Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This past week I've tried to change my driving habits to be a little more fuel efficient (not flooring it, going the speed limit, etc... all that un-fun stuff). Actually, it was that video posted somewhere here of that guy going 800 miles on a tank of gas. :p Well, we certainly can't do that, but I was just curious how much higher I could get my average mpg.

There was one day I did more highway driving than usual, and on the return trip was the only time I saw my average mpg go up - from 21.9 to 22.1. Other than that, it hasn't changed at all for about a half tank. Anyone know how often that indicator "updates" or gets "calculated"? Have you seen it change more than once in a short period of time?

·
Registered
300 Posts
On my car, it changes in minutes. I reset it on every gas fill though. If you never reset, it may take longer to change.

·
Registered
7,781 Posts
frank325 said:
Anyone know how often that indicator "updates" or gets "calculated"? Have you seen it change more than once in a short period of time?
It constantly calculating as you drive giving you the overall average. If you just reset it, you'll see it go up and down as you accelerate, coast, stop, start, etc. because it's constantly recalculating the average for a short number of miles driven under different driving conditions. If you drive thousands of miles without resetting it, you'll see less and less change because it's averaging over those thousands of miles instead of just a few. I haven't reset mine in a few thousands of miles now and it only changed 2/10 mpg after the 800 roundtrip drive I made over the holidays.

·
This is the Cubs year)
4,012 Posts
got an increase of 1 or so more avg MPG when I properly inflated my tires:thumbup:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts