BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to add a BMW aux adapter to my 04 330i with Sirius to hook up an MP3 player. If the satellite radio is currently using the factory auxiliary mode, and there are no other open mode options, how is the aux adapter/MP3 player accessed? I don't have NAV. Is the aux adapter for vehicles WITH NAV used for this application? Thanks

·
Ubergeek
15,646 Posts
I would like to add a BMW aux adapter to my 04 330i with Sirius to hook up an MP3 player. If the satellite radio is currently using the factory auxiliary mode, and there are no other open mode options, how is the aux adapter/MP3 player accessed? I don't have NAV. Is the aux adapter for vehicles WITH NAV used for this application? Thanks
The OEM Sirius module does NOT use the factory auxiliary mode. The Sirius adapter connects to the CD changer wiring in the trunk, while the aux adapter connects to the back of your radio. You can have both, you buy the standard non-nav aux kit.

·
Noone Special
673 Posts
But you do use the cd changer wiring when you hook up your aux iunput, that is what you disconnect when adding the aux input. So I am not sure how you would do both.

·
Registered
100 Posts
There are 2 connectors on the back of the radio. One goes to the trunk for the CD changer. The other is where you place the AUX input. It may currently be occupied with phone connections, but those are different pins.

If you don't have (or use) the phone connections, you can replace the entire connector with the AUX kit. Otherwise, you may have to swap some pins from one connector to the other.

I just added an AUX to my E39 and later this year, I'll add XM via the CD changer and some other electronic doo-hickeys.

Now, IF the Sirius doesn't use the CD changer connector, it is probably using the AUX connector slot - and then I think you have to figure out which one you want or how to get one moved.......

Thanks,

Dave

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Sirius DOES use the CD changer connector.
I know this is true, but I do think BMW at some point was thinking about allowing the Sirius to work through the other connector too. I was attempting to DIY an auxiliary input adapter a while ago, and I messed up the pinout, and my headunit got kicked into Sirius mode for a couple seconds... I guess those other 7 pins do have some sort of function

Also if I'm not mistaken, there is some kind of y-cable for the CD changer port right? I'm pretty sure I've seen people use the CD changer and Sirius on the same car

·
Ubergeek
15,646 Posts
Also if I'm not mistaken, there is some kind of y-cable for the CD changer port right? I'm pretty sure I've seen people use the CD changer and Sirius on the same car
There is a pass-through port on the sirius adapter that allows you to plug a CD changer into it.

I use the intravee+sirius together no problem.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I have the aux input on my car. I use it with an iphone to stream in Sirius and Pandora. The iphone is not the best for operating Sirius and Pandora while driving, but it is fine if you just want to set it and listen, and it is a lot cheaper than adding a Sirius tuner to the car. Between Sirius and Pandora, I prefer Pandora.

·
Noone Special
673 Posts
since everyone said I was wrong, then I have a questgion. I used a bmw aux kit and when I installed it, the directions had me remove the white connector on the back of the radio, pull the white connector out of the radio. Remove the white/red and white/blue wires (not really sure about the strip color)and swap them over to the connector from the aux harness. So the wires I removed were not for the cd changer like the directions said. I will look for the directions tomorrow I still have them somewhere.

ok disreguard, it was my ipod interface that uses the same wiring. I was very wrong this time around.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts