BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
M Mad
10,475 Posts
Nick325xiT 5spd said:
I even met my goal... I stayed on the course all four times and only knocked over one cone. :)
Better than me. 3 off course runs. :dunno:

At least my last run counted.

I guess I thought the course was so easy I didn't need to pay attention.

·
M Mad
10,475 Posts
CD-55 said:

We may have been as slow as 15 - 20 MPH?

I pull off the shift to first while braking... so there is no speed loss there, but the shift back into 2nd was at full blast on a straight almost at the stop bo. I just hammered it as qucik as possible and lit-up the rear tires just the right amount. I noticed that many of the fastest people were doing the same thing.
Where were you downshifting? For the last loop?

I thought about it, and if I had managed to stay on course early, I might have tried it.

I ran the first loop in 1st, upshifted exiting the loop.

BTW I was running the Roadster yesterday.

·
M Mad
10,475 Posts
CD-55 said:

Yeah at the last loop. I downshifted while braking while at the double gate the first time. I drove around the loop in 1st, then just before crossing the stop timer I hit red line and QUICKLY shifted into 2nd.

As for the first loop I short shifted before getting there. I thought there was no need for 1st gear power there so I shifted into second at that first gate where you turn right to enter the 1st loop. At this point (the lanuch) I doubt I took 1st gear above 4,500-RPM before the shift.
Lokking back, I should have downshifted there also. I maintained 1st in the first loop to give myself some power to induce some oversteer (or at least more neutral steer). The last loop was plow city for the first half. I actually got power oversteer even in 2nd straightening out for the finish.

·
M Mad
10,475 Posts
clyde325xiT said:

Pinecone,

What heat did you run? I'm having a really hard time remembering your car, although I did leave before the third heat started. Maybe my short term memory is declining to the same quality of my long term memory? :dunno:
Dakar Yellow M Roadster. I ran third heat, but arrived before the second heat ended.

I saw the two X touriings run, but lost track of them before I could say hi.

I may miss the August 11 event (work travel). I am going to try to work it out to make the first heat at least.

·
M Mad
10,475 Posts
TD said:
A few of us (CD-55, JST and I) are a bit biased toward the early heats (you're done and have the rest of the day free). I'm sure we were all out of there before you showed up. But I look forward to meeting the rest of the locals. So I'll be on the lookout for you at future autox-es.
I normally am also. But I was out of the country and just got in on Friday. There was a chance I would have not gotten in until late Sat morning. So I planned on a later heat. :)

Plus running third heat gives you the chance to do fun runs. :thumbup:

·
M Mad
10,475 Posts
clyde325xiT said:

I'm not sure that I want to know the answer to this, but how many fun runs did you get this time out?

I almost stuck around for the third heat in case fun runs were going to be an option.
I didn't run as my wife had already repacked the car (I ran first half of heat). But I did ride on two runs with a new guy in his M3.

And when I left there was a line of people waiting to do runs, and many were running, then driving right back into the line. :)

You are required to stay and pick up the course after fun runs though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.