BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm pretty sure the wheels bearing went cause when i drive theres a click noise "sounds like bearings broke" how much should i exspect this to cost in labor????
also how much are the kit or bearings???
thanks

·
Tha All-star
1,251 Posts
How are u sure the bearing is bad? No one on here knows exactly how much the bearings or kits cost. You are going to have to do your research and figure it out. Labor wise its probably about 100-150 depending on how hard it is to take the old ones out.

·
Tightrope walking
9,559 Posts
I'm pretty sure the wheels bearing went cause when i drive theres a click noise "sounds like bearings broke" how much should i exspect this to cost in labor????
also how much are the kit or bearings???
thanks
On an E36, my mechanic charges $250-$300 for one side, depending on how much a pain the labor is. I decided that I would do the job myself to save the $200-250 on labor. The job was so enormously annoying that I'm paying him to do the job for me next time.

Now, with the caveat that I don't know the differences on the job between an E36 and an E39, I'd say that if they don't charge you more than $300, it's worth having the mechanic do the job.

·
Registered
5,274 Posts
Are you sure it's a wheel bearing and not a ball joint? Wheel bearings typically hum when they go, and ball joints usually give a clicking noise. The job is involved, but not terribly difficult. The wheels and rotors need to come off first. Then the bolt on the steering knuckle needs to be loosened and slid down the strut tube. That will expose the two other bolts needed to remove the bearing, there are 4 bolts total. 2 are accessible, and 2 are not, that's the reason for all the extra work. Not sure what a mechanic would charge though.

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
If its a bearing, expect to pay about $85-$100 for a rear bearing kit. I just sold my friend a kit for one of his rears that went out. As for labor I cannot tell you how much.

·
I'm otay. You are not.
1,337 Posts
Better question might be, "How much will it cost to have someone look at my car and tell me what's going on and what it will cost to fix it?" Most shops will give you a free estimate. Find a reputable one in your area and go see them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts