BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Back in the “is” saddle again…

1002 5
So…back in July I got this crazy idea to transfer my ridiculously low Z435is lease because I suffer from extreme BMW ADHD! I loved that car and the payment was just crazy low—I was a complete idiot to let it go. Long story short, I was just feeling out the market and in less than a week the car was transferred! I had no replacement vehicle, other than my wife’s X5d, and I was toying with the idea of various other Bimmer to serve my disorder.

I entertained a 2012 M3, but ultimately I wasn’t ready to commit to the increase for admission, crazy tire wear, and pitiful gas mileage. So then I found an extremely low mileage 2006 E46 M3 w/Competition Package. One of my all time dream cars! But the guy was too firm on his asking price and wouldn’t even play the negotiation game. In the interim, I had placed an order for a 2013 135is. I wasn’t crazy about certain exterior angles of the 1er, but it was quickly growing on me. I never owned a 1er before and was excited by the change. The order was placed the 1st of August, but SOP wasn’t until the middle of September (summer factory breaks). Remember, my wife and I were down to one car. I also was getting worried I wouldn’t have been able to take advantage of all the rebate/incentives I had accumulated over the summer if I didn’t receive the car in time (e.g. Drive for Team USA, Ultimate App, Loyalty, expired lock-ins, etc…).

My patience (more like my wife who was ready to kill me for inconveniencing her) was running thin. I had no idea how I was going to make it through 2 more months of waiting. Occasionally, I would look around for nearby 2012 335is given the trunk monies and I loved my old E92 which I did European Delivery on back in 2008. There was one in VA, but it was sold before confirming all the numbers. Fast forward to last Saturday. I found another one in MD and my dealer jumped on it for me (I can only imagine how much more dealer monies there are on these 2012 cars given my dealer’s promptness of getting this car).

I picked up “Vader” last night. I swore I would never get black/BSM again (due to my OCD and swirls, paint imperfections), but beggars can’t be choosers. Then again, nothing beats the look of a clean black car! I was a little disappointed in myself for not being more patient and waiting for the 135is since I had never owned a 1er, and IMHO, I find that car to be one of the few true BMW driver’s cars, but for the overall deal I received, better equipped, and ultimately getting the car 2 months sooner, I am very satisfied.

Another thing I’m satisfied about is the 335is’ steering. It is absolutely fantastic being able to get such feedback from the steering again. My Z435is’ electronic, vague steering was a major complaint of mine. I had service check it out several times to make sure there wasn’t a defective, but to no avail.

Just a quick question for fellow 335is drivers... I was a bit underwhelmed by the exhaust note on my 335is. Perhaps it gets louder over break-in or I’m just driving it too conservatively right now. But I’ve heard YouTube videos of the exhaust sounding more aggressive/louder. Also, people have commented how loud their exhaust is in the morning and are worried it might bother the neighbors. This morning in my garage, the exhaust was not loud. I might try the exhaust mod in the trunk, but will give it a few weeks. Perhaps I’m just comparing the exhaust to my Z435is (which was aggressive but I thought didn’t have a sport exhaust) and was maybe expecting more.

It’s good to be back in the club again!

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
When you first start the car and until it warms up, only one side of the exhaust is open. It takes about 3 minutes for both sides to open.

If you have the coupe version, the interior is quiet so the exhaust note may be muffled, particularly if you have the windows closed.

In my convertible 335is, the exhaust note is really great with the top down. The exhaust note will start to get a better tone once the interior of the pipes and mufflers get more carbon built up inside.

Good luck with your new ride! :thumbup:

* Looking at your list of cars, I see you don't keep any of them very long?
Only as a possibility... There have been a few anecdotal reports (e.g., here) of the left exhaust flapper solenoid failing open so that vacuum is constantly applied to the flapper actuator and, therefore, the flapper itself is always in the closed position.

You might want to check this for yourself by using a plastic tie-wrap to crimp the vacuum line just before it enters the actuator. After that, if your exhaust sound significantly increases at cold start and on the road, then you likely have a failed solenoid.

And in case you're wondering, you wouldn't receive a fault code if the solenoid is physically stuck open as there would be no electrical indication of failure.

Cheers.
I was a bit underwhelmed by the exhaust note on my 335is. Perhaps it gets louder over break-in or I'm just driving it too conservatively right now. But I've heard YouTube videos of the exhaust sounding more aggressive/louder. Also, people have commented how loud their exhaust is in the morning and are worried it might bother the neighbors. This morning in my garage, the exhaust was not loud.
Thanks beden...Yeah, I was aware of the exhaust process. I have the coupe version, so I guess I need to jump on it harder :thumbup:

And as I mentioned in my initial post, I suffer from Bimmer ADHD!!! :eeps:

When you first start the car and until it warms up, only one side of the exhaust is open. It takes about 3 minutes for both sides to open.

* Looking at your list of cars, I see you don't keep any of them very long?
Only as a possibility... There have been a few anecdotal reports (e.g., here) of the left exhaust flapper solenoid failing open so that vacuum is constantly applied to the flapper actuator and, therefore, the flapper itself is always in the closed position.

You might want to check this for yourself by using a plastic tie-wrap to crimp the vacuum line just before it enters the actuator. After that, if your exhaust sound significantly increases at cold start and on the road, then you likely have a failed solenoid.

And in case you're wondering, you wouldn't receive a fault code if the solenoid is physically stuck open as there would be no electrical indication of failure.

Cheers.
Thanks Vert. Yes, last night I checked the left flap and it does open after the initial start up. Not sure if I'll disconnect the connector in the trunk. I'm going to give a few weeks to build carbon like beden noted.
The coupe is quiet with the windows up except at full tilt when it sings.:thumbup:
Can't wait!
The coupe is quiet with the windows up except at full tilt when it sings.:thumbup:
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.