BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good evening.
I am planning to purchase either 328 or 330.
Now, after some research, I understand that the 330 has B48 engine vs N20 on 328.

With that being said, I'm reading and while B48 is considered to be a better engine, to my surprise the chain and Vanos are on the back of the engine?!

Does that mean (let's forget about chain) if Vanos needs to be serviced/replaced, an engine will need to be dropped?! Meaning more $$$ for similar procedure that could cost much less on N20.
Please let me know that I am wrong.
What was the rational to place it in the back?
Appreciate any feedback.

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Bimmerfest mobile app

·
former motorcycle rider
766 Posts
Manufacturers like BMW are often more concerned with build and assembly costs than they are with ease of repair.

These are "modular" engines, meaning that the basic architecture is carried over into different configurations. So that was probably some of that rationale behind the design.

I wouldn't sweat a potential extra $200 in a potential multi-thousand dollar repair that may never happen even past 150K miles on the car. VANOS issues, although serious, are not that prevalent.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Manufacturers like BMW are often more concerned with build and assembly costs than they are with ease of repair.

These are "modular" engines, meaning that the basic architecture is carried over into different configurations. So that was probably some of that rationale behind the design.

I wouldn't sweat a potential extra $200 in a potential multi-thousand dollar repair that may never happen even past 150K miles on the car. VANOS issues, although serious, are not that prevalent.
Appreciate it. Thank you

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Bimmerfest mobile app

1 - 3 of 3 Posts