BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are there backup cameras that could be installed by the BMW dealer? 328XI 2007 sedan

Thanks for your help.

Harvey

·
Registered
323 Posts
I was going to do this but just ordered the parktronic system from the factory.... may I ask why dont you like parktronic?

·
Registered
122 Posts
I would recommend the parktronic system from the factory. I have it in my 335i Conv w/Nav and love it.

My wife has a camera in her Toyota it's pretty much useless. You can't look behind you and at the display at the same time. Her system has a very annoying beeping sound when your in reverse which isn't relative to how close you are to objects. You can't see the side of the car very well and you have no real sense of depth.

·
Registered
580 Posts
If you don't get Parktronic as a factory-installed option, it's not available from the dealer afterwards. I'm with the OP -- there must be a backup camera that either integrates with the existing display or has its own screen.

·
Registered
323 Posts
there are plenty of aftermarket parktronic kits that you could install...

·
Freedom isn't free!!
2018 Glacier Silver 340i M Sport
19,908 Posts
Park Distance Control along with I-Drive provides an animated screen showing where obstacles are located. I think it's better than a camera.

·
Street Power!
70 Posts
-- there must be a backup camera that either integrates with the existing display or has its own screen.
There is! It's an BMW option, but it's only available in Europe:tsk: I have no idea why they haven't released it yet for the US spec'd cars?:confused:

·
Registered
621 Posts
Hello. I can't dispute others' experiences, but here's my one experience with a camera system:

I had a late model Audi A8 as a loaner car for a week. Among its more impressive (and excessive!) technological features was back-up assistance that included a camera, a display of the real time video image with dynamic HUD overlay, and sonar beep. That was a big, heavy, expensive and big (had I mentioned big?) ol' car. The back-up assistance was fantastic. I would never have thought I would like such a feature until living with that A8 for a week.

That said, I am inclined to think that the camera+HUD solution would be overkill in a 3 Series. Fun, but overkill. ;)

Good Luck,

Snaxster

1 - 10 of 10 Posts