BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
41 - 60 of 82 Posts

·
M Mad
10,475 Posts
CD-55 said:

Yeah at the last loop. I downshifted while braking while at the double gate the first time. I drove around the loop in 1st, then just before crossing the stop timer I hit red line and QUICKLY shifted into 2nd.

As for the first loop I short shifted before getting there. I thought there was no need for 1st gear power there so I shifted into second at that first gate where you turn right to enter the 1st loop. At this point (the lanuch) I doubt I took 1st gear above 4,500-RPM before the shift.
Lokking back, I should have downshifted there also. I maintained 1st in the first loop to give myself some power to induce some oversteer (or at least more neutral steer). The last loop was plow city for the first half. I actually got power oversteer even in 2nd straightening out for the finish.

·
OMGWTFBBQ
11,262 Posts
Pinecone said:

BTW I was running the Roadster yesterday.
Pinecone,

What heat did you run? I'm having a really hard time remembering your car, although I did leave before the third heat started. Maybe my short term memory is declining to the same quality of my long term memory? :dunno:

·
A sudden sense of liberty
3,939 Posts
Tom, this was like your 3rd event, right? You looked very good out there (and posted very respectable times) for someone with that level of experience. I think your smoothess is good, and the lines that you picked seemed correct (though I think maybe you were taking that one turn at the top of the second loop a bit too wide). The difference between you and some of the faster drivers has a lot to do with experience, and being comfortable with the limits of the car. I'm always surprised by how hard the M3 can brake; I've found that I can drive a lot deeper into the corner than I might expect. I have a tendency to drive more by modulating the throttle than by really getting on the gas and the brake, and while this is great for smoothness, it isn't necessarily the fastest way around the course.

I'd do all the things recommended in the other post (ride with more experienced drivers, etc.), but I think you'll find as you do more events your skill (and your times) will inevitably improve.

I just wish I could have run the course when it was dry. And, Hunter, stop dissing 49s.

Just as a point of interest, for all the valiant efforts of the M3 and E46 crowd, when I left I think FTD was held by an E30 325i (or had the guy in the "318" taken it?).

TD said:
BTW, I saw this thread at bimmerforums about todays event- http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=35596

While I did not write the original post in that thread, I could have. The similarities are striking, down to the guy's times. I'm not quite as insecure about it, but I do definitely want to know what I need to do to get better. I'm defintely not embarassingly bad or anything, but I'm still a solid 3-5 seconds behind the truly leaders. And my times today were all 50.X s, just like the post's author.

Anyway, IMO, there was some good advice in the follow-ups, so, since I know a few of you are as new or newer than I am at this, I figured you might apprecite it.

·
10,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
I think it was the "318" which was acxtually a '94 325is that had the complete M3 drivetrain dropped in. It was awfully close, though.

·
Double Bimmers
1,176 Posts
Nick325xiT 5spd said:
I think it was the "318" which was acxtually a '94 325is that had the complete M3 drivetrain dropped in. It was awfully close, though.
Yep, and it was striped of anything with weight that did not help it go fast.

Oh yeah, it also had some go-fast engine mods. The guy was telling me how he built it from two wrecked M3's.

He also said he has another wreck M3, and he is going to put that motor in an E30!!!

G

·
I have been dissecting my runs in my head all weekend. While I know I need to work on a few things, I do think my tires pressures were off and were a contributing factor. I did not put enough pressure in the fronts (I only had a 40F 38R bias) and, hence, had tons of understeer with the grippy S-03s. My tail did not swing out at all. I should have dropped the pressure in the rears after the first or second run, but I did not.

·
10,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
*groan* I just checked my pressures and discovered that I had dropped to 34 up front. I must have set the pressures when it was very hot. (I'm an idiot.) Ah, well. I bet I'll get more speed next time around just from getting the fronts boosted.

G

·
Nick325xiT 5spd said:
*groan* I just checked my pressures and discovered that I had dropped to 34 up front. I must have set the pressures when it was very hot. (I'm an idiot.) Ah, well. I bet I'll get more speed next time around just from getting the fronts boosted.
It sounds like you had a very respectable first time out. Relax and quit beating yourself up.

·
OMGWTFBBQ
11,262 Posts
TD said:
And here's a great thread diagnosing understeer from bimmerforums- http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=34243

Especially scroll down to a post by "Jim O.".
I've been thinking a lot about understeer too lately. I cured the worst of mine by doing what I think was #1 on the list...slowing enough before trying to turn. :D The last two events have been much better for me (and, unfortunately, my GY RS-As) WRT understeer in the more dramatic turns. I brake earlier than I did that first time out. About half the time, I feel the ABS tickle just once or twice, which leads me to believe that I'm doing a decent job at threshold braking. I suspect that I need to start braking a tad bit earlier still since most of the way around these turns I can't give it gas because I start running wide.

What I feel like is now my main priority is getting my speed up through slaloms and quick transitions. I don't carry nearly as much speed through them as I know I can. I hesitate in a few places and I figure that costs me a bit...maybe as much as .25/cone (in the slaloms)? :dunno:

I think that I am in need of doing a little more experimentation at this point. Cones be damned, next time out, I'm going to charge really hard at the sections similar to those that I think I take over cautiously. In the grander turns, I'm going to calm down a little more and see what happens.

Also, I'm going to use shoe polish/chalk on my tires next time...I'm thinking that a PSI adjustment may be in order.

G

·
clyde325xiT said:
The turn4photo guy has his pictures up. First heat only, and I block the views of TD and CD in some of them :yikes:
I see one pic of JST on pg 9; a bunch of pics of JST, CD-55 and I on page 10; on pg 13, one of me with Clyde riding shotgun; more of CD-55 and I (one w/Clyde) on pg 15; and a few more of CD-55 and I on pg 19.

BTW, seeing the car in pics reminded me... Did we ever figure out if the guy with the silver '02 330i SP w/OEM 18s is on these boards? Man he was slow.

G

·
nate328Ci said:

Yup, it is :thumb:

Unfortunately, the photos are pretty poor, IMO.

edit: why is your head tilted so far right?
If you look at the ordering info, the smallest size is still rather large and expensive, so I assume there is a high-res copy of all of these filed somewhere.

And, if you look at my car, it is leaning to the left, hence the right tilt to my head.

·
10,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
TD said:

It sounds like you had a very respectable first time out. Relax and quit beating yourself up.
Don't worry. :) I had a great time. I'm just raring to go again. And thinking of joining the SCCA to get more seat time. :D

41 - 60 of 82 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.