BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
OMGWTFBBQ
11,262 Posts
CD-55 said:

That's great, I am glad you enjoyed the event! I hope to see you out there again.

I know Clyde must like having another wagon out there to compete with. BTW how did your times comprare to his?
Having another wagon like mine for a benchmark is great. :thumb:

My best run was my first run with a mid 52. Nick's best was his fourth, a high 52. My goal had been a low 55, so after the beating that by a lot on the first run, I didn't really know what to do. I screwed my second run by nearly forgetting the gate at the top of the first loop. I was just going thorugh the motions for the rest of the run, finishing with a 54 something. Third run was pretty disappointing...I wasn't aggressive enough in places and too aggressive in others finsihing with another mid (maybe it was a high) 52. Fourth run, I did forget the gate at the top of the first loop and didn't catch it in time. I was pissed, as the rest of the run felt really good...but I'll never know if it would have improved my time...I think I would have.

My friend with the S2000 had a real hard time staying on the course. His First run, he completely forogt to do the top section of the course among other things. Second run, he missed the same gate I did, and then he didn't do the loop at the end...straight from the slalom to teh stop box. Third run, it looked like he was going to get it, and then missed the double cone gate at the start of the end loop. Fourth run, he got sideways on the end loop, got it back together and then flipped a cone. He finished his fourth run with a 49 something +1 cone. He'll be back. :D

Riding with TD and CD was eye opening if for nothing else than seeing the different approaches they take. TD's style felt very reserved and methodical, while CD drives like his hair is on fire. Also, CD's in car commentary was quite captivating :thumb:

I think that I'm going to go the thing at Sterling now.

·
OMGWTFBBQ
11,262 Posts
TD said:

Going into the last loop, I am sure we were under 15 MPH.
Nick said that he did the first and last loops in 1st the whole way. When I thought about it, for our cars, I thought that he was probably right. Coming out of the loops in second the revs were way too low and it took forever to start developing torque. The way i did it a couple times was shifting too often.

Like CD, my downshifts are done under braking, and I don't think that I'm losing time. I know that I'm not using any real concious thought on it. My upshifts, OTOH, have been lousy. Maybe its partly due to the CDV that probably lives in my car? Maybe my technique? Maybe both? Anyway, on my way home it occurred to me that maybe the fast way after the last loop would have been to hold it at redline in first until crossing the line? Maybe it depends on car/gearing?

·
OMGWTFBBQ
11,262 Posts
Nick325xiT 5spd said:
I look forward to doing this again... I REALLY need to start using that pedal on the right side a bit more. My runs were pretty smooth, but didn't REALLY push things.
Nick, you looked VERY smooth pretty much the whole time. On your first run, I thought that you were holding back a lot because you looked really slow. But your time didn't reflect that...turned out that you were just being smooth. :)

The xiT is VERY forgiving of excess throttle.
I didn't know that I could apply excess throttle in my xiT :D

Next time, I think I'll concentrate a little more on getting faster and a little less on nailing the gates exactly right. :p I KNOW that i wasn't looking ahead enough.
I ran across something the other day. Basically it said that on a 60 second course you may have 100 or more decision points. Points to lift, brake, gas, turn, etc. A 1/10 hesitation or miscue ads up to 10 seconds or more.

The guy that I'm cribbing that from wrote it a lot better, but it made a lot of sense to me. I wish that I could find it again.

·
OMGWTFBBQ
11,262 Posts
nate328Ci said:

What's the max speed in first in your car? Should be pretty low, I would guess ~33 or so. That is incredibly tight, I'm usually able to get to 55 or so on every course that I have driven on. I'm always in 2nd at auto-x and usually 3rd on road courses, except the straights. Plenty of torque down low in 2nd :angel:
I think that first maxes ~33. For the sections that I was talking about, it would have been entirely appropriate. The torque of the 2.5l down low leaves a lot to be desired when it has to pull the extra wagon glass and the AWD hardware. :rolleyes:

·
OMGWTFBBQ
11,262 Posts
TD said:
BTW, I saw this thread at bimmerforums about todays event- http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=35596

Anyway, IMO, there was some good advice in the follow-ups, so, since I know a few of you are as new or newer than I am at this, I figured you might apprecite it.
I read it too.

I think that 90% of my problems are mental :confused: After walking the course, my goal was to run a 55. After watching the first heat, my goal was still a 55. My first run was a 52. I didn't know what to do after that. I think that's why I screwed up the rest of my runs. One of the other things that I need to do is take what I learn from each run and apply it to the following run. As I make my runs, I'm like a sponge, soaking up every last detail, but like an insane person I keep making nearly identical runs and expect faster times.

I think that I'm getting closer though. Things behind the wheel are starting to slow down a lot now and i can hear myself thinking as I go (or maybe I'm just hearing the rocks between my ears rolling around).

I'd like to get tires and some other parts, but even if they help me go faster, they won't help me go better. Driver needs improvement.

·
OMGWTFBBQ
11,262 Posts
Pinecone said:

BTW I was running the Roadster yesterday.
Pinecone,

What heat did you run? I'm having a really hard time remembering your car, although I did leave before the third heat started. Maybe my short term memory is declining to the same quality of my long term memory? :dunno:

·
OMGWTFBBQ
11,262 Posts
TD said:
And here's a great thread diagnosing understeer from bimmerforums- http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=34243

Especially scroll down to a post by "Jim O.".
I've been thinking a lot about understeer too lately. I cured the worst of mine by doing what I think was #1 on the list...slowing enough before trying to turn. :D The last two events have been much better for me (and, unfortunately, my GY RS-As) WRT understeer in the more dramatic turns. I brake earlier than I did that first time out. About half the time, I feel the ABS tickle just once or twice, which leads me to believe that I'm doing a decent job at threshold braking. I suspect that I need to start braking a tad bit earlier still since most of the way around these turns I can't give it gas because I start running wide.

What I feel like is now my main priority is getting my speed up through slaloms and quick transitions. I don't carry nearly as much speed through them as I know I can. I hesitate in a few places and I figure that costs me a bit...maybe as much as .25/cone (in the slaloms)? :dunno:

I think that I am in need of doing a little more experimentation at this point. Cones be damned, next time out, I'm going to charge really hard at the sections similar to those that I think I take over cautiously. In the grander turns, I'm going to calm down a little more and see what happens.

Also, I'm going to use shoe polish/chalk on my tires next time...I'm thinking that a PSI adjustment may be in order.

·
OMGWTFBBQ
11,262 Posts
nate328Ci said:

It isn't the quality, I know these are preview. I just don't really like the angles at all :dunno:
originally posted by me
He was set up at pole D...not where I would have set up on that course. We'll see what he got on Monday.
This is about what I was expecting. Pole D was in the middle of a big oval a as far away as he could get from any chane of a head (or tail) on shot at maximum lean angle...not even a good chance for a decent 3/4 shot unless someone got very out of shape. Also, the shutter speed was too fast, losing any further chance of capturing a sense of speed, momentum, inertia, etc.

·
OMGWTFBBQ
11,262 Posts
TD said:
A few of us (CD-55, JST and I) are a bit biased toward the early heats (you're done and have the rest of the day free). I'm sure we were all out of there before you showed up. But I look forward to meeting the rest of the locals. So I'll be on the lookout for you at future autox-es.
And all youguys took off quick after the first heat...not even sticking around to see me turn in a very mediocre first run :tsk:

·
OMGWTFBBQ
11,262 Posts
Pinecone said:
Plus running third heat gives you the chance to do fun runs. :thumbup:
I'm not sure that I want to know the answer to this, but how many fun runs did you get this time out?

I almost stuck around for the third heat in case fun runs were going to be an option.

·
OMGWTFBBQ
11,262 Posts
Nick325xiT 5spd said:
I was looking at my right front tire today... I seem to have worn off the right side corners of all the tread blocks. :p Very interesting look. :D
Depending on what state they were in before hand, I'd say you either pushed a lot or you need to bump up the psi in front...or both.

FWIW, my fronts are showing some interesting wear after three autox (the rears too, to a much lesser extent). The only way to describe it is to say that the surface kinda looks like the backside of a leaf. Sorta like the entire surface melted just a little bit. And then there's the sections with missing chunks :D

·
OMGWTFBBQ
11,262 Posts
Pinecone said:
You are required to stay and pick up the course after fun runs though.
Well, hell...JST and I swept part of the course early and we didn't get nothing out of it :mad: Sweeping wet gravel on top of wet asphalt that is breaking away as you sweep it ain't no fun :banghead:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.