BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good day gents, reading this post has peaked my interest in adding an auxiliary connector to my 03/02 production model 530i. I spoke with a rep at ECS Tuning and for the pre September model there is no option. Can anyone point me in the direction I am looking for. I want to keep stock stereo and have use of my steering wheel controls. Thanks

·
Registered
4,101 Posts
You can do a few things:
-Grom or other aux device that replaces the cd changer
-Replace the head unit with a post September one the do the aux feed
-FM transmitter
-et al

There are plenty of posts/threads on this. Search for "aux input"

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
The "head unit" is the MID. Multi information display. The CD player is what houses the ability to add factory auxiliary input. I've only installed 10 or so of them in the past 2 years. The CD player is what recognizes the aux input, not the MID.

·
Just call me 777.
852 Posts
Another confirmation. With the OEM Radio the CD player is more like the actual headunit and the MID is the screen. When the CD player (or cassette) is removed the MID only has OBC functionality.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Another confirmation. With the OEM Radio the CD player is more like the actual headunit and the MID is the screen. When the CD player (or cassette) is removed the MID only has OBC functionality.
Exactly. Its why it's called a MID (Multi Information Display)

It displays data received from other modules and components.

·
Registered
7,480 Posts
One advantage of a Grom or other aux input device is they will also charge your device while it is plugged in, saving on cords running around your dash....worth considering.

·
Under the lift arms
13,017 Posts
you might want to research a lot more b4 spending money... iTs actually the software version that is important.. Not so much the production date

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
you might want to research a lot more b4 spending money... iTs actually the software version that is important.. Not so much the production date
Every e39 built post 09/02 has the correct software for auxiliary function. That's why people recommend the build date. Sure, very few pre September cars may have had the proper software, but ALL post September cars do.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts