BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having trouble getting my new Auxiliary Fan (between radiator & engine) to turn on. The original got fried, smoke everywhere. I though my engine was on fire it was smoking so bad. Got a new fan assembly and Coolant temp sensor (@BMA Parts, great deal). Installed everything checked the fuse and nothing. It will not turn on at all. Car runs fine while driving but once I sit idle for a few minutes car starts to over heat. I've checked the connections to the fan assembly but there is no power to the fan at all with or without the engine running or when the engine is cold or hot. I've also replaced the final stage resister and I just can not figure it out.

I've read various postings and tried I think all possible fixes but still can't get it to turn on. :bawling:

Am I looking at 2 different problems, the over heating at idle and Aux Fan not working?

Is there a fuse or relay I'm missing? Any suggestions? I'm about to cave and take it to my mechanic.

Oh also blew the top radiator hose and replace it.

Marco
1999 328i

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Anyone have wiring diagram for power to the Auxiliary Fan (the fan between the radiator and engine). Trying to figure out where it get's it's power from. Right now no power to the fan.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
sixkiller,

Thanks for the suggestion and that's what I'll be doing over the holiday. I was hoping someone had an electronic copy of the wire diagram for it which would make it easier. I might just bi-pass the existing wire and go to the fuse.

·
Properly chastised re: Xi
1,007 Posts
Car runs fine while driving but once I sit idle for a few minutes car starts to over heat.
Keep in mind, it's been posted repeatedly that these motors do NOT deal with overheating well at all. They are apparently not built to withstand overheating well. With lots of cars, you can keep driving by cranking the cabin heater, opening the windows, and driving to the stealer. This car is apparently NOT one of them.

I've also replaced the final stage resister and I just can not figure it out.
The final stage resistor is for the cabin ventilation, NOT the engine cooling system. As for the fan in front of the radiator vs. behind radiator, I assume you have a manual tranny, since automatics use a fan directly driven by the water pump, it's not an electric motor. Correct?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts