BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi:

My E39 is 2003 11/2003 build, non nav, non DSP.

I got the Aux kit from the dealer and would like to install it myself and they asked for $75 to install.
I searched the forums for instructions on the actual install.
http://www.eurobuyers.com/instinstr/auxkitdir.pdf

But i am looking for instructions on how to remove the trim and the Radio and Business CD. Don't want to mess up the interior. Please help me.

If my searching capabilities were not good..please forgive me and point me to the correct doc.

Regs,
Avi

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Aux

:cry:

I am sure i read in the forums that build later than 09/2003 have the Aux installed
and just need the Aux wire part to be installed and pulled into the glove box.

Am i missing something? Any E39 installs..a little help please else i will return the part to the dealer.

Please !!!!

Regs,
Avi

·
Registered
793 Posts
McMannusBMW said:
Whoa, wait a minute...since when have we been able can install aux-in adapters on E39 head units? If it's always been possible, why did BMW exclude E39s from being adaptable with IPODs? :dunno:
The BMW aux-input adapter has been around for a long time for 2003 E39/46s. No steering wheel controls, but the audio from your aux-input device will come through the audio system.

Here is a DIY website for the adapter: http://www.mattmcnulty.com/325xi/DIY/aux_input.html

Hope this helps....JL

·
Freude am Fahren
2,400 Posts
Simple install, if it's the same as my DSP w/ Business CD. You just pull the volume control knob off, insert a small allen wrench through that small hole, turn 1/4 turn counter clockwise, and the MID comes out. Loosen the two screws that are now exposed on the bottom edge of the CD unit. Once they are loose, it slides out tracks. The aux connection is on the back of it. NOTE: It plugs into the same connector used for the trunk-mounted CD changer, so you can't have both.

The longest part of the install was figuring out where I wanted to mount the plug. Here is what I did.

·
resident, old fart
1,870 Posts
:cry:

I am sure i read in the forums that build later than 09/2003 have the Aux installed
and just need the Aux wire part to be installed and pulled into the glove box.

Am i missing something? Any E39 installs..a little help please else i will return the part to the dealer.

Please !!!!

Regs,
Avi
Essentially correct, but it is radios installed after 9/2002 that have easy aux. input, not 2003. earlier E39 radios can be modified with the use of an external interface that plugs into the 6-CD changer wiring so you must not have the changer-just the CD player above the MID unit.

·
WTB - your E39 M5
6,216 Posts
Simple install, if it's the same as my DSP w/ Business CD. You just pull the volume control knob off, insert a small allen wrench through that small hole, turn 1/4 turn counter clockwise, and the MID comes out. Loosen the two screws that are now exposed on the bottom edge of the CD unit. Once they are loose, it slides out tracks. The aux connection is on the back of it. NOTE: It plugs into the same connector used for the trunk-mounted CD changer, so you can't have both.

The longest part of the install was figuring out where I wanted to mount the plug. Here is what I did.

Im afraid to drill into my dash like that though! :bawling::eek:
I would have to guts to drill into my glove box though.

What size drill bit do I need?

·
Registered
141 Posts
+1 - 540iman

I think this attachment will be useful for those who have 2003 E39 (late 9/2002 production and on). Due to the attachment file size limitation, I removed the pages which covered installation in other BMW models. What is excluded on the original document are the details of other procedures like the CD/MID and GloveBox removal. I think there are many sources in the internet to get an ideal how these are removed.

Attachments

·
WTB - your E39 M5
6,216 Posts
+1 - 540iman

I think this attachment will be useful for those who have 2003 E39 (late 9/2002 production and on). Due to the attachment file size limitation, I removed the pages which covered installation in other BMW models. What is excluded on the original document are the details of other procedures like the CD/MID and GloveBox removal. I think there are many sources in the internet to get an ideal how these are removed.
Thats perfect! :thumbup:

Thanks

·
Freude am Fahren
2,400 Posts
Im afraid to drill into my dash like that though! :bawling::eek:
I would have to guts to drill into my glove box though.

What size drill bit do I need?
I don't remember the drill size but, it's easy to gauge from the little screw-on ring. The hole is NOT in the dash. It is in the stupid, breaks-if-you-use-it, cup holder. So, it was low risk. But I did have to pull out the cup holders to drill and install it.

·
WTB - your E39 M5
6,216 Posts
I don't remember the drill size but, it's easy to gauge from the little screw-on ring. The hole is NOT in the dash. It is in the stupid, breaks-if-you-use-it, cup holder. So, it was low risk. But I did have to pull out the cup holders to drill and install it.
Oh, I see. I still would like it hidden away in the glove box.
It doesnt look bad but it doesnt really look stock.

·
Registered
11 Posts
which connection

I need some help too please. I have a 2003 540 with the premium sound and dsp. I have the Aux kit from BMW. The directions suck. When I pulled out the MID, I found one 12-pin connector attached to it. The pins have wires in them in the locations the directions indicate to plug the new wires into. From reading Chiefwej's description, it sounds like I shoul actually be plugging this into the back of the cd player just above the MID. Did I understand this correctly?

Thanks in advance for any reply.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.