BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Double Bimmers
1,176 Posts
Nick325xiT 5spd said:
I even met my goal... I stayed on the course all four times and only knocked over one cone. :)
That's great, I am glad you enjoyed the event! I hope to see you out there again.

I know Clyde must like having another wagon out there to compete with. BTW how did your times comprare to his?

·
Double Bimmers
1,176 Posts
Anybody know who the guy in the first heat, with the silver '02 330i, 5-speed, with 18inch OEM wheels was?

When he was done, he took off and did not hang out and chat with us!

·
Double Bimmers
1,176 Posts
nate328Ci said:

What is it with you and first gear corners? I can't think of anytime that I would ever think of taking a turn in first gear. My gearing is much less agressive than yours. Don't you think the shift loses you time :dunno:

And, yes, get some "real" tires :thumb:
We have some tight courses. I have found that first gear is often the best was to go fast in some places. This course only required 1 down shift to first then back to 2nd.

·
Double Bimmers
1,176 Posts
clyde325xiT said:
Riding with TD and CD was eye opening if for nothing else than seeing the different approaches they take. TD's style felt very reserved and methodical, while CD drives like his hair is on fire. Also, CD's in car commentary was quite captivating :thumb:
Too bad you were not riding with me on my quick 3rd and 4th (47.0xx) run. I kept everything 100% hooked up with almost no sliding and zero understeer. They were quicker and better runs, but maybe a little boring?

As for the commentary, I was just trying to expain what I was going to do, then how I was screwing up.:thumb:

·
Double Bimmers
1,176 Posts
nate328Ci said:

I guess so

I don't think I would go into first unless it was less than 15 mph. That IS TIGHT :yikes:
We may have been as slow as 15 - 20 MPH?

I pull off the shift to first while braking... so there is no speed loss there, but the shift back into 2nd was at full blast on a straight almost at the stop bo. I just hammered it as qucik as possible and lit-up the rear tires just the right amount. I noticed that many of the fastest people were doing the same thing.

·
Double Bimmers
1,176 Posts
TD said:
Now, with the S-03s, I think I have to adjust my tire pressures before going out again. I ran my regular 40F 38R but I still had tremendous understeer. The S03s apparently run wider, so I suspect I might have to adjust the pressures I run to bias the front even more. I think I have just too much grip on the back. I was understeering badly, even when I came in to a turn slow.
I was amazed that afterwards you still had the little numb fresh tire danglies still on the outside edge of your tires. I had that 1-day old S-03 in front at 43.5 - 44 PSI (40 rear) and mine was rolling over to the sidewall and there is already very obvious tread wear.

·
Double Bimmers
1,176 Posts
TD said:
Does anyone remember the URL of the photographer that was out there today?
Good question! Somthing that sounded race-like. Try posting on that Yahoo group "DCmetroBMW".

·
Double Bimmers
1,176 Posts
nate328Ci said:

How can you roll over that far?

Mine don't roll off the tread at 40psi on 16" wheels :dunno:
I guess, high G's (I do drive it at M3 speed or faster), high body roll, and crapy camber:p

I have 17 X 8 inch rims with 235/40 S-03's.

At the autoX both the front and rear roll over to the seam beyond the tread, but before the sidewall. I would think I need more PSI, but it seems to handle so well, also I would think 44 PSI should be more than enough (44F, 40R). I have another autoX Sunday (YEAH TWO IN ONE WEEKEND!!!), and for now I plan to go with it as is.

When I drive around town I can see that I never roll over this far, so it is only at the autoX.

·
Double Bimmers
1,176 Posts
Thanks for the pic.

On mine the front and rear rub off the shoe polish and show wear to the end of the tread to that seam where my arrows are (see attached pic). The shoe polish remains in this seam, but towards the tread it is all worn off.

The front show more wear, but still do not wear off the shoe polish beyond the seam.

On the front the triangle indicators are long worn off even on the new tire I just installed Friday (June 14th) night. On the rear they are visible, but almost worn off.

·
Double Bimmers
1,176 Posts
nate328Ci said:
How smooth are you?
Haven't we discussed this before?:p Anyway I chilled out, none of that WRC stuff today.

Today, my first two runs were no good (49.xxx) with several issues like overdriving into understeer situations.

My last two runs were smooth and the 4th (fastest) having no understeer or oversteer at all and being completely smooth. I am sure the cornering forces were greatest on my 4th (smooth) run. I did my best to corner at the max speed.

No kidding, I think my times were equal to most of the M3's (actually quicker than any I noticed); we know the M3's out accelerate me, so I must be making up some time on the turns?

·
Double Bimmers
1,176 Posts
Pinecone said:

Where were you downshifting? For the last loop?

I thought about it, and if I had managed to stay on course early, I might have tried it.

I ran the first loop in 1st, upshifted exiting the loop.

BTW I was running the Roadster yesterday.
Yeah at the last loop. I downshifted while braking while at the double gate the first time. I drove around the loop in 1st, then just before crossing the stop timer I hit red line and QUICKLY shifted into 2nd.

As for the first loop I short shifted before getting there. I thought there was no need for 1st gear power there so I shifted into second at that first gate where you turn right to enter the 1st loop. At this point (the lanuch) I doubt I took 1st gear above 4,500-RPM before the shift.

·
Double Bimmers
1,176 Posts
Nick325xiT 5spd said:
I think that one of my issues was that I was never going fast enough to need the brakes, really. I braked at two points... The sharp off camber turn on the back stretch and going into the second loop.

I should have gotten on the gas a bit more. :p
And Hunter... I wish I could say a 49 second run was no good. :D
I did not brake much more than that.

I braked at the double cones in that cross over from one side of the course to the other. I braked both times there.

I braked in the two corners at the far back of the course.

Then I braked at the double cones entering the last loop.

That was it.

·
Double Bimmers
1,176 Posts
Nick325xiT 5spd said:
I think it was the "318" which was acxtually a '94 325is that had the complete M3 drivetrain dropped in. It was awfully close, though.
Yep, and it was striped of anything with weight that did not help it go fast.

Oh yeah, it also had some go-fast engine mods. The guy was telling me how he built it from two wrecked M3's.

He also said he has another wreck M3, and he is going to put that motor in an E30!!!

·
Double Bimmers
1,176 Posts
TD said:
A few of us (CD-55, JST and I) are a bit biased toward the early heats (you're done and have the rest of the day free).
Yeah I just cannot take the summer afternoon heat.

·
Double Bimmers
1,176 Posts
Nick325xiT 5spd said:
For some reason I didn't check my pressures befor ethe autox. :mad: I was running about five PSI low up front. :banghead:
You don't want to do that again:)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.