BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is not my car.
It's a v8 M62 engine - X5. It does not have the plastic guide rail. It's my friends car, and I took liberty to post here - some v8 folks might know how to deal with this problem. We think the timing is out by 1 notch (we believe the chain has slipped when the chain tensioner bit the dust). We don't know how to re-adjust the timing in this case.

Here is his original post from another forum:
"About a week ago, I got a noise coming from the engine passenger side and I parked the car back in the garage. Later that day I started the car again and the noise was gone for a few minutes than came back stronger. I thought was the chain rail but why the noise went away for a few minutes? When I get the noise the engine is also running rough and I got SES with P0011. There was a metallic noise plus something else. I took the valve cover off and noticed the tensioner was loose. I replaced the tensioner yesterday and the metallic noise is gone but I still have a lot of bad noise coming from the engine (left side/center) as in the link attached. Somebody mentioned that the chain might have jumped a leg and I would need the camshaft adjusted. How do I test to make sure that's the case? An indy said that it might be the camshaft adjuster but I didn't find any thread about this. It doesn't look like a common problem. I switched the camshaft sensors around and even replaced with a new one but no change. I have no idea what I should do next."
Engine noise

Any ideas are welcome. My friend might chime in. His forum name: fmugur.

Thanks guys

·
Registered
26 Posts
This is not my car.
It's a v8 M62 engine - X5. It does not have the plastic guide rail. It's my friends car, and I took liberty to post here - some v8 folks might know how to deal with this problem. We think the timing is out by 1 notch (we believe the chain has slipped when the chain tensioner bit the dust). We don't know how to re-adjust the timing in this case.

Here is his original post from another forum:
"About a week ago, I got a noise coming from the engine passenger side and I parked the car back in the garage. Later that day I started the car again and the noise was gone for a few minutes than came back stronger. I thought was the chain rail but why the noise went away for a few minutes? When I get the noise the engine is also running rough and I got SES with P0011. There was a metallic noise plus something else. I took the valve cover off and noticed the tensioner was loose. I replaced the tensioner yesterday and the metallic noise is gone but I still have a lot of bad noise coming from the engine (left side/center) as in the link attached. Somebody mentioned that the chain might have jumped a leg and I would need the camshaft adjusted. How do I test to make sure that's the case? An indy said that it might be the camshaft adjuster but I didn't find any thread about this. It doesn't look like a common problem. I switched the camshaft sensors around and even replaced with a new one but no change. I have no idea what I should do next."
Engine noise

Any ideas are welcome. My friend might chime in. His forum name: fmugur.

Thanks guys
Doru, thanks for posting this. It feels good when you make friends through forums. This forums are very helpful.

Guys,
I have done more research and it looks like it could be two possible causes for this problem:
1. the chain jumped a tooth
2. the VANOS solenoid is not working

Now, for cause 1 I have to take the entire front down and do the timing. So, for this procedure I have to find a honest mechanic.
For option 2 I guess the front does not have to come off but how do I test to make sure the solenoid is actually not working. Not sure if I am right though but that's based on the reading I have done so far.

·
Registered
2 Posts
hey guys, what ended up being the problem, and how did you fix it? Today my car started to make that terrible engine noise. It started off where I could barely hear it at a stop light and within the remaining two miles to get home people could hear me coming. I scanned my car and came up with P0011. I am not the most mechanical person but do have some knowledge. I had a shop recently (1200 miles ago) replace the valve cover gaskets but other then that this engine had not been apart that much in the 5 years I have owned it. I was not happy with the shop I took it to and didnt feel like they totally knew what they were doing (I would have done it myself but I was crammed for time.) wondering if there is anything I can do to check and see what is wrong with it or if I need to take it to a (different) shop. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
31 Posts
On the E39 M62tu motor usually when you get the P0011 code and the engine sounds terrible, it is your u-shaped timing chain guide has broken. Drop your oil pan and look for pieces.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts