BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just curious...is the aux input a standard mini-stereo input? i'm heading to pick up my ED, so i want to make sure that i bring the right cable to hook up my ipod to the stereo system.... :bigpimp:

·
Registered
261 Posts
yeah standard Head phone jack - 1/8". I plugged my Ipod shuffel in and it was a much better way to test than FM radio.

·
Registered
111 Posts
wajiheffendi said:
just curious...is the aux input a standard mini-stereo input? i'm heading to pick up my ED, so i want to make sure that i bring the right cable to hook up my ipod to the stereo system.... :bigpimp:
I'm right in front of you Waj....picking up my 330 in Munich on Monday. I even made a special trip to Best Buy to get a stereo patch cable for my MP3 player. I'll be in the area until May 25th so look for the 330 with the ugly American yellow front turn signals.

·
Registered
214 Posts
wajiheffendi said:
Hey buddy! It is 1/8. I tested an ipod & axim last saturday. You can use it as an external speaker for a gps unit voice command as well :thumbup:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Has anyone been able to find a cable that will actually connect an iPod to the aux input jack in the center console? I'm no techie, but my dealer has no clue and just wants to sell me the adapter for the glovebox even though they don't have the part and don't even have firm prices for it yet. I am struck by the irony of all the hoopla around the BMW-iPod integration and yet I cannot even play my iPod in my '06 at all...somebody please tell me there is a cable available and where to get it. Thanks

wajiheffendi said:

·
Registered
171 Posts
Any stereo 1/8" to 1/8", or mini-jack to mini-jack cable.

From another thread "In the U.S. I'd send somebody to Radio Shack or Fry's Electronics to get it"

·
Registered
37 Posts
SpeedWeed said:
Has anyone been able to find a cable that will actually connect an iPod to the aux input jack in the center console?
Get a Belkin Auto Kit for iPod w/ Dock Connector (Part #F8V7058-APL) and a 1' Shielded Stereo Audio Cable from Radio Shack (Catalog #42-2497).

The Belkin kit has a dock connector to fit your iPod, iPod Mini, or iPod Photo. This one cable connection carries the power for keeping your battery charged, and the line out from the iPod to feed the aux in to the car.

There is a line out port on the Belkin near where the cable connects to the charger. Use the 1' stereo audio cable from Radio Shack to connect the Belkin to the aux in. Then adjust the gain (volume) on the Belkin so the music coming from the iPod approximately matches the volume of your other sources such as radio and CD.

This whole setup fits nicely under the armrest, and one cable (with the iPod dock connector) is all that needs to plug in to your iPod.

Attachments

·
Registered
160 Posts
The answer is Radio Shack, Fry's Electronics or any other audio/video store.

You need a 3.5mm to 3.5mm stereo audio cable. That's also referred to as 1/8".

·
Registered
225 Posts
Armen52 said:
The answer is Radio Shack, Fry's Electronics or any other audio/video store.

You need a 3.5mm to 3.5mm stereo audio cable. That's also referred to as 1/8".
As "slowrider" said above, this cable will connect to the headphone port of your iPod. This is NOT a good solution and it will not sound very good at all. The Belkin Auto Kit basically lets you connect the iPod to your Aux Input via the Dock Connector and is a true audio out (line out) solution. While it is not a digital out, it will sound many x's better than connecting to the heaadphone port...

·
Le fabuleux destin
568 Posts
mde83 said:
As "slowrider" said above, this cable will connect to the headphone port of your iPod. This is NOT a good solution and it will not sound very good at all. The Belkin Auto Kit basically lets you connect the iPod to your Aux Input via the Dock Connector and is a true audio out (line out) solution. While it is not a digital out, it will sound many x's better than connecting to the heaadphone port...
Actually it sounds fine using the headphone jack, just turn the volume up to about 90%. It's a 'great solution' in the sense that total cost is about $3. I have chosen this option as I am waiting for the second generation iPodYourBMW which will show the track listings on screen.

Having said that, the Belkin setup would be pretty sweet but can you actually close the arm rest down or is the Belkin power plug too tall?

So the real question I have for you geniuses is how to get Aux be one of the options you get when you hit the change source button on the steering wheel. Currently the only way I can select Aux is with iDrive. When I use the 'mode' selector it cycles through AM, FM and CD but not Aux.

·
Registered
160 Posts
To make the headphone jack output sound better you want the iPod to do most of the amplification as opposed to your car's stereo. So like Blax says, turn the volume up on the iPod, before you do on the car.

Also, the Belkin kit initially takes sound from the dock output but where does it go from there? How are you getting the sound into the stereo from the Belkin adapter? With a 3.5mm cable from the Belkin adapter to your AUX input as best I can tell from the jack on the adapter.

So theoretically there is more chance you'll get better sound without the Belkin middleman. In real use there might not be much difference but then, what was the point of the Belkin anyway? Nothing from a sound quality point of view I'm afraid.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Blax said:
Well the power supply is nice.
Yes it is. But it doesn't give you any advantage in sound quality. And there are certainly other options out there for power as well, which may or may not be cheaper. So don't get stuck on the Belkin either.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Blax said:
Having said that, the Belkin setup would be pretty sweet but can you actually close the arm rest down or is the Belkin power plug too tall?
The arm rest closes fine with the Belkin. It will also close and latch with the cable out too, so if you want to have the iPod mounted in the cabin somewhere, you can do that.

The advantages of the Belkin are that you get battery charging and true line out with adjustable gain, all with a single cable connector. The total cost of the setup is about $40.

I'm sure you could get similar sound quality out of the headphone jack, but I like the dock connector coming out of the bottom of the iPod better, plus you can set the gain once and not have to worry about the volume level of the iPod.

I am also wondering, like others have, why the Aux input can't be selected from the steering wheel. Hopefully, a future iDrive update can fix that!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Armen52 said:
Yes it is. But it doesn't give you any advantage in sound quality. And there are certainly other options out there for power as well, which may or may not be cheaper. So don't get stuck on the Belkin either.
I have the belkin kit. It on my system on the acura, I am still waiting for the 325i to come in. The sound is better with the belkin kit. The reason Y is that I believe that, I believe there is a mini amp or a booster in the unit. I read it takes a cleaner signal from the bottom connector port. (It does not take the sound from the headphone jack on the ipod). Then boost the signal to the mini jack wire. I used to have to crank up my ipod all the way and adjust the settings to make the sound levels every now and then to match. Also another thing I will never forget to do is lower back the volumne on the ipod. Man my ear drums paid that day after forgetting to do that after reconnecting my earphone to use on the train. After getting the belkin kit I never have to worry volumne levels.

Here is a review on ipodlounge about the kit that I found:
http://www.ipodlounge.com/index.php/reviews/comments/belkin-auto-kit-ipod/

Some info from belkin
http://search.belkin.com/cgi-bin/Ms...6226688&query=F8V7058APL*&hiword=F8V7058APL*+

1 - 15 of 15 Posts