BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a 2006 X3 and would like to have an input for my iPod installed. Does anyone have any guidance on which option is the better one, taking into account price, sound quality, ease of use, etc. Does the added integration the interface offers really justify the price?

·
Registered
209 Posts
all the aux input does is connect to the outpot of ur ipod. like you would headphones. so u control everything on ur ipod. i think if you use it infrequently its not a bad option. but if you plan to use it alot you will probably want the integration so you can control from the car, etc.

i dont know the exact cost involved. its really for you to determine what its worth to you. for me, i connect the ipod to aux just for short drives to the gym so it doesnt inconvenience me very much

·
Ukemi - that's how I roll
4,252 Posts
Go for interface--it will be much more functional.

·
Registered
209 Posts
thanks for your thoughts. the interface is $350 installed, while the auxiliary input is $150 installed.
i see, in my 07 X3 the aux came with the car. me persoanlly, if i had to pay for one or the other, id probably get the integration kit then.

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
Does the added integration the interface offers really justify the price?
Keep in mind that it is not really full "integration". See:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=314781

(Depends how you feel about pre-determined playlists.)

My take is that a simple AUX IN has now become almost standard in any new vehicle.
So I think it makes sense to upgrade to that level first, then see if you really want more functionality.
(Of course, the volume buttons on the steering wheel work for you in this option, but everything else is done through the MP3 player.)

My preference would be to migrate from AUX IN to USB (when feasible) and skip the "iPod Integration" step.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thank you, supercourse -- very helpful. i didn't realize that i'd only be able to scroll through pre-established playlists and "all songs" with the interface. i guess i'm pretty old school in that i still listen to albums, so if i'm going to be doing most of my navigating on the ipod itself anyway, the auxiliary input would make the most sense. that's the setup we have in my wife's car, and it seems to work just fine for her. the only issue is that my dealer says the aux input is currently on back order, so of course they're pushing the more expensive option.

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
If you decide on the back-ordered Aux-in kit, the dealer will probably want to install it in the glove box as per the official instruction sheet.

If you think you can convince them to be innovative, there are other locations that are generally agreed to be better, and even easier to do.

Such as, in the ashtray, if your iPod model will fit in there.

Or, if you like the idea of having it front and center, some owners have installed it just above the ashtray on the right hand side of where there are buttons for DSC, FTM, etc.

The dashboard storage bin (for non-Nav.) is another easy option.

The storage bin between the seats location takes more work, and most people agree that the 2007- on factory install at the back of that console is not the best choice in general.

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
I just purchased a 2006 X3 and would like to have an input for my iPod installed. Does anyone have any guidance on which option is the better one, taking into account price, sound quality, ease of use, etc. Does the added integration the interface offers really justify the price?
You can go with Dice or if you can get one of the older style IceLink Plus devices, they still work well in X3. I got one setup in my wife's X3 now, and it's pretty nice. Even better in some aspects than iPod/USB (6FL) option on the '07 328 I drive. Works with iPhone as well, including muting the music when calls come in, charging iPhone. A lot better integration than with AUX.

Good luck! :bigpimp:

·
Ukemi - that's how I roll
4,252 Posts
I don't use the BMW or DICE but an Alpine that shows full display which gives me greater latitude on placement. I originally had my Ipod mounted in the center utility tray (where sat nav goes). I have since moved it to the slim line portion of the arm rest as it is not heated by the sun, and stays warmer in frigid temps. Remember an Ipod is a glorifed hard drive and it doesnt like extreme temps. Don't have to lean anywhere to get to it that way, and not a highly used space.

·
Registered
E64 650 & F25 X3 3.0D
64 Posts
The Audiovox-Dice units either the Silverline Duo or the Mediabridge allow you to select Playlist, Albums, Artists or Podcasts, so you aren't just limited to playlists.
The Mediabridge 1500 is full USB & Bluetooth streaming so your music source could be a thumb drive via USB or Andriod phone via BT, so you are also not limited to iPod/iPhone combinations. Though Internet radio via an iPhone, integrated in your car by a Audiovox-Dice unit is pretty cool

·
Registered
130 Posts
When I looked into this, the BMW ipod adapter did charge the ipod but forced you to select music throught he BMW MMI display/controls for the radio. Therefore, without Nav, it would be a real pain to try to live with this over the long run. I also heard too many bad stories about problems iwth Dice and USA Spec to make those alternaitves viable although some people had no problems at all. So I just decided to use the aux-in approach which required me to do nothing but buy a cable.

·
Registered
24 Posts
The aux-in adapter worked well for me for several reasons. I prefer to work with the iphone touchscreen to find music than BMWs buttons. Also, I could also listen to pandora, spotify, npr, etc. I'm not sure how this works for the interface. Thirdly, I liked the idea of not being locked in to the apple. If some whiz-bang android doo-dad comes out tomorrow, I can just plug that in to the standard mini 3.5mm plug. Lastly, the price was $30 bucks, and a couple beers to install the aux-in. I removed the ash tray, drilled a hole to install the input, and now my iphone sits where the ashtray was. I found some links here and a youtube clip to make the install fairly straight forward. I can post pics if you decide to go this way.

The main downside is that you have to plug in to lighter for power, but I found I rarely need power day-to-day, just road trips.

-- J.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just got a 2006 x3 m sport and love it. the only problem is that when I use the aux input with my ipod it sometimes just automatically switches over to fm radio and I can't switch back to the aux mode. can anyone shed some light on this situation? Killer ride otherwise

·
Registered
24 Posts
Ha, funny that you post this spacewrangler because I just experienced the same thing in my car today and ten minutes later this thread subscription email popped up.

I have experienced this twice before and it just goes away on restarting the car. Today however what seemed to make it go away right away was to unplug the iphone from the cigarette lighter. I forget the technical term for the interference you can get when you plug in to lighter and plug in via aux at the same time, but maybe its related to this problem. I dunno.

I haven't reproduced the condition again, so we'll see.

Were you plugged in via cigarette lighter as well?

-- J.

·
Registered
24 Posts
ground loop. that's the technical term.

well seems like its a common problem judging from the search results on this forum.

apparently, you can buy "ground loop isolators" that fix this. I found some amazon for $12. they can be installed behind the dash or you can just buy one that replaces your aux cable. some people buy parts from radio shack and make their own.

-- j.

·
Function over fashion
887 Posts
My 2 cents: I have the Mediabridge (DICE) thing in my 2001 e46 and absolutely love it. I can charge the phone if I want, independently of the system, or with the system. Any music source (e.g. pandora, spotify, playlists, whatever) works through the bluetooth perfectly, the phone can be in my pocket, and it mutes for phone calls, which can be answered or ended with the wheel controls. Tracks change with the wheel controls, too. I can also bring a little USB thumb drive with some new music on it and plug that in, which is great and SO much better than a CD in my opinion.

I'm planning to get the same for my wife's '07 X3 with nav, UNLESS the factory bluetooth and the aux audio in prove to be easy enough to work with, and use simultaneously. But I've not been impressed with anything called 'factory bluetooth' in a car yet.

I actually just installed a simple bluetooth stereo setup in my old truck, it's completely hidden, no wires or speakers visible anywhere, and works great!

·
Registered
6 Posts
This makes a lot of sense because I didn't experience the problem until I plugged it into the charger. I've also used my ipod with the aux chord today without using the charger and have not experienced the problem yet so I think yall hit the nail on the head. Thanks for the help ill try what you said, let me know how yours goes

1 - 20 of 28 Posts