BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm fairly new to working on cars, but have had some success with our 2011 X5 50i and am loving it! We're throwing some codes right now and the engine is running at reduced power. These are the codes:

P054D cold start b camshaft position timing over-retarded bank 2
P0025 b camshaft position - timing over-retarded bank 2
P05CF cold start b camshaft position timing performance bank 2

Any idea what these could mean or how to diagnose? I'm seeing online that it could be the camshaft sensor, crankshaft sensor, or solenoid valve. Are any of these more likely? Could it be anything else? Are these difficult repairs?

Thanks for your help,
Will

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 116K miles NOKIAN WR G3 30K miles
22,033 Posts

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Oil pressure issue to the vanos can cause such a problem but usually the problem is resolved with cam position sensor replacement.

I did have a client who's n52 motor had similar errors, it was suggested the vanos solenoid were at fault. It turned out to be a broken cage inside the oil filter cap.

It can be low oil, dirty filter or the wrong oil viscosity.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
26,187 Posts
Oil pressure issue to the vanos can cause such a problem but usually the problem is resolved with cam position sensor replacement.

I did have a client who's n52 motor had similar errors, it was suggested the vanos solenoid were at fault. It turned out to be a broken cage inside the oil filter cap.

It can be low oil, dirty filter or the wrong oil viscosity.
Agreed.

On the S62 we saw similar. Fouled/sluggish vanos solenoids…or bad Camshaft Position Sensor.

On the s62 there are 4 cps. Bank 1 and 2, anm intake and exhaust

One question for OP…any work done to the motor or these just popped up?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here are the hexadecimal codes:

2A74 Variable Camshaft Timing Control Exhaust #2 Cold Start
2A7B Vanos Exhaust 2 Cold Start
2A7E Exhaust Vanos 2 Mechanism

Update:

We did an engine flush and replaced the oil. It was pretty sludgy. Been trying to replace oil at 10k, I’m guessing this is not enough. Unfortunately codes are persistent.

Oil Filter cap was in place. No work has been done on the car recently. It has not been driven much since COVID.

At this point of my research, I’m hoping it’s just the Vanos Solenoids and not the internal mechanism. Any other ideas?

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
If you are only getting error on one bank swap solenoids but also clean and replace them.

Check the"birdcage" inside oil fill cap; that's what the problem was on my clients car.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Some N52's that have suffered extended OCI's have encountered clogging of the Vanos check valve screens. This is a relatively easy check/fix and might be worth a shot: DIY: VANOS Check Valve Replacement

AM.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the advice everyone. I went ahead and took it to the dealer to let them diagnose it. Thought it could be helpful before opening her up and trying fixes here and there.

They’re saying it just needs new engine coils and spark plugs. Does this sound crazy to you. I’ve done it before and am happy to again because it needs it soon anyways, but does this address the codes at all in your opinion?

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Thanks for the advice everyone. I went ahead and took it to the dealer to let them diagnose it. Thought it could be helpful before opening her up and trying fixes here and there.

They’re saying it just needs new engine coils and spark plugs. Does this sound crazy to you. I’ve done it before and am happy to again because it needs it soon anyways, but does this address the codes at all in your opinion?
Does not sound crazy. How many miles?

Coils not stupid expensive like injectors. N63 has a much shorter coil lifespan and plug lifespan Ryan other Motors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
135,000 miles. Coils and plugs were last done at 120,000.

Excuse the repetition, but just to be clear: You think it is possible that those codes were caused by bad coils/plugs?

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Plugs I believe are supposed to have 40k lifespan but depends if they were OEM. Coils shouod last much longer than you describe here. I would change plugs run some techron though and see how things behave. Also I'd clean the vanos solenoids.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
26,187 Posts
Lol.

I guess you think BMW dealet’s are some ethereal temple of all BMW knowledge? It is so sad when people fall for that fallacy. Yes, many dealers have some excellent techs (I agree w Hotgrbg on this) but too often you just get a half assed guestimate…

”sure they are stupid expensive, but at least you get the perfect diagnosis”

DID YOU INSTALL OE PLUGS LAST TIME? No upgrades, just stock plugs?

If yes, there is utterly no way those codes on camshafts are due to plugs and coils.

But WTF do we know?

·
Resident Curmudgeon
26,187 Posts
I will add…either andrewwynn had a stroke or someone hacked his account. His ready agreement seems way out of character.

;)

Edit: or as I see over on outpost..Covid! Hope you are on the mend…

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
I will add…either andrewwynn had a stroke or someone hacked his account. His ready agreement seems way out of character.

;)

Edit: or as I see over on outpost..Covid! Hope you are on the mend…
I actually said not likely coils but having had to replace "100,000 mi" plugs after less than 15.000 before I would definitely look into plugs being an issue. The n63 is picky on plugs if wrong temp plugs used they could be shot in 15k.

Also: yes covid and two weeks in feels pretty much like day 3.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hi all, thanks for the help on this. Plugs were OEM.

I guess you think BMW dealet’s are some ethereal temple of all BMW knowledge?
Actually, I am highly skeptical of the dealer's diagnosis. Plugs/Coils being the sole cause of those codes seems off. That being said, its been 15k for the plugs so why not go ahead and see if it fixes it, like andrewwynn says. I'll probably do that and clean/replace the two solenoids on bank 2.

Will keep you updated...

·
Resident Curmudgeon
26,187 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts