BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Bad Custom Order Screw up : Advice needed.

1562 8
SHORT VERSION : Has anyone on here had a custom order go bad? How were you compensated?

I have posted a couple times about the situation, but now it has gotten out of hand. I placed my order in the first week of April, unbeknownst to me they had no quota available so it did not go into the system until May. I'm fine with that part, apparently happens all the time.

I finally get a production number but it never gets past documentation (Never went 150), I check the site regularly and talk to my CA once every two weeks or so to find out what the situation is. He doesn't know what the deal is, tells me that it is not on his end. I believe him, he has been super honest the whole time, no real reason not to. Now I am getting anxious, because if the 8 weeks it normally takes was right, I would be driving my car (it was mid June at this point). Still I chalk it up to slow production on the 335i, and it is a manual.

Then on the first of July my order disappears, like a messed up magic trick. No more 2012 335i for me. I run over to the dealership first chance I get, and now we have to re-submit my order, starting from scratch. I go home mad that now it is going to take another 8 weeks, so I write my CA an email. At this point we have established a pretty good rapport so I ask him what the deal is, still no clue.

The order finally goes 150 on July 5th and completes production on the 16th. Then, once again, NOTHING! Finally leaves for the port on the 25th and is now sitting at the dock, having just missed two ships bound for NY.

Looks like I will be getting my car the first week in September, almost a full six months after ordering.

I am wondering if you did have an order take FOREVER, how did BMW compensate you, if at all. I am going into the dealership tomorrow morning and could use some ammo / ideas.

A couple people have suggested getting them to give me a loaner, since I have been avoiding driving my trade for three months so I can keep the value somewhat stable.

EDIT: Yes I agree, this was not so much of a screw up as it was an extended delay. My issue is that I was strung along on several occasions, being promised things that never happened.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
When I first read your thread I thought it was going to be about the car coming in with the wrong options or something. You would not be the first 335i owner waiting a long time for their car. Allocation for the 335 have been tight. Your dealership should have been more upfront with you.

Not sure are you necessarily due anything, but the price for 2013 has gone up, so if they didn't charge you anything extra, then you already received another discount, but feel free to try and get some more cash out of them. Hold on, it will be here soon! :)
Thanks. After reading your post I am depressed enough to contemplate suicide.:bawling:

I still don't have a production number, talked to my CA this morning and he hopes to have one this week. That is what he said last week. Hopes and dreams, sounds like an Obama campaign slogan.
SHORT VERSION : Has anyone on here had a custom order go bad? How were you compensated?

I have posted a couple times about the situation, but now it has gotten out of hand. I placed my order in the first week of April, unbeknownst to me they had no quota available so it did not go into the system until May. I'm fine with that part, apparently happens all the time.

I finally get a production number but it never gets past documentation (Never went 150), I check the site regularly and talk to my CA once every two weeks or so to find out what the situation is. He doesn't know what the deal is, tells me that it is not on his end. I believe him, he has been super honest the whole time, no real reason not to. Now I am getting anxious, because if the 8 weeks it normally takes was right, I would be driving my car (it was mid June at this point). Still I chalk it up to slow production on the 335i, and it is a manual.

Then on the first of July my order disappears, like a messed up magic trick. No more 2012 335i for me. I run over to the dealership first chance I get, and now we have to re-submit my order, starting from scratch. I go home mad that now it is going to take another 8 weeks, so I write my CA an email. At this point we have established a pretty good rapport so I ask him what the deal is, still no clue.

The order finally goes 150 on July 5th and completes production on the 16th. Then, once again, NOTHING! Finally leaves for the port on the 25th and is now sitting at the dock, having just missed two ships bound for NY.

Looks like I will be getting my car the first week in September, almost a full six months after ordering.

I am wondering if you did have an order take FOREVER, how did BMW compensate you, if at all. I am going into the dealership tomorrow morning and could use some ammo / ideas.

A couple people have suggested getting them to give me a loaner, since I have been avoiding driving my trade for three months so I can keep the value somewhat stable.
I would say that you have a delay, not a "bad order screw-up". A bad order screw-up is someone like yourself who orders a 6MT and gets an 8AT delivered... has the car built with other wrong options, etc.

Certainly due to the delay the dealer owes you some satisfaction, but the time to have squeezed that out of them was when you had the choice of putting a 2nd order in with them or with a different dealership. That time is past. Maybe they will give you a BMW sweatshirt or something.
Compensation ideas:

1. Free F30 loaner until the car arrives.

2. One month payment forgiveness for every month the car is past its quoted arrival date.

3. Promotions bonanza ($300 app discount, $1000 test drive, extra year of free Sirius, extra year free BMW Assist, extra months of the pull-ahead program) they can play with these promotions and layer more on.

During discussions, throw around the website dealerrater.com. They don't want any negative mentions there.

BJ
Submitted and accepted orders (or dealer allocations) don't just disappear into thin air without an explanation.

My guess is that the dealer used the allocation assigned to your car for another client who was probably willing to pay more for an earlier spot.

if your production number changed, i would have to agree with the other poster, they sold your build slot to someone else. they may have swapped your original germany build car for an SA build car to get it to another customer faster.

i've ordered several cars, once the car is on a boat, it takes 2-3 weeks MAX from bremerhaven to the NJ port. a SA build adds about 4 weeks to that. manual transmission has no effect on build time.

an AG built car should take no more than 4-6 weeks from start of production to arrive at a dealer in the north east.

EDIT: Yes I agree, this was not so much of a screw up as it was an extended delay. My issue is that I was strung along on several occasions, being promised things that never happened.
I had a similar issue, except the order got screwed up (the AT vs the 6MT). Finally fixed and should get the car real soon now.

Here's how they took care of me. They bumped the 2012 to a 2013, added the lighting package and sports suspension, gave it to me at the original price. Basically, I'm getting a 50,670 MSRP car for 45,250. The 45,250 was a decent number on the 2012, and while I never bothered to verify specifically, I think it's actually below invoice on the 2013.

And since in my case, it was a screw up at BMWNA, not my dealer, the dealer was willing to push for more stuff, because BMWNA was eating the different.

PLUS, it's a lease which means the residual value is based on the 50,670 price so that works in my favor as well. Due to the time frame, I also got the Drive for Team USA credit (which hadn't come to my city for the original order, but the delay made that work).

The wait kind of sucked, but in the final analysis, I think I come out in pretty good shape.

As far as pushing for stuff, you can threaten to walk, but I don't know that this has much bite to it unless you really are. Maybe have them give you extended warranty or W&T for cost.

In any case, good luck and try and get what you can.
I was going to write the same exact thing. Good luck getting something out of this "magic trick"...
Submitted and accepted orders (or dealer allocations) don't just disappear into thin air without an explanation.

My guess is that the dealer used the allocation assigned to your car for another client who was probably willing to pay more for an earlier spot.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.