BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
BMWCCA # 60907
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:cry: The dreaded "AWD and DSC malfunction" has happened to my new 2007 530xi, with less than 2000 miles on it. Does anyone who has suffered through this know the actual name and/or part number of the sensor that is supposedly responsible for this ? I am calling the dealer tomorrow morning, and from past experience it always helps to be prepared. Also, does anyone know if the sensor is on back-order and how long does it take to get one ? Thanks.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Hopefully I'm not speaking too early on this...but this happened just this pasted Thursday on my 2006 530xi (8200 miles) and also had the "start-off assist" error message (interestingly, the car never rolled back, even on a steep hill), and when I called the dealer they said that the backlog had mostly subsided, and that the part would be in this Monday. I have an appointment for first thing on Tuesday morning - but I'll check in on Monday just to make sure the part is there! I think supply may also be relative as to where you are geographically. Don't have the part number, but I think I saw it posted here somewhere in another thread.

FYI - yesterday (Saturday) the error messages were gone when I started the car, and stayed off through various stops and starts.

·
Rocket Scientist
1,455 Posts
Steering column switch center, SZL, replacement p/n 61 31 9 111 998.

I believe this is the part number that has been sourced since April of this year when they switched from the apparently bad one (or supplier). The part may still show as "national backorder" but it should be readily available. I don't think the parts system kept up with the flood of these that were shipped for this problem. My guess is the regional parts distribution centers have plenty at this point.

The optical sensor that fails is built into the housing on the rear of the steering column that all of the control (switch) stalks plug into, hence the replacement part's name. It retails at $455.

·
BMWCCA # 60907
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Failed Part Information

Thanks for the information. I will be calling my dealer this morning, and will post the results.

·
Banned
654 Posts
Hi Frank D.

No disrespect but we need to keep these threads in their appropriate places so we and others are not looking all over the place with regards to the major steering safety issue at hand.

·
Registered
3 Posts
RIght -- I starting getting the DSC (Dynamic Steering Control) and AWD (All Wheel Drive) malfunction after only 8,000 miles on my BRAND NEW BMW 530xi. Totally bogus. How does this happen on so many new 530xi's?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Just got back from the dealership...car is all set. The new SZL module is in and the car seems fine. The one-day job actually took 1 1/2 days as the car didn't reprogram the first two times("VEHICLE CRASHED ON CCC. RESTARTED PROGRAM. CRASHED AGAIN DURING CCC-A"). So they kept it overnight and did the program this morning. Total time from first occurance to "all set" was 6 days - including order time to get the part. All in all, not a bad experience for the first trouble in just over 9000 miles. Customer service was excellent!

Attachments

·
Rocket Scientist
1,455 Posts
5 Rakete said:
Steering column switch center, SZL, replacement p/n 61 31 9 111 998.
By the way this is the part number if you have the Cold Weather Package. There's a different number for the part that doesn't need to accommodate the steering wheel heat switch on the side.

Just in case someone thinks they may have gotten the wrong or old part.

·
BMWCCA # 60907
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Waiting for "Kit"

I spoke to BMWNA Customer Service and was advised that there is now an SZL "Kit" to correct the problem. My dealer says that my kit should arrive Friday (8/11), and I will bring the car in on Monday for the repair. I am keeping the car in my garage this week, as I don't feel comfortable driving it without AWD or DSC. I will advise on outcome of repairs.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Happened to my 2006 530xi

Mine occurred with about 5000 miles. i live in Northern Virginia and they said to me the part won't be in till mid August.
What a bummer:cry: :cry: :cry:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts