BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I'm definitely going zaino on my spanking new topaz 330ci. Now what I'm wondering is, how should I wash the car. I have looked around a lot but want to make sure. Do you guys just use a bucket full of DAWN with water and a huge sponge to wash the car initially? And then go in with a microfiber towel or calif water blade to dry off?

Do you use the same microfiber towel to apply the Zaino coats, or do you keep 5 towels so you can switch the towel between each coat? Thanks for the help, sorry about the newbie question...

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
amzbimmer said:
Ok, I'm definitely going zaino on my spanking new topaz 330ci. Now what I'm wondering is, how should I wash the car. I have looked around a lot but want to make sure. Do you guys just use a bucket full of DAWN with water and a huge sponge to wash the car initially? And then go in with a microfiber towel or calif water blade to dry off?

Do you use the same microfiber towel to apply the Zaino coats, or do you keep 5 towels so you can switch the towel between each coat? Thanks for the help, sorry about the newbie question...
initially, you could use dawn (about half an ounce to an ouce per gallon). then clay if you want to remove any rail dust, but this is not really necessary. then wash with a quality car shampoo. then dry with whatever you want. some ppl here swear by the cwb, some have an utter disdain for it. (by the way, when washing, dont use circular motions, but rather linear, flow of air, motions. and two buckets, one for soap, one for rinse)

a lot of ppl just run water (from hose with no attachment) over the car and the water just sheets off mostly, then they use a towel of some sort (chamois, microfiber, etc) to get the last of the water. some ppl, use the cwb to get the majority and then towel the rest.... you get the idea

as for zaino, you can use the same towel per zaino product. so one for z1/zfx, 1 for z5, 1 for z2, etc. go detail now.... have fun

·
Registered
6,869 Posts
Wash the car with a good quality car wash. Use a sheepskin or 100% cotton cloth/mitt. Use 2 buckets of water, one with soap one plain. Dip the mitt in the soapy water, wash car, rinse in clean water before dipping into soapy water for continued washing. Wash in the direction the air flows over your car. Wash 2' X 2' areas at a time and turn mitt over half way.

Do not wash in sunlight, kep car wet till you are ready to dry. Use a Natural or synthetic chamois to dry.

Clay the car!

I don't do Zaino...

·
Registered
179 Posts
Excellent advice!

If I could just add two more things.....

1. Do your rims and wheels first with a wash mitt dedicated ONLY for the rims (or you can use a soft brush). The last thing you want to do is risk splattering anything on your just-washed & dried car when washing your rims. Do not use the same wash-water on your car's paint as you do your wheels and tires. Throw it out and refill your bucket.

2. Wash one panel at a time (I think in_d_haus covered this though). In other words....rinse your car out completely, wash one panel (roof first), & then rinse the panel. Repeat this procedure until you've done the entire car. You'll get less soapy residue this way.

·
Color blind photographer
1,730 Posts

·
!
106 Posts
beauport said:
Our friends at e46fanatics wrote up a very detailed and clear thread about car care, it may be worth reading for both washing and waxing our cars.

Hello fellow Don Juan'er. My 330Cic is also on your boat, which means that our cars are just getting to Nova Scotia right now, and they should be in Newark by Wednesday.

On Order:
330Cic, Jet Black/Gray, SP, Heated Seats, NAV, Xenons

·
Color blind photographer
1,730 Posts
Hello fellow Don Juan'er. My 330Cic is also on your boat, which means that our cars are just getting to Nova Scotia right now, and they should be in Newark by Wednesday.

On Order:
330Cic, Jet Black/Gray, SP, Heated Seats, NAV, Xenons [/B][/QUOTE]

May I ask a favor please? Head over to the port tomorrow and be sure yours and my car gets safely off the boat and through the VPC and on their way home - ASAP ! ! Mine's the only steel gray coupe with natural brown with both Austrian and Swiss road decals on the windshield. Thanks.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.