BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings All,

Recently moved back from Stuttgart to Charleston, SC and brought with my US Spec 2001 325i, that I purchased while I was in Germany. When I was in Stuttgart, I had all of the maintenance done at the dealership, as it is different paradigm in Europe than we have here in the US. I didn’t have a garage that was big enough to do anything but open the door wide enough to get in one side of the car, getting rid of oil was a major environmental disaster issue, and the dealership was actually reasonable.

Now that I am back in the States, and have a 2 car garage, can take used oil to the local gas station, and work done at the dealership is out of this world, I want to start doing some of the maintenance on my car at home. My question is, can anybody recommend a good maintenance manual for the 2001 325i that is similar to the Haynes or Chilton variety? I have checked their websites and they don’t make them for my car yet.

How different are things like changing the oil and putting on brake pads from any other car. My car is due for both and like to feel confident that I can do the job with a reasonable degree of success before I embark on such an endeavor.

In addition, any ideas on how to get a look at the data that is stored on my key? Would be nice to look at all of the metrics that thing is recording.

I am new to this forum, so I apologize if the questions below are common or are posted somewhere and I have missed them. If so links are appreciated.

Best,

-Dialtone

·
There and back again
2,601 Posts
dialtone said:
Now that I am back in the States, and have a 2 car garage, can take used oil to the local gas station, and work done at the dealership is out of this world, I want to start doing some of the maintenance on my car at home. My question is, can anybody recommend a good maintenance manual for the 2001 325i that is similar to the Haynes or Chilton variety? I have checked their websites and they don't make them for my car yet.
The Bentley manual is a reasonable 3rd-party book. Note that there is a new edition coming out (in June) which will cover up to MY 2005 cars (the old one goes up to MY 2001 which is fine for you).

Note that any aftermarket book isn't 100% accurate or up-to-date. I would suggest that you also purchase a BMW TIS and ETK CD set for your PC. These are available on eBay, for example. The TIS is the service documentation, while the ETK is the parts catalog. Check the versions (dates) of the ones for sale, though - I've seen sellers say "latest" on a 2003 disc! If they don't give a date, they're either hiding something or clueless.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good info, any more?

Terry,

Thanks for the outstanding feedback. :thumbup:

I have a knock-around laptop and a computer in the Garage that would be perfect for the CDs. I will definitely look at the Bently books as well.

Got the estimated price for the changing the brakes (and apparently the rear rotors need to be changed as well) today - $500. :yikes:

I think it would be worth a Sat afternoon to do that myself.

Any other resources out there?

Thanks,

Dialtone

·
Registered
766 Posts
Parts info and pricing is available in the interim on

http://realoem.com/bmw

$500 is one of the LESS ridiculous quotes we have heard, if you mean 4x pads and rear rotors.

dialtone said:
Terry,

Thanks for the outstanding feedback. :thumbup:

I have a knock-around laptop and a computer in the Garage that would be perfect for the CDs. I will definitely look at the Bently books as well.

Got the estimated price for the changing the brakes (and apparently the rear rotors need to be changed as well) today - $500. :yikes:

I think it would be worth a Sat afternoon to do that myself.

Any other resources out there?

Thanks,

Dialtone

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OEM link

norihaga,

Thanks! Another great resource. I have to go pick up some rotors on Friday. This will give me an idea of what to expect. How about a good online source for buying parts?

Any ideas on the key?

This forum is turing out to be a great resource. :thumbup:

Thanks,

Dialtone

·
Registered
766 Posts
You will find lots of this stuff is covered in posts-past - try "search". :)

Oil is very, very easy on these cars. Use a vacuum type oil extractor (discussed in prior posts) that basically runs a tube down the dipstick tube and sucks the oil out of the sump. On our cars, the oil filter is actually on top of the engine - basically right in front of the radiator, so if you use a vacuum extractor and buy a 36mm socket (big!), you can do an oil change without lifting the car in about 15 minutes.

Brakes are also perfectly ordinary - do a search and you will find a number of "DIY" descriptions.

Don't know about the key...sorry.

Sources for buying parts - a couple of BMW dealers sell stuff by mail at a good discount off list. Try Pacific BMW or Circle BMW (the latter is in northern NJ, I think the former is in California).

dialtone said:
norihaga,

Thanks! Another great resource. I have to go pick up some rotors on Friday. This will give me an idea of what to expect. How about a good online source for buying parts?

Any ideas on the key?

This forum is turing out to be a great resource. :thumbup:

Thanks,

Dialtone

1 - 6 of 6 Posts