BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question. Is it possible to adjust the line level associated with the AUX line? When I plug in my iPod at about 80% of the iPod volume, I have to turn up the system volume about 40% to get the same output level as the other stereo sources.

This bothers the heck out of me because when you switch back to another source (e.g. SAT or FM), you get knocked over by the "jump" in the sound level.

I just had my car in for service and asked the dealer (Sterling BMW, Newport Beach, CA) to adjust the output level and they weren't able to make the change. Has anyone been able to have this adjusted? Am I the only one with this issue?

Thank you in advance for your responses.

·
swinging a big stick
3,940 Posts
I can adjust the AUX level in my E39, so I am sure you can in your 6 series. There are 5 levels, numbered 1 through 5 under my Audio menu.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I will look for it. Funny the dealership wasn't able to support the request!

·
Banned
8,650 Posts
KidK said:
Thanks, I will look for it. Funny the dealership wasn't able to support the request!
I don't believe there is an input level adjustment with the AUX jack and iDrive equipped cars.

·
Banned
1,421 Posts
No level adjust. Best to use line out if you have it. Headphone out is not the best but will do. But you need to crank up the volume to max. Now there is something you could do to get better bass response and perhaps just a little more volume here:
http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=23890

I have not done it as my source material is not all that great (FM recorded onto cassette tape). I use MP3 on CD, DVD and DL-DVD in place of an iPod.

There are some after market devices that some folks like to use that they claim help in this regard such as from Monster and the like.

·
Registered
551 Posts
I forgot who originally posted this connector from Sendstation. It eliminates the volume adjustment for the aux input when using an iPod. I ordered it online and received it in about a week. Its been working well in my car for about two months.

·
Grand Panjandrum
296 Posts
I asked a question with a similar thrust (though in a less specific manner) on the audio board on this forum and received several flame responses. Despite the unhelpful nature of those responses I was able to gather that there was some belief that there are adjustments made to the audio output level when the aux line is installed and for this to be done correctly one needs to leave one's iPod with the installer.

As it turns out, my dealer told me they would need my iPod when I scheduled the install but said they didn't need it when I dropped the car off. Go figure... Anyway, I find that the output volume discrepancy between my aux volume and the other feeds is small enough for me to deal with - I keep the iPod volume at the maximum level and I also use the dock for "line-out" to the aux input.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.