BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had no issues with the backup camera until this past weekend. We took a trip with our sons and my youngest closed the trunk. He didn't close it all the way and I noticed this as I was backing up. I for a moment, since the trunk looked shut (he just didn't close it hard enough, he's used to the soft close doors), thought the backup camera wasn't on because i saw a gray screen. So, I tried to enable it manually with the button, but it didn't change the screen. I then realized the screen was telling me that the trunk was open. I put the car in park, closed the trunk, resumed travel. I noticed, however, that when we arrived at our destination, the backup camera was still open. Upon returning to our car hours later, the emblem was closed. I thought I was all set.

I was out. Turns out that whenever I unlock my car, the camera pops out. It seems to stay out the entire time I am driving (as evidenced by all the road salt that's on it now), and closes at some point after I have locked the car. I'm guessing once it does the full system shutdown after like 15 minutes it probably closes then.

This is not normal behavior. I have no idea what button combination I pushed to get me into this state and can't find anything online that tells me how to get out of it. I would prefer it go back to the way it was where it is usually closed unless I am backing up.

Thoughts???

Thanks,
McP

·
Registered
7 Posts
Happens to me as well, but usually just fixes itself.

I think it***8217;s just an computer issue connected with iDrive. Dealer hadn***8217;t been able to do anything about it in the past, so just one of the weird quirks (defects) of the car I suppose.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That sucks. It's getting covered with salt and stuff now. Hope it decides to fix itself soon...

Next trip to the dealer I'll have them look at it - maybe can get something done under warranty.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Had the opposite happen to me recently. Reverse camera wouldn't pop out upon reverse or camera/parking sensors button. Camera and trunk latch/sensor still works as normal.
Car just got out of CPO warranty 2 weeks prior. Took it to the dealership and they quoted me $1800 to fix it. New motor, reprogram and labor. They said it was a very uncommon issue.
Luckily got BMW NA to cover 85% as a good faith warranty work.
If the car is still under warranty, take it in and have it investigated. It could be just a software glitch but at least they will have a record of the issue if it decides to fail permanently later.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts