BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Russell
958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Anyone use Factory Radio Service in Rancho Cucamonga, Ca to install an aux jack for an ipod or iphone? Cost is $60 plus $15 shipping?

A John Nguyen in the same community offers the same service at same price. It may be the same shop.

·
Russell
958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
bump

·
BMW CCA Memeber #445389
3,287 Posts
That may not work because our cars have an auto flip function. The cassette may be hit or miss.
I have a Harmon/Kardon Drive + Play. It's awesome.

Sent from Joe's iPhone using BimmerApp

·
Russell
958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
You could use one of those cassettes with a wire on it to hook up to your iPod. $10-$15 on Amazon.
Thanks but that approach gives poor sound quality. The aux connection/modification is wired to the preamp.

·
Russell
958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That may not work because our cars have an auto flip function. The cassette may be hit or miss.
I have a Harmon/Kardon Drive + Play. It's awesome.

Thanks, tell me more. Does it work with the stock 95 BMW radio. Where is the best cource to purchase?

·
BMW CCA Memeber #445389
3,287 Posts
It was a gift, but I'm pretty sure try just went to the local mobile audio shop an had one ordered. They're pretty pricey if I remember. Now there's ones with navigation or blue tooth integration. Have looked into it since I've had mine for 3 or 4 years now.

I'm sure a google search will turn up all you need to know.

·
BMW CCA Memeber #445389
3,287 Posts
Comin right up

·
BMW CCA Memeber #445389
3,287 Posts
vid up

·
SawheadE34
457 Posts
That's freakin sweet! How does the harmon kardon deal get its power? And does it charge the ipod while it's plugged in? And how's the sound quality on it? Maybe it's just my area but fm transmitters suck out here. Awesome progress on the cams. When do you expect it to be done?

I ask alot of questions apparently:slap:

·
BMW CCA Memeber #445389
3,287 Posts
I had it installed. It was 4 years ago when i was a n00b. it sounds great. not alot of static at all.
As for charging, i think it depends because i have a 3Gs iPhone so it has that "Charginf not supported with this device" b.s. goin on. It used to charge my old ipod.

Cams, maybe a couple weeks. I need some free time for it.

·
Registered
124 Posts
The harmon Kardon thingy is a FM transmitter... It's pretty neat, I had the older one in my TL

I thought about upgrading it to that one because the transmitter sucked for the baby penis antenna and my area... I wouldn't recommend it because its selective on where it works, Around my town it didn't work well enough... It was always a hit and miss until I got closer to the east bay area then it worked well.

I am curious about that aux thing for the stock casset player... I wouldn't mind putting my stock head unit back into my E34 if it works out (the alpine H/U i have now is a little too blingy)

·
SawheadE34
457 Posts
The harmon Kardon thingy is a FM transmitter... It's pretty neat, I had the older one in my TL

I thought about upgrading it to that one because the transmitter sucked for the baby penis antenna and my area... I wouldn't recommend it because its selective on where it works, Around my town it didn't work well enough... It was always a hit and miss until I got closer to the east bay area then it worked well.

I am curious about that aux thing for the stock casset player... I wouldn't mind putting my stock head unit back into my E34 if it works out (the alpine H/U i have now is a little too blingy)
I wouldn't bother. I tried the casset player deal and it didn't work out too good. The quality sucked and the volume was way off on mine. Haven't heard anything good from others who have tried.

·
Russell
958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
apparently no one has tried the aux jack deal i first mentioned?

·
Humble E34 lover
5,519 Posts
I tried the cassette adapter. The sound was actually excellent. However ..... It almost would not eject :eek:

I tried two different ones and had the same result with both.

Steve

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
I did not. I never subscribed to the ipod thingy. I did not like to be restricted by format. Everything out there (Music) is available in MP3 and is universal. And with the advent of the thumb drive the Ipod was useless to me. I have a few 64 gig thumb drives loaded with music and it plugs right in to the usb port in my radio. I can go from album to album, song to song or shuffle if I want to.

Keep it simple, keep it inexpensive and keep folks from breaking into your car to steal all the fancy shmancy electronics. LOL... For folks who just gotta have an ipod in the car, sony makes a great sounding head unit that has USB, Aux and Ipod direct connect for around 150 to 200 bucks.

Thats what I have in both my e34s. I just do not use the Ipod direct connect as I do not use an Ipod LOL...

·
Russell
958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
I did not. I never subscribed to the ipod thingy. I did not like to be restricted by format. Everything out there (Music) is available in MP3 and is universal. And with the advent of the thumb drive the Ipod was useless to me. I have a few 64 gig thumb drives loaded with music and it plugs right in to the usb port in my radio. I can go from album to album, song to song or shuffle if I want to.

Keep it simple, keep it inexpensive and keep folks from breaking into your car to steal all the fancy shmancy electronics. LOL... For folks who just gotta have an ipod in the car, sony makes a great sounding head unit that has USB, Aux and Ipod direct connect for around 150 to 200 bucks.

Thats what I have in both my e34s. I just do not use the Ipod direct connect as I do not use an Ipod LOL...
Thanks,
I do like my iphone and music is secondary. However, i just wanted to be able to keep my car's stock look and be able to set up an aux jack on the pre amp. I know it has been done and works fine. I would prefer not to add a non factory radio.

The sources I mentioned apparently are known to perform the modification. However three requests for service to Factory radio service web site go unanswered. john Nyguen's e-mail responses are slow and incomplete. However, we shall see. if I could find a local source Iwould go with that route.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
I understand what you mean. Some of the newer head units look too outlandish for our cars. It took a while for me to find one that looked good in the car and was simple yet eligant. What sucks now is that I have a six disk CD changer in the touring that is collecting dust. LOL... It is factory so it will not easily hook up to the Sony Head Unit. Not that I need it... :eek:((

1 - 20 of 20 Posts