BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
BMW Angel
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to first thank you all for helping us with securing a great CA, planning our trip and for all the great tips that helped this thing go smoothly. Bimmerfest is an awesome source!

Wanted to give back with some photos and pearls we learned along the way for anyone that might find it helpful.

Germany
- sixt was booked but we couldn't find the guy on arrival. If this happens there is a Sixt office on location at the airport that you can walk to, I think it was in terminal 1. They will locate your driver. Ours didn't know much English - they should have drivers that speak English. This is why Rolf is better
- just ask if you aren't sure - Germans are very friendly and helpful in general
- at the Welt you can complete paperwork the day prior to delivery so that on day of delivery it's easier
- you can also use the premium lounge the day prior to delivery - we did tour, museum etc the day prior
- the actual delivery goes by so quickly! I didn't realize how fast it all flew by. So take some time to take lots of pics and video to recall the details
- we felt they were rushing us through delivery process and the advisor seemed impatient with our questions. Is this just their German culture? I just felt like if we traveled half way around the world to purchase this expensive car from BMW they should be courteous enough to allow at least 1 hour to go over the new vehicle- anyone else have this experience? They told us 5-10mins for photos at delivery before we have to drive it off seriously?!
- we used Uber in Munich to get around and it worked well - much cheaper than taxi
- German food in general was not as tasty as I expected - maybe just palate difference. We were not impressed with Augustiner, it smelled like a frat house in there (I know it's all that beer)
- we got 2 driving vests free at Welt
- they are still giving away the timer for M cars. The wifi Harmon kardon speaker is only given to cars with this speaker system. We had bang & olufsen system in our car so didn't get the free speaker.
- BMW store at the Welt is expensive for a lot of items made in China. So not sure how many souvenirs you want to buy there, you can get cheaper stuff at your local dealer or Amazon.

Here are some pics from welt. More to come on our trip.

Luxury vehicle Vehicle Car Transport Personal luxury car
Building Shopping mall Architecture Design Interior design
Metropolitan area Architecture Tower block Building Daytime
Architecture Sky Tourist attraction City Vacation
Building Shopping mall Architecture Floor Retail
Ceiling Building Interior design Room Lobby
Food Meal Pâtisserie Brunch Buffet
Building Interior design Floor Flooring Room
Floor Flooring Wood flooring Laminate flooring Hardwood
Red Vehicle Car Games Family car
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive design Luxury vehicle
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Luxury vehicle Personal luxury car

·
BMW Angel
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Autobahn and Driving in General:

Autobahn was a blast to drive on! After driving in Germany why would you want to drive anywhere else? That no speed limit symbol was my new favorite symbol of all time!

Here is the problem with No Speed limit. It is a 2 lane highway. We are opening up this beast, I was going 140-150 MPH ( of course keeping it under the recommended 5500 RPM) and some VW going 80mph decides to change lanes and suddenly comes into my lane. Now he thinks I'm pretty far away so he has time to change lanes. Not Really when this M6 is flying at you at 150MPH! I literally had to slam on those brakes and if it wasn't for the amazing braking system on the M6 I would have crashed into this guy. It was such a close call, we were all sweating with palpitations. Luckily got it all on GoPro including all the cursing that came in that moment

So please be careful out there and be aware that you can open up the car nicely but anticipate these people changing lanes in a 2 lane highway in a no speed limit zone. Very dangerous in my opinion. I felt like I was in a fast and furious movie!

From Germany we drove into Switzerland and yes there is amazingly beautiful scenery in Switzerland but driving there is so so boring. There are cameras, radar literally every where! You cannot speed at all. You feel like in the Hunger Games where they watch your every move. And the speed limit is always changing - that heads up display was a lifesaver! And the speed limits are ridiculous - like 70-100 Kilometers an hour. The speed limit in my local town is faster. That's like literally 40-6mph - it take so long to get anywhere in that speed limit. I obviously hated driving in Switzerland

40euro for the Switzerland vignette. I would try and avoid highways here which are boring, back roads would be more fun to drive.

Driving on the French highways are easy, carefree. No crazy cameras or radar. Reasonable speed limits. We got lost and had detours due to an accident in the French countryside back roads and those were super fun to drive through! Beautiful scenery and flying through curving little roads - great experience!

Expect delays, accidents, traffic - always add extra 2-4 hours to your trip. We spent one whole day 12 hours driving from Lucerne into Paris. It was a nice drive but tiring.

And gas SO pricey - filling up our tank in Switzerland 110 CHF and in France easily over 100 Euro

Here are some pics on the road

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Speedometer Gauge
Land vehicle Vehicle Luxury vehicle Car Bmw
Mountainous landforms Highland Natural landscape Mountain Nature
Road Highway Freeway Asphalt Sky
Body of water Highland Mountain Mountainous landforms Sky
Land vehicle Vehicle Luxury vehicle Car Personal luxury car
Body of water Nature Natural landscape Lake Mountain
Sky Cloud Atmospheric phenomenon Road Morning
Road Highland Sky Hill station Atmospheric phenomenon
Mountainous landforms Mountain Sky Hill station Nature

·
Registered
871 Posts
Nice photos! Beautiful car! I think the 6GC may be the prettiest car BMW makes.

I had the 5-er up to 140mph (and still putting hard) on one stretch of the A8, but only when there wasn't too much traffic in either lane. Although German drivers are usually pretty good, a 60mph speed differential between the fast lane and slow lane can be dangerous.

We found 100mph to be a pretty good cruising speed and opened it up more only when it seemed safe to do so.

·
BMW Angel
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
From Munich we drove into Lucerne but stayed in a smaller town Weggis which I highly recommend. There is a wonderful hotel there (see hotel Goddard) which was amazing! And if you are there go up mt. Rigi - there are cable cars and a train to go up. The views are out of this world.

Pics below
Flag Flag of the united states Home House Building
Property Hill station Atmospheric phenomenon Town Roof
Property Neighbourhood Building Transport House
Highland Hill station Nature Mountainous landforms Natural landscape
balsam fir shortleaf black spruce Tree Yellow fir oregon pine
Highland Hill station Water Mountain Reservoir
Sky Highland Green Mountainous landforms Hill station
Architecture Urban design Grass Building Landscape
Transport Vehicle Train Locomotive Steam engine
Nature Hill station Natural landscape Highland Green
Advertising Banner Building Technology Shade
Road Town Hill station Thoroughfare Highway
Marina Boat Harbor Vehicle Sky

·
BMW Angel
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
From Lucerne we drove through Beaune, Dijon and into Versailles. This was a long drive 12 hours partly because some of it is through the back roads of the French countryside. We had 1 detour because of a closed road and then on our detour around it some French lady stopped us on the road and said there is an accident ahead and we have to turn around she could have been some crazy person hallucinating for all we know but we warren.'the about to mess with the locals on foreign soil. So we had to figure out a 3rd alternate and hence all the delays. All I have to say is thank goodness for navigation!

Pics driving through French countryside Land vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive design Luxury vehicle
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Personal luxury car Luxury vehicle
Pasture Grazing Grassland Natural landscape Natural environment
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Property Mid-size car
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive design Personal luxury car
Road Sky Highway Asphalt Infrastructure
Sky Cloud Natural landscape Evening Morning

·
Aviator
3,007 Posts
From Munich we drove into Lucerne but stayed in a smaller town Weggis which I highly recommend. There is a wonderful hotel there (see hotel Goddard) which was amazing! And if you are there go up mt. Rigi - there are cable cars and a train to go up. The views are out of this world.

Pics below
View attachment 529422 View attachment 529423 View attachment 529424 View attachment 529425 View attachment 529426 View attachment 529427 View attachment 529428 View attachment 529429 View attachment 529430 View attachment 529431 View attachment 529432 View attachment 529433 View attachment 529434
The Beau Rivage in your third photo is a great hotel in Weggis too :thumbup: Somewhere i have a photo of our ED Porsche 911 Turbo parked exactly where the blue Maser is.

·
Registered
332 Posts
welt delivery

Man, I'm sorry your delivery was rushed. I wonder if they were behind, or if there is some change in pay/policy/etc, that led to your BMW representative being rushed.

I'm definitely going to split my next delivery over two days. Utilizing the premium lounge on two days is definitely worth it. Good advice!

·
Registered
603 Posts
Thanks for sharing! Love the write up and pics! We only had 30 minutes or so for delivery, but we never felt rushed. In fact I wanted him to stop talking so I could start and drive my car, but knowing I would only get to take it outside only to valet it kept my impatience in check. Different expectations I guess. And I never did get to exceed 100 on the Autobahn. I'm kind of surprised by your experience given what I've read and seen on my first trip, however, growing up driving here, it's hard to trust someone would actually check their mirrors and properly judge time, speed and distance. I can't shake the feeling that other drivers have little awareness outside of their cabins. Anyway, let's have the video! (For those of us that didn't get to indulge). :)

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
My delivery was the opposite, I was trying to rush it a bit, but the rep wanted to prolong it and talk about the car. He was a little surprised I didn't have many questions. The guy next to me started 20 minutes before me and left at least 20 minutes after me. His rep explained every single thing about the car to him. I am surprised your rep was in a hurry, was your delivery late in the day?

·
Registered
410 Posts
Our Sixth driver spoke little English also.

We found we could use Premium Lounge anytime during our ED if at the Welt. When you walk in, no one checks your ID.

We had a rookie handle our delivery. She had to go get help when we asked some questions. She also was not familiar with BMW classic models. I told her I use to own a 2002 and she never heard about one. I even showed her a picture.

·
Super Moderator
3,817 Posts
- we felt they were rushing us through delivery process and the advisor seemed impatient with our questions. Is this just their German culture? I just felt like if we traveled half way around the world to purchase this expensive car from BMW they should be courteous enough to allow at least 1 hour to go over the new vehicle- anyone else have this experience? They told us 5-10mins for photos at delivery before we have to drive it off seriously?!
Great pictures! They fill in the gaps to some areas that I didn't take pictures of.

They are on a tight schedule. To feel less rushed, I recommend going to the lounge early and looking down at the floor below. That reduces sensory overload when you pick up your car since you can focus on your car, not the surroundings.

It's nice to become familiar with your car beforehand. Maybe review the owner's manual online or look at photos of the inside of your car. Then you can enjoy the Welt and not be thinking of your car.

It would be nice to act like royalty and have a photographer document the event. Maybe two Bimmerfest buyers getting cars on the same day can help each other out?

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
How could you not love German food? Doesn't sound like you enjoyed much about your time in Germany. That's a shame. My Danish ancestors are rolling over in their graves due to my love of everything German. To each his own I guess.

·
Aviator
3,007 Posts
How could you not love German food? Doesn't sound like you enjoyed much about your time in Germany. That's a shame. My Danish ancestors are rolling over in their graves due to my love of everything German. To each his own I guess.
OP visited Switzerland and France - pretty hard to compare "serviceable' German cuisine to French fare. I like German food to a point, but travel there a lot for work and tire of same ol' same ol' food - except for Spargel but it's out of season

·
BMW Angel
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the postings. Looks like you had nice weather and got to see a lot in a short time. 12 hours straight to get to Paris though would have to be stressful.
Thanks Northcar. Yes! It was stressful when we were like 7 hours in and lost in the French countryside hoping to get to Paris that night. We got into Versailles at 1am! Getting lost in a foreign country is a whole different stress level. Navigation was great but when it's always trying to re-route you to the 2 roads you know are closed and trying to get around that was difficult

·
BMW Angel
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yes I think different palate preferences, nothing against German food. We don't eat a lot of meat at also that was the biggest problem. And the French and Swiss food was pretty darn good!

We did enjoy Germany, esp the welt and driving there. But yes next time we need to spend much more time there and get the full Bavarian experience. We were definitely in a time crunch this time. We did visit Dachau and I highly recommend it, a really sobering experience

·
Registered
150 Posts
Luwi25, I am off for my ED next week and will be taking a similar route to Paris for my drop off. I will be driving from Lake Constanz region to Colmar for two nights. Then heading into Burgundy region. I would appreciate any helpful tips. How long will the drive be from Colmar to Beune or Dijon? Which town would be a better place to see the region? Also, I have to drop in Paris on a Friday afternoon, should I spend the Thursday night closer to Paris? Thanks for your help, and I liked your pics.
fabby

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.