Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Ex-Dictator
26,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found this freaking site. Lots of tacho pictures.

click me

·
I like cookies.
18,102 Posts
Alex Baumann said:
Found this freaking site. Lots of tacho pictures.

click me
I thought about sending this one in, but it's kind of blurry :(

I wish I had gotten a pic when I "pegged" the speedo to 187 in an M5

·
Parking Spot Maven
2,831 Posts
Neat site, but I wish they put in big letters under each image that the speed indicated isn't necessarily (usually?) accurate. They have the speed on the link as though it is an absolute measurement. :eeps:

--SONET

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
What??? A Grand Cherokee @ 140Mph??? :yikes: Well, I guess none of the "ordinary" cars on that page are stock anyways... :dunno:

·
3,762 Posts
LOL, yeah, uh-huh....

100HP Civic at 142MPH? Why does it look like the car is standing still? Why isn't the driver holding on to the steering wheel? If I was going 142MPH on city streets, I'd be holding on to the wheel...

75HP Ibiza at 130 MPH? The delivery truck next to him must be doing 130 too, because the image of the truck would be blurred at that speed difference....

127 HP CRX at 142MPH? Wow, that's amazing, considering that the V8 pony cars from the same year were holding top speeds of 142-145 MPH. How did they get a 1.6L 4 cylinder to match it?

oh, I could go on and on... :lmao:

·
Automotive Monomaniac
10,706 Posts
ff said:
LOL, yeah, uh-huh....

100HP Civic at 142MPH?
It is nearly impossible to get a car with just 100 hp to do 142 mph unless the Cd. is <.25 and the car is <2000 lbs. and geared accordingly.

I think my 108 hp. Civic Si (1990) would do 115 on a really good day (and with a very long run up to that speed).

·
King of Rear Clunks
12,903 Posts
Wow, I'm most impressed with the Trabbi burying the needle at 130kph, a car most known for not having enough power to get out of its own way.

I've buried the needle in my first car, a rather heavy 81 Datsun 510 with maybe 90hp and a 85mph speedo. My estimated max was somewhere around 105mph.

In my last car, a 94 Mitsu Galant, I've maxed it at an indicated 135mph. I was rather disappointed that it wouldn't go any faster.

·
3,762 Posts
Emission said:

It is nearly impossible to get a car with just 100 hp to do 142 mph unless the Cd. is <.25 and the car is <2000 lbs. and geared accordingly.

I think my 108 hp. Civic Si (1990) would do 115 on a really good day (and with a very long run up to that speed).
No doubt. The gearing in the Civics is so short, there's just no way to achieve the numbers these people claim. I had a 91 Civic Dx that hit about 110 before it completely ran out of revs. Took forever to get to that point, too.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts