BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a 2001 BMW 530i E39. Really got a bad creaking sound coming from my driver side door and my rear driver side passenger door every time, I open and close the door. It sounds like an elephant is in my car every time I open the door and it's really annoying me. I have tried WD-40 high-performance white Lithium grease, with no such help. It sounds like it's even gotten worse. Can anyone help me out to solve this issue is really making me mad and it's kind of embarrassing every time I have to open the front drivers and rear drivers door. Really appreciate it if somebody could help you out solve this problem.
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered Lunatic
971 Posts
The most common cause is misalignment of the door. How long have you had the car?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not long, but I'm pretty sure it hasn't been hit there or anything in that sense because I knew the owners brother, and he had the car for about 10 years. Bought it as a certified series from BMW, and it was pretty well mantained and kept in good shape. Does it get misaligned by itself overtime and what's the solution ? Thanks

·
Registered
234 Posts
I had this problem on the passenger side front only when opening fully and car has been in zero accidents. IIRC there are two pivot points, and then there's an arm with a roller that goes into the door....try hitting all with some lithium grease.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had this problem on the passenger side front only when opening fully and car has been in zero accidents. IIRC there are two pivot points, and then there's an arm with a roller that goes into the door....try hitting all with some lithium grease.
hmm, i think i have sprayed every nook and cranny but i will take a closer look. Any other products you guys recommend before i go ahead and make the appointment with my mechanic ?

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
I've used CRC white lithium grease with great results (in a spray can).

·
Premium Member
7,579 Posts
My front passenger side door has had this issue for about 6 or 7 years. It is coming from the door check strap, not the hinges. I have lubed it with everything under the sun...various greases, spray lubes (liquids and greases) and potions. Some have reduced the creaking noise, none have eliminated it. Dealer says replacement of the check strap is the best course of action. I've learned to live with it, though about once a year I break out everything I have and attack it...spray stuff into every possible area of that opening and smearing with greases....it reduces the noise for a time. ;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts