BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
BMW Fahrer
4,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This weekend my baby got a few goodies installed/applied, below with some quick reviews...

1. Ultimate gas pedal with left side heel & toe extension. No brainer really - it works incredibly well and now allows me to blip the throttle without resorting to any foot contortions. The fact that it looks so good is just icing on the cake. :thumbup:

2. SS lines. It may just be the 4 step bleeding that I did afterwards with my wife's help, but I swear there's less give in the pedal past the initial bite point. I'm tempted to say it's definitely the SS lines, so I'll wait another couple of days until a more researched opinion.
But man oh man, that brake fluid sure makes everything slippery!!! :yikes: I lost count of the number of times I dropped the little rubber caps, the washers, or the entire brake line... at least I learned a little and the passenger side was a little easier. :)

3. Suspension knob drilled and punched-out. Took off the M strut bar - which gave me an opportunity to see if the shock towers are deformed - nope they aren't, so I wholeheartedly recommend the strut bar to everybody. I then drilled and punched out that little locating stub that sticks out from underneath, which enabled me to move the shocks inward some 1/4" on each side. I then re-mounted the strut brackets, torqued the nuts to the ridiculously low 18ft/lb spec using new nuts, and remounted the connecting bar without incident.
I am not sure if I can feel any modification to the turn-in or steering feel - it did seem to load up a little more in hard cornering. But when I simply throw it into a 2nd gear corner a little too fast, which would have resulted in instant understeer before, to my surprise now it went in almost neutral, with all 4 tires sliding. :thumbup: That was of course what I wanted and expected, but again I'll defer my final judgement until my next 2 track days on the Shenandoah circuit. I should be able to tell right away over there in several different corners if this relatively cheap mod was worth it, or if it's just a placebo effect. :rofl:

4. I Rejex'ed my front wheels, and will do the rears next weekend. I previously had Wheel Wax on them which worked reasonably well, in that it allowed me to wash the wheels with the same mild shampoo I use for the rest of the car. The Rejex is supposed to bond better and last a lot longer (up to 12 months they claim), and it sure made the wheel surface very slippery & shiny - similar in fact to the Klasse AIO. I would have tried the Klasse AIO, but I'm not sure it's rated for the higher temperature of the wheels...
Again, the supremely corrosive test will be during the track days, when I switch to Cobalt Spec VRs which have a tremendous appetite for sticking to wheel coatings...

All in all not bad for a few satisfying hours of wrenching, I needed that therapy...

·
Is it Trackday yet?
8,975 Posts
Nice!

I had similar impression after installing the ss lines. Along with the bleed, did u also bed in the pads? I had mine done at a shop and they bed in the OEM pads, the pedal feel was incredible for quite some time after that. Knowing what I know now, i should have DIY'd them.

I also love the Ultimate gas pedal, i have had it in since June and have improved my shifting smoothness 10 fold.

·
BMW Fahrer
4,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
jvr826 said:
I had similar impression after installing the ss lines. Along with the bleed, did u also bed in the pads? I had mine done at a shop and they bed in the OEM pads, the pedal feel was incredible for quite some time after that. Knowing what I know now, i should have DIY'd them.
No, I bed my pads on my "bed-the-pads" local road. :D I do it the old fashioned way, as described on Zeckhausen's web site:
http://www.zeckhausen.com/bedding_in_brakes.htm

I adapted the technique a little bit to suit my local conditions/pads (I do 4 x 80-10mph stops in the summer, 5-6 stops in the winter, after which I coast down to a scenic view parking lot without touching the brakes and enjoy my ipod for some 15 min). It sure works well...

I also love the Ultimate gas pedal, i have had it in since June and have improved my shifting smoothness 10 fold.
The difference is quite stunning, I simply don't know why I didn't do it sooner...

·
Registered
3,925 Posts

·
Is it Trackday yet?
8,975 Posts

Attachments

·
I do'nt make mistakes.
10,478 Posts
For those with the Ultimate Pedals, which gas pedal did you opt for? I see four different styles (depending on type of extension) available for the 3 series. I think this would help me a lot as I've been working on my heel-and-toeing and could use some assistance.

·
BMW Fahrer
4,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
cwsqbm said:
For those with the Ultimate Pedals, which gas pedal did you opt for? I see four different styles (depending on type of extension) available for the 3 series. I think this would help me a lot as I've been working on my heel-and-toeing and could use some assistance.
I bought the one with the upper left extension, because I use the technique of braking with the ball of my foot while rotating the exterior side of the foot on the gas pedal.

If your technique calls for blipping the throttle by pushing it with your heel, then I'd go for the pedal with the lower left extension.

There really isn't any "good way" or "bad way" of doing this, from what I could gather. It all depends on your particular anatomy, shoe style, etc - whatever works is absolutely right.

Before the ultimate pedal installation I had to really contort my foot to reach the gas pedal. Now it's a little higher (closer to the level of a fully depressed brake pedal) and a little closer to the brake pedal. But it also means I need to adjust my motion range to the new setup, a process that usually takes a few days.

·
Is it Trackday yet?
8,975 Posts
I also have upper left for same reason.

It's nearly impossible to blip the E46 throttle with your heal when braking with the ball of your foot, unless you contort your leg to get the heel higher up on the pedal. The floor level pivot point makes it hard to get leverage with your heel.

With the pedal adc and I got, it's super easy, even with a narrow foot as I have. There is now only 1" of space between the brake and gas pedal and it's quite easy to have solid pressure on the brake and use the pinky-toe side of my foot to blip the throttle. Prior I was wearing wide-soled Teva sandals, but got my hand slapped for that at the last track school - they want closed toe shoes now.

One word of advice for anyone considering this pedal. There is now a reduced space between the gas and brake. You may have to adjust your braking (non blip) so your foot fits in that small space.

Practice, practice, practice and it becomes second nature. I'm always doing it now and it really helps with spiritied driving.

·
BMW Fahrer
4,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Day 2 with the modifications: the extra (negative) camber seems to really work in the corners!

I've tested all the usual corners on my morning commute, all the low speed 2nd gear ones and a 4th gear long sweeper, no understeer at all.

I should also mention I have the UUC sways on the car, set up medium front/full stiff rear. I think I might tighten the front a little more now, maybe move one side of the front bar to full stiff, see how it feels...

·
Registered
3,925 Posts
jvr826 said:
ultimatepedals.com
Thanks. I have narrow feet too, and also need help with my heel and toe technique.

My biggest concern is flying down a straight at 100+ mph and having my poor heel and toe technique put me into a wall. :eek: I know, I have to practice and get comfortable at lower speeds first...that just hasn't happened yet.

·
BMW Fahrer
4,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
PhilH said:
My biggest concern is flying down a straight at 100+ mph and having my poor heel and toe technique put me into a wall. :eek: I know, I have to practice and get comfortable at lower speeds first...that just hasn't happened yet.
You also need to make sure you have good driving shoes - whatever those may be, a good grippy rubber sole is mandatory and maybe a rounded heel for comfort...

I'm not quite there yet, I need to shop for good shoes.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts