BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my X5 N63 has water running all day which is of course is also draining my battery. I see the water flowing in the little reservoir in front of the engine, on top of the alternator. I know there is a little pump under this reservoir, but I disconnected that but water still flowing. But I think the one bad is the one under the left side intercooler, which I kind can feel putting my hand on top, but I can't find the connector to unplug it without taking a bunch of crap to get to it. Can anyone confirm the part number for that pump? Is this the correct number 11517566335, this is the
in the image below ?

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Yes, item 15 is your main water pump, it's not an auxiliary as mentioned in title. I would recommend replacing the thermostat as well & any hose(s) that may be age associated. That's my opinion.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
25,356 Posts
OP. You think the pump is bad? Or something in the control circuit?

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
What is your miles? Has it been replaced before? 80-100k is is what other's say if the "life". I don't have a good answer for you if it's bad or not. Obviously something is telling it to stay on. Ant codes?

·
Resident Curmudgeon
25,356 Posts

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 105K miles NOKIAN WR G3 20K miles
20,718 Posts
Yes indeed. Thank you. It is a very interesting document! Worth reading.

“The same rules apply to all Electric Coolant Pumps (EWP). The pump must be filled with coolant when removed for service to prevent any corrosion. Also, the pump impeller must be turned by hand before installation to ensure the pump is not seized.

Particular care must be taken when performing servicing work to ensure that the pump does not run dry. When the pump is removed, it should be stored filled with coolant. The bearing points of the pump could stick fast if the pump were not filled with coolant. This could jeopardize subsequent start-up of the pump thus rendering the entire heat management system inoperative (the pump not starting up could cause serious engine damage). If the pump should ever run dry, the pump wheel should be turned by hand before finally connecting the coolant hoses. The system should then be immediately filled with coolant.

Due to this coolant pump, a special filling and bleeding procedure must be implemented for servicing:
1. Fill system with coolant via the expansion tank (AGB). Top up coolant level to lower edge of expansion tank.
2. Close expansion tank.
3. Switch on ignition.
4. Set heating to maximum (temperature), switch on blower (lowest stage).
5. Press accelerator pedal module right down for at least 10 seconds. The engine must NOT be started.
6. Bleeding via EWP takes approx. 12 minutes. Then check coolant level in expansion tank, top up to MAX marking if necessary.
7. Check cooling circuit and drain plugs for leaks.
8. If the procedure needs to be repeated several times, allow DME to completely de-energize (remove ignition key for approx.
3 minutes) and then repeat procedure as from Point 3.
Connect battery charger if battery charge level is low.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Yes, item 15 is your main water pump, it's not an auxiliary as mentioned in title. I would recommend replacing the thermostat as well & any hose(s) that may be age associated. That's my opinion.
The main pump on the n63 is old skool mechanical. Not saying this electrical pump is not important, but it’s not the main one.

Only the main mechanical pump has a thermostat.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts