BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Under the lift arms
13,017 Posts
sign of needing a new fan clutch

although, when its 90 out you should be able to hear the main fan running *you should sound like a mac truck pulling away from a stop light

·
Registered
352 Posts
Aux Fan? Might be right if you have the A/C on. No fan clutch on the (electric) aux fan.

What year is your car? The early and late cars work differently.

Scott

·
Registered
352 Posts
If its running, I wouldn't worry about it. The usual failure issue/mode is not running.

Now that I've replaced mine, it runs all the time with the A/C on (in less than 90 deg).

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
If it's hot out and you have your AC on its normal for the electric fan to operate on high, especially when the car is stationary.

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
If it's hot out and you have your AC on its normal for the electric fan to operate on high, especially when the car is stationary.
and if it is just turn on and jumps right to high your thermistor on the output of your radiator (cold side) may be shot easy fix 20bucks or you could have something else failed and the dme is not getting a proper reading so it turns the fan on 'just in case'.

·
Registered
15,576 Posts
Your aux fan speed is controlled by the engine computer, based on coolant temp.

Did it just start doing this, or have you just begun to notice?

And, how do you know it's "running full blast?"

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
it runs full blast when I have the AC on and sounds like an airplane people even notice its so loud, when its under 80 or so outside, doesn't run so fast

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
just to be clear, ac on, under 80, it runs but not so fast.. Normal operation in all. Things that you can do to help.. make sure you have plenty of fluid and the radiator is clean and clear of any debris.. Remove any aftermarket stuff on the front air intakes.. consider the health and age of your t-stat.. if aged.. get a new one.. and don't forget to burp the system when you're done..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts