Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Most new cars now come with at least one auxiliary power adapter - I found out that you can purchase one that plugs right into the flashlight charging socket in the glove box for $9.00 from your dealer.

·
OMGWTFBBQ
11,262 Posts
thaydith said:
Most new cars now come with at least one auxiliary power adapter - I found out that you can purchase one that plugs right into the flashlight charging socket in the glove box for $9.00 from your dealer.
I can also plug into the one behind the left rear set in my wagon :D

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
thaydith said:
I have it. It works great. Got it for about 7 bucks with BMW CCA discount at dealer.

·
Raoul Duke
12,582 Posts
Any problems with the cord haning out of the closed glove box? Does it pinch the cord, etc?

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
I have the Aux plug and love it. It's nice being able to hide away the cable and only bring it out when I need to plug my cell phone in for charging. The cable does get compressed with the door closed but I would not say it is dangerous. Ther first several inches of the cord (from the flashligh plug side) are covered by 2 layers of plastic for protection. There is the black cord itself then a clear plastic covering. :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
According to my testing today it appears to be on all the time. Even with the key removed I still get power through my cell phone charger.

·
Think Snow!
415 Posts
GimpyMcFarlan said:
According to my testing today it appears to be on all the time. Even with the key removed I still get power through my cell phone charger.
It will shut off when you lock the car. Otherwise I think it stays on for like ten minutes just like the rest of the accessories.

·
They call 'em rigs here
859 Posts
auxiliary power plug

Does anybody know a website where I can order one of those auxiliary power/flashlight plug adapters. (I live 3 hours from the nearest dealer).

·
Registered
70 Posts
Yes, you can order it from BAVAUTO.com or by phone with them. I don't have the catalog with me at the moment but if you want I can get you their part number at BAVauto.com let me know

Matthew

·
Banned
9,903 Posts
Has anyone seen/heard of a DIY job adding a plug socket in the trunk somewhere of their E46? for a variety of reasons, this would enormously convenient and useful to me, so I have been laying plans to do one myself. It would help to leverage someone else's experience, of course.

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
RKT BMR said:
Has anyone seen/heard of a DIY job adding a plug socket in the trunk somewhere of their E46? for a variety of reasons, this would enormously convenient and useful to me, so I have been laying plans to do one myself. It would help to leverage someone else's experience, of course.
Ron Stygar did on his M coupe.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25528

·
King of Rear Clunks
12,903 Posts
RKT BMR said:
Wouldn't be too tough. Battery is already back there, so you'll need a fuseholder, some wire (good 12AWG should probably suffice) and I'd recommend either the single socket out of the back of a Touring or a dual from a X5 for the OE look. Cut a hole to fit the socket, build up the thickness of the trunk liner to hold the socket in place, fuse and wire the socket, and you'll be set.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I want a 12V plug in the trunk too.

I asked the dealer to install such a socket, but he said it comes only factory installed in a "convenience package" and cannot do it aftermarket.
This should go on the "to do" list as soon as the warranty expires.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Here's the part number in case anyone wants it:

82 11 0 004 073

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
CascadeTelcom said:
Does the 82110004073 part number include the four items mentioned in the Ron Stygar thread?
Nope. It's just the PN for the adapter that plugs into the glove box flashlight socket.

·
Go Huskies
220 Posts
Trunk mounted power socket

I just ordered the components for a "Stygar" trunk mounted power socket. Has anyone added the socket assembly to their 46-convertible? I would like to know where to mount/drill the hole for the unit and how it was secured to the applicable panel to ensure that it wouldn't pull free when removing the male plug from my beverage cooler? Is there some type of backing plate for the socket mounting assembly that doesn't appear in the parts diagram? :confused:

·
Registered
88 Posts
wait a second.

so this is all i need to say, plug in my IPOD?? because there have been several DIY's posted about installing an actual AUX input into the glove box (by drilling a hole, not using the flashlight charger)....did these people just not realize that the charger had this capability or is there some benefit to a full installation that i'm not aware of?

thanks!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts