BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If anyone is familiar with this.... does it happen to 2007 models also? Or , is the problem solved now?

·
///Monkeyazz Duck
8,012 Posts
The answers to your questions are:

1. Yes, painfully so. (Read all the various posts on the subject).
2. Oh, yeah.
3. Doesn't appear to be.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Just happened on my 2007 530xiT this morning. Car only has 1,500 miles on it.

My 2003 540iA M-Sport is 4 years old with 36k miles and has never been to dealer for one issue.

BMW progress...........

Chet

·
///Monkeyazz Duck
8,012 Posts
cme said:
My 2003 540iA M-Sport is 4 years old with 36k miles and has never been to dealer for one issue.
Congratulations are in order! You must be the only 540 owner on the planet without squeaky door seals and a rattle in the driver seat. (We'll give you a break on the radiator hose, though - you're still about 15,000 miles away from having that self-destruct. Too bad you'll be out of warranty by then).

And be honest - how many outside temperature sensors have you been through? (I had the exact same car as you, and my wife ran the air dam over a parking lot barrier at least 3 times a year).

EDIT: And I forgot all about the window regulators and the interior door handles. Great car that it was, the E39 had its own laundry list of problems.

I loved my 540, but my 550 - WOW! Yep, that's progress all right!

·
Registered
53 Posts
quackbury said:
Congratulations are in order! You must be the only 540 owner on the planet without squeaky door seals and a rattle in the driver seat. (We'll give you a break on the radiator hose, though - you're still about 15,000 miles away from having that self-destruct. Too bad you'll be out of warranty by then).

And be honest - how many outside temperature sensors have you been through? (I had the exact same car as you, and my wife ran the air dam over a parking lot barrier at least 3 times a year).

EDIT: And I forgot all about the window regulators and the interior door handles. Great car that it was, the E39 had its own laundry list of problems.

I loved my 540, but my 550 - WOW! Yep, that's progress all right!
The 540 has been the best car I have ever owned....hands down, never an issue. I have had none of the problems you mention above.

Re the temp sensors and parking lot barriers.....showed my wife how to turn the PDC on and use it when pulling into parking spots. No scrapes, etc. That is not an E39 issue but driver issue!

I like the E60 in that it has a stiffer structure and has more power, new technologies, etc., but I can't criticize the E39.

Also my major complaint about the E60 is that BMW made changes for designers benefits and not for the benefit of the driver. BMW never put design before driveability and simplicity before.

Chet

·
///Monkeyazz Duck
8,012 Posts
Then in all seriousness, congratulations. My 2003 540iA Sport was fabulously dependable mechanically (radiator connection was intact when I turned it in a 48,000 miles), but the dealer replaced the door seals twice and 2 separate window regulators (both under warranty). At 48,000 miles my pixels hadn't burned out, my valley pan gasket hadn't started leaking yet, my water pump impeller was intact and I learned to live with the squeaks from the driver's seat and split fold rear seats.

But if you spend any time on the E39 boards, you know that there are a whole bunch of issues with the car (just like any model from any manufacturer). If you think your 540 is bulletproof, you are either very very lucky, or just fooling yourself.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts