BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My beloved 2002 330CI SMG was stolen in front of the local cinema on Saturday eve.

Fellas I need a group hug from the BMW-loving crowd :(

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
April fools was the other day.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ljh824 said:
April fools was the other day.
Thats why I´m not joking. Feels really strange to come out of the cinema and find a silver SLK in the slot you parked your blue bimmer. At first you doubt yourself and your memory till you come to terms with the fact that it´s gone. Then you check wether it´s been towed and when you hear no, it hits yours truly.

Just glad I had my girlfriend with me, I would have spent hours wondering where I parked and doubting myself.

Feels really strang to think somebody else is driving my pride and joy. Or worse, they´re chopping it up for parts.
:mad:

·
Registered
169 Posts
How did this happen? Did you have a key in your car. It seems to be hard to imagine that somebody pulled up with a flat bed and loaded up your car in front of the cinema.

·
Ex-Dictator
26,111 Posts
Ouch, sorry to hear that bud. I hope it was Kasko insured, wasn't it ?

·
Former ZHP pilot
884 Posts
Sorry to hear that i know you feel like you've been violated. How the hell did they take it? If they didnt tow it a key must of been used. :cry:

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Oh man, sorry to hear that. :(

:grouphug:

·
Registered
766 Posts
tierfreund said:
My beloved 2002 330CI SMG was stolen in front of the local cinema on Saturday eve.

Fellas I need a group hug from the BMW-loving crowd :(
GROUP HUG!

On the bright side, think of this as your chance to get that used E46 M3 SMG... :D

·
Grinning from ear to ear
2,029 Posts
Wow that's terrible. I hope your insurance company helps you out and you end up with an even nicer ride (is that possible?) . And to the thieves... I hope the window regulators die on them!

·
Registered
396 Posts
I am really surprised that a BMW was stolen. I spoke to my insurance agent to check on insurance rates and he mentioned that they don't have much reports of stolen BMWs.

Few days ago, I was watching a show on TV. Some crooks managed to steal BMWs in Canada on a regular basis, but this was done after the BMW car software was stolen. The theif would enter the car and then immoilize the BMW alarms with the software and then use keys stolen from dealerships. This was an extensive planning operation.

So how did the theives steal this car? What are some of the options they might have employed?
Anyone use Lo-jack? Is that helpful? :confused:

·
Registered
564 Posts
Man, that sucks. I have had that panick when I've simply forgotten where I parked, nevermind it coming out to actually be stolen! I too am wondering how they did it. Was it towed or hacked in some way?

·
Registered
584 Posts
as others have commented, i'm curious as to how you think your car was stolen. Would (could) someone really flatbed a car right out of a cinema parking lot? No offense, but its not like it was a 911 or something.

I can't imagine someone going to all that trouble just to steal a 3 series (maybe an M3)...

A good friend of mine works at the Special Investigation Unit for allstate insurance, and he has only had one claim in the detroit office involving a stolen bimmer...and it was flat bedded....

·
only one screen name
8,456 Posts
I make it a point to get keys BACK from ex-girlfriends....

or not to give them out at all, for that matter :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2015 335 M-Sport Mineral Gray
6,346 Posts
tiefreund, sorry to hear about your car. I can only imagine how devastating it might be to lose your pride and joy. :cry:

amt7565 said:

So how did the theives steal this car? What are some of the options they might have employed?
Anyone use Lo-jack? Is that helpful? :confused:
Unfortunately LoJack is not all that is advertised to be. The system basically works by emitting a radio signal when the car is stolen. This signal can be tracked only by police agencies that have signed up with LoJack. The problem is that you do no have 100% geographical coverage. The car could be taken into a jurisdiction where LoJack is not tracked by the local police.

Now that BMW Assist has enhanced its services by providing car tracking that would be the way to go. BMW Assist and OnCall track cars though satellites via GPS so you can get a lot more coverage, though there is no signal if the car in a parking garagee, tunnel. etc.

·
Uber Olive Brain
169 Posts
LDV330i said:
Now that BMW Assist has enhanced its services by providing car tracking that would be the way to go. BMW Assist and OnCall track cars though satellites via GPS so you can get a lot more coverage, though there is no signal if the car in a parking garagee, tunnel. etc.
No, I wouldn't count on BMW Assist for tracking. As the antenna is in the shark fin, any thief with half a brain will rip off the shark fin. Voila, no more tracking.

Still, I'm curious as to how tierfreund's car was stolen. Flatbed or key are supposedly the only ways of doing it. Perhaps some dealer was socially engineered?

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
marcelgood said:
How did this happen? Did you have a key in your car. It seems to be hard to imagine that somebody pulled up with a flat bed and loaded up your car in front of the cinema.
That´s what the police said what probably did happen. Of course I didn´t leave the keys anywhere near the car.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts