Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Keeping it surreal
43,082 Posts
Needs further explanation, videos, etc.

·
Keeping it surreal
43,082 Posts
The windows in the back of my bmw 325i 2003 wont go up and down. Ones down won’t go up . Ones up won’t go down. It’s poring rain in my car. Help!

OK, you`re new at this....let`s start with the basics.

What kind of vehicle are we talking about ?
(4-door sedan, 2-door coupe, wagon, convertible ?)
Any noises present when you press the switches ?
(Do you hear the motor turning, clicking or banging sounds, etc ?)

Have you tried inserting the key in the door lock, then holding the key all the way to the right, which will (normally) close all windows & sunroof ?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry yes I’m new to this I have a BMW 2003 325i sedan automatic four door 181,000 miles on it. Can’t get neither windows to work in the back . I tried rolling the window up I didn’t hear anything but it was pouring down rain. My boyfriend has been working on it don’t know what he has tried at this point. I’m not home. Could you just give me some ideas to give to my boyfriend when I get home so he can try and get this window problem fixed.

·
Keeping it surreal
43,082 Posts
Sorry yes I’m new to this I have a BMW 2003 325i sedan automatic four door 181,000 miles on it. Can’t get neither windows to work in the back . I tried rolling the window up I didn’t hear anything but it was pouring down rain. My boyfriend has been working on it don’t know what he has tried at this point. I’m not home. Could you just give me some ideas to give to my boyfriend when I get home so he can try and get this window problem fixed.

Basic stuff first....try that door lock thingy that I mentioned earlier, check all fuses, see if any noises are present, which is often the case with a failing regulator (the mechanism that makes the window roll up & down). These have a nasty habit of self-destructing on the E46 (but not usually in pairs), most of us have replaced a few of them.

Right now, I would say that diagnosing what`s wrong is the first step.
Good luck ! :thumbup:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks so much I will tell him everything as soon i get home. Thanks for help.

·
Certifiable BMW Whackjob!
5,813 Posts
As Bob said the regulators usually don't spontaneously fail in pairs but since you are new here we don't know how long you have had this car or its history.
If any windows move I don't think it is a fuse. If there is a crunching noise when the window moves that is the regulator (works with cable/pulleys). If the window goes one direction perfectly and nothing (not even motor sound) in the other direction it is probably the switch.

My personal statistics:
'01 330xi sedan bought October 2015, summer 2016 front passenger window wouldn't go up replaced switch, summer 2018 rear drivers side window drops when hitting bumps replaced regulator, winter 18/19 front passenger window needs help and makes crunching noise and front driver showing signs both regulators ordered.
'02 325xi sedan bought October 2018 needing front passenger regulator (and everything else since a-hole gutted door and sealed window when it broke).
So first of all people like selling these cars with broken regulators but even if they aren't when you buy the car there is a good chance it will be one of the first few problems you have. The switches are pretty solid but by 200k miles if they got regular use or things spilled on them they will give up.

sent from the future using the bimmerfest app embedded in my neural implant

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for input I have had the car a couple years as I said it has 181,000. I don’t know if my dawg hit the switch button and rolled the window and then it wouldn’t roll up. And then the other window wouldn’t roll down

·
Certifiable BMW Whackjob!
5,813 Posts
So in those couple years I assume you've used the windows a fair amount without trouble or noises?
Well I hope the rain stopped by now. So what has been tried and results so far?

sent from the future using the bimmerfest app embedded in my neural implant

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ive got such a great boyfriend he’s just right on top of things ! Lol NOT . He’s a farmer and he can do anything and I know this but he drags his feet on working on my car. He’s checked the switches so far. So I guess I’m. Going to go check the fuses. I can do that . The door lock thing I can do that . So I am going to go try that. But thanks guys for helping me figure out what my problem my be . If anyone has anymore suggestions there greatly appreciated. By the way I’ve used these windows hardly any since I’ve had this car. I know that seems crazy but it’s just me and I hardly roll the back ones down. Have a great Sunday

·
Registered
701 Posts
Sounds like the problem is the general module which is an electronic control module that takes the inputs from the switch and then powers the window motors. If the problems is the same from both the front switches and from the rear switches then definitely a general module problem. It can not be a fuse because the two rear windows are powered from fuse 71 and if it was blow you would have no control over the rear windows at all (no up or down of either rear window).

·
Registered
152 Posts
I can't get mine to go UP. Seriously. 3 windows now and one of them I already replaced the regulator once on and a few years later - it went down and wouldn't go back up again. So very tired of it. PULLED the window glass up as far as I could & just taped it up there for now. AGAIN.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Ive got such a great boyfriend he’s just right on top of things ! Lol NOT . He’s a farmer and he can do anything and I know this but he drags his feet on working on my car. He’s checked the switches so far. So I guess I’m. Going to go check the fuses. I can do that . The door lock thing I can do that . So I am going to go try that. But thanks guys for helping me figure out what my problem my be . If anyone has anymore suggestions there greatly appreciated. By the way I’ve used these windows hardly any since I’ve had this car. I know that seems crazy but it’s just me and I hardly roll the back ones down. Have a great Sunday

You sound like me but minus the farmer BF. This forum saved me a lot of grief but I wish I could find a good, honest mechanic around. LOL

1 - 15 of 15 Posts