hold it at redline in first until crossing the line? Maybe it depends on car/gearing?
What's the max speed in first in your car? Should be pretty low, I would guess ~33 or so. That is incredibly tight, I'm usually able to get to 55 or so on every course that I have driven on. I'm always in 2nd at auto-x and usually 3rd on road courses, except the straights. Plenty of torque down low in 2nd :angel:

·
I like cookies.
18,102 Posts
clyde325xiT said:

This is about what I was expecting. Pole D was in the middle of a big oval a as far away as he could get from any chane of a head (or tail) on shot at maximum lean angle...not even a good chance for a decent 3/4 shot unless someone got very out of shape. Also, the shutter speed was too fast, losing any further chance of capturing a sense of speed, momentum, inertia, etc.
I can't believe a pro took these :tsk:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.