BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all! Any of the old hats on this forum might remember me from back in 2011-2013 I owned an E39 528i and had fun with it. Then in June of 2013 I switched to the dark side and got a W210 Mercedes E-Class. I got rid of it in 2020 and swore off all imports as I was working from home.
Fast forward to December 2021 I received a job offer for a nice position about a 30 mile commute from home. After doing some research and so forth, I jumped back into the BMW pool.
Behold:
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Hood

Not the best picture, but it is a 2010 328i with 153K miles, good service history. It is Arctic Silver with black interior, automatic. Only known issue as of now is the silver trim on the shifter peeling. No I-Drive, which I consider a plus.
As of now we're still in the honeymoon phase, but looking forward to being back in this forum and working will everyone here!
(as a side note, trying to update my profile to include the new car, but having issues, any admins who could DM this idiot for help would be appreciated.)

·
Registered
8,063 Posts
Congratulations!
I would refresh coolant system at this point (all hoses). If nit, at least coolant reservoir and mickey mouse flange and replace it with aluminum one.
Make sure your belt is ok and OFHG is not leaking on it. If belt snaps, it will probably get sucked into engine through front crank seal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
106 Posts
So my old buddy from the e60 forums, @banglenot , had begun adapting his intro doc to the e60 platform, "So you just bought an e60" to the e90, since both share engine options and have many other similarities. Read through the new version of the doc here. Lots of "what to look out for" info. Banglenot, have you been working on this lately, or did you decide not to keep going?

·
Registered
106 Posts
You may notice on the boards that I've just been inducting an e90 into my stable over the past month (and previously took an N52 08 528i to about the mileage you're at), and so here's a list of what I'd check first, if I were you:

• Make sure there are no leaks down the front of the engine, as edycol explains. Mission critical.
  • How old is the electric coolant pump? It and the thermostat are mounted to the bottom passenger side of the engine block near the front of the car. Take off splash shields and look for date stamp on the pump casing if you don't have a record of when it was last done in those service records. If it's never been done (unlikely), I'd replace that and the thermostat pre-emptively. If it was done 75K or more miles ago, I'd consider doing it again.
  • Is serpentine belt in good shape (can be hard to tell by eye with these EPDM belts), and are roller and tensioner quiet? If not, replace all for $100 in parts
  • Check the date sticker on your battery. If nearing or past 4-5 years, think of replacing
  • If your inside passenger door handle is grubby and gross, the replacement one from Amazon is surprisingly decent, and it's about a half-hour install
  • Agree about coolant hoses. If any fittings have discolored to brown from dark gray/black, that's a sign of deterioration and imminent failure. Be sure the car has BMW blue coolant. If it does, just replace what you drain when replacing hoses. If not, flush the system out with distilled water and replace with blue coolant.
  • See if you can tell when spark plugs were last done. If it's been 50K or you have no idea, replace with NGK
  • Has alternator been replaced recently? If not, consider replacing the voltage regulator for $40 to prevent a stranding failure

1 - 4 of 4 Posts