BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to buy my first X5. What is the average discount off of the MSRP? I want to make sure I'm getting a good deal. This will be a big investment for me.

·
Registered
8,892 Posts
I'm looking to buy my first X5. What is the average discount off of the MSRP? I want to make sure I'm getting a good deal. This will be a big investment for me.
There really is no "average discount in the USA".. it depends on where you are, and how many dealers are around you, and whether you can order and take delivery at the performance center, etc.

X5s are very hot right now so there are not a lot of incentives. Decent discounts can be had, depending on what state you are, how many dealers etc.

Someone in a place with 2 dealers simply does not get the same discount as someone in california, where there are dozens.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Agree, if there are only a few dealers in your area its more difficult to get a discount. I was able to get about $4k off MSRP within 200 miles of my house. Discounts of around $6k were out there but I would have had to get on a plane and fly 2,000 miles then drive it back e.g. it wasn't worth it.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I've built some loyalty with my local dealer and have purchased 5 new cars/SUV's from them in the past 5 years. As result, the norm for me with them is $500 over invoice before incentives.

-John

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
It is true if you have limited dealers in your area then the dealer can set whatever price they want.. however you don't necessarily have to order and purchase the X5 in your area.. it is entirely possible to purchase out of state. With that said, the average is about 7% from MSRP. I've always gotten about $1,000 to $500 over dealers invoice depending on the car I got... My last X5 I got $1,000 under invoice because I was negotiating between several dealers and they wanted my business badly..

·
Registered
546 Posts
I've built some loyalty with my local dealer and have purchased 5 new cars/SUV's from them in the past 5 years. As result, the norm for me with them is $500 over invoice before incentives.

-John
+1. Excellent target, and can vary a little in how they mess with marketing fees. I think John and I use the same dealer!

·
Registered
125 Posts
In my area 2 of the 4 dealers within a 300 mile radius had an allocation ready to go. The first offered dealer invoice plus $3000 which was damn near MSRP I told them to forget it and they didn't care. That dealer about 200 miles north of me is the only game in town up there. The second dealer offered dealer invoice plus $1,200.

·
Registered
375 Posts
What's the best dealers can do on a custom build?
All my invoice+$500 before incetives have been custom builds. It's essentially paying the dealership $500 to transact my business and giving them strong numbers as I buy vehicles frequently from them.

-John

·
Registered
375 Posts
All my invoice+$500 before incentives have been custom builds. It's essentially paying the dealership $500 to transact my business and giving them strong numbers as I buy vehicles frequently from them.

-John

·
Registered
8,892 Posts
You kind of need to learn how the process works. ANY dealer can do a custom build, and the fact that it is an ordered car does not make it more or less expensive, HOWEVER, what matters is if they have an allocation for it, and if so when it is. In your case, if you are dead set on a 2016, finding a dealer who has an open allocation for a 2016 X5 will be MUCH MUCH more important than finding the lowest price on that particular car.

To answer the next question, an allocation is BMW speak for the dealer having an open order slot. Those are determined waay in advance for each dealer based on last years sales. Without an allocation, they can absolutely quote you a price, but will not be able to place a custom order for you until they get one.

This means they could give you a price RIGHT NOW on a 2016 X5 that you seem to be really concerned about the free extra year of MAINTENANCE (not free extra year of warranty), and tell you they would order you a 2016.. and then in 3-4 weeks tell you they wont be able to get it, but hey we can give you a great deal on a 2017.

When you are dealing with ordering a car, the lowest absolute ROCK BOTTOM price is NOT the most important thing. Whats ALSO important is dealing with a reputable dealer who will give you solid information about what they can deliver, and when.

That dealer might be $500 or $600 more than the absolute rock bottom dealer, or they might not.. sometimes you can get the best rock bottom price AND a really competent Client advisor (salesperson)... Many times you dont, however.

From your posts, you are really fixated on receiving the absolute rock bottom price (which is fine, of course), and now you are talking about ordering a car. This means you better know all the ins and outs of it yourself, so you will be able to identify if things are not going the way they are supposed to (like if they have an allocation, what build week it is, do you have a production number, etc )

The easier way of doing that is by going to one of the Bimmerfest sponsors, who are not always the lowest absolute price, but are usually very competitive, AND have experience to deal with all these things, AND will tell you the truth.

Some of the other posters in this thread are experienced BMW buyers, and also may have relationships with the dealers they chose. If you are focused on saving the last $500 in a deal (which AGAIN is FINE), you need to make sure YOU know all the information, so that you can tell if you are being bait and switched etc.

This post is a lot longer than I ment it to be, but I wanted to give you some advice so you dont set yourself up to fail.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I would add that if you have a trade in beware the dealer who will give you a low price on the ordered vehicle then low ball you on the trade in. They play that game often.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You kind of need to learn how the process works. ANY dealer can do a custom build, and the fact that it is an ordered car does not make it more or less expensive, HOWEVER, what matters is if they have an allocation for it, and if so when it is. In your case, if you are dead set on a 2016, finding a dealer who has an open allocation for a 2016 X5 will be MUCH MUCH more important than finding the lowest price on that particular car.

To answer the next question, an allocation is BMW speak for the dealer having an open order slot. Those are determined waay in advance for each dealer based on last years sales. Without an allocation, they can absolutely quote you a price, but will not be able to place a custom order for you until they get one.

This means they could give you a price RIGHT NOW on a 2016 X5 that you seem to be really concerned about the free extra year of MAINTENANCE (not free extra year of warranty), and tell you they would order you a 2016.. and then in 3-4 weeks tell you they wont be able to get it, but hey we can give you a great deal on a 2017.

When you are dealing with ordering a car, the lowest absolute ROCK BOTTOM price is NOT the most important thing. Whats ALSO important is dealing with a reputable dealer who will give you solid information about what they can deliver, and when.

That dealer might be $500 or $600 more than the absolute rock bottom dealer, or they might not.. sometimes you can get the best rock bottom price AND a really competent Client advisor (salesperson)... Many times you dont, however.

From your posts, you are really fixated on receiving the absolute rock bottom price (which is fine, of course), and now you are talking about ordering a car. This means you better know all the ins and outs of it yourself, so you will be able to identify if things are not going the way they are supposed to (like if they have an allocation, what build week it is, do you have a production number, etc )

The easier way of doing that is by going to one of the Bimmerfest sponsors, who are not always the lowest absolute price, but are usually very competitive, AND have experience to deal with all these things, AND will tell you the truth.

Some of the other posters in this thread are experienced BMW buyers, and also may have relationships with the dealers they chose. If you are focused on saving the last $500 in a deal (which AGAIN is FINE), you need to make sure YOU know all the information, so that you can tell if you are being bait and switched etc.

This post is a lot longer than I ment it to be, but I wanted to give you some advice so you dont set yourself up to fail.
Thank you for all that information. This will be my first car purchase so all that helps!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts