BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I removed the vacuum hose from the back pressure valve in the exhaust.

The sound did not increase hardly at all. My car was already fairly gurgly.

Some here were complaining that it was sooo loud. Not sure if this mod really makes any difference.

·
10,856 Posts
paul330ci said:
I removed the vacuum hose from the back pressure valve in the exhaust.

The sound did not increase hardly at all. My car was already fairly gurgly.

Some here were complaining that it was sooo loud. Not sure if this mod really makes any difference.
It makes no difference above 2500-3000 RPMs. It also makes no difference at idle. Below, the resonance is rather loud and obvious. If there's NO noise change at all, then your valve probably wasn't working in the first place.

·
Head-In-Sand Dumbass
2,192 Posts
Re: Re: Backpressure valve = no louder

Nick325xiT 5spd said:

If there's NO noise change at all, then your valve probably wasn't working in the first place.
Heh, I think the problem is that these people who don't hear the difference are just partially deaf.

Shame on them for knowingly providing us with such a falsity!

:lmao:

·
5,820 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Backpressure valve = no louder

webguy330i said:

Heh, I think the problem is that these people who don't hear the difference are just partially deaf.

:lmao:
Well, I do wear hearing aids, have since I was 1, and I didn't hear any difference either!

·
Head-In-Sand Dumbass
2,192 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Backpressure valve = no louder

johnlew said:

Well, I do wear hearing aids, have since I was 1, and I didn't hear any difference either!
OK ok, so maybe my ears are just overly sensitive. :)

No seriously, the sound is ONLY louder under 2500 rpms or so, and it's only really noticeable if you take off from a complete stand-still when the engine typically "burbles" and then quiets very quickly. Without the valve operating, that burbling continues to increase in pitch all the way up to 2000-2500 rpms and then the engine note takes over the exhaust note.

The other noticeable noise is that the exhaust maintains a certain note while cruising (i.e. steady on the gas). You can hear the exhaust just a bit more than you would have otherwise, since the engine is still pretty prominent.

I promise, I'm not making this stuff up folks!

·
Head-In-Sand Dumbass
2,192 Posts
paul330ci said:
Replies by webguy is why I hate asking questions or providing answers.

It was just a comment for pete's sake. I hate these Johnny come lately BMW owners.
People like yourself who don't know sarcasm when it smacks them across the ass is why I'm ... well, sarcastic, I suppose.

Glad you can take a joke buddy! It is the internet after all isn't it?

·
Head-In-Sand Dumbass
2,192 Posts
paul330ci said:
That is exactly what I mean. Oh well.
How about this: instead of posting an entirely new thread about a topic already covered by 70+ rants in a previously-established thread, just go to said thread and post your comments there (especially when they don't even deviate from anything anyone else said). That way you'll fall in line with all of the other boisterous ranters and you won't get singled out by the big bad exhaust-valve-disengaging webguy.

*sighing incessantly*

·
TMS Grand-AM Cup Crew
457 Posts
Chris,

I'll agree that there is some noise increase. I posted on the larger thread stating that it was barely audible. I too am one of those "overly sensitive" drivers, and felt that the loss that I myself experienced in the bottom end, did not compensate for the slight noise increase.

As we know, all E46s are different. I had a loaner that sounded like a V8 with straight pipes...it was great. My car..not that loud.

My point is, to each his own. If you want to try something different, why not.
:dunno:

DM

1 - 10 of 10 Posts