BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Negotiated a deal over the phone yesterday with Woodlands BMW. The CA told me to come by as he had the car there and it was ready to go. Dealer is about 50 miles from my house. As there was a sales tax credit special going on here, I had very limited time to do the deal, and decided this was the best deal, so drove out to the dealer. Midway during the drive, I get a call from the dealer, "the color on the interior is wrong, I made a mistake....sorry. I'll make u a great deal on an X5 though....." What kind of BS is that? If they had any integrity, they would honor their side of the deal and locate the car they committed to, but he absolutely refused to do that, and just said too bad, made a mistake. Needless to say, lost out on the tax credit deal, as it expired yesterday.......I think he was full of it.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Don't know exactly where you are, but, if you already know exactly what you want, I suggest you contact Mike Lower at Garlyn Shelton in Temple. He will treatly you professionally and make you a fair deal.

·
Registered
1 Posts
What kind of Tax Credit was going on?

I bought a 530 from Momentum on Saturday on the southwest side of town. Did I lose out on something???

Thanks

·
Registered
459 Posts
Too bad about your potential purchase, but, at least the Dealer had enough integrity to call you before you arrived to adivse of the error. Mistakes happen, fact of life. To me it does not appear they tried to mislead you. I hope that you find another car to your liking.
vz

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tax credit

Yes, some dealers I called did not disclose the tax credits until I pushed them on the issue, at which point they somehow found out from their manager that indeed they were given sales tax credits......it was a really sweet deal if u were able to get in on it. Unfortunately, I missed out due to this one salesman who I dont think was completely honest with me.

·
Stuart in Houston
699 Posts
ilans1 said:
Yes, some dealers I called did not disclose the tax credits until I pushed them on the issue, at which point they somehow found out from their manager that indeed they were given sales tax credits......it was a really sweet deal if u were able to get in on it. Unfortunately, I missed out due to this one salesman who I dont think was completely honest with me.
Could you elaborate on this "tax credit" issue? As someone intimately familiar with the (Texas sales) tax laws, I am wondering what you are referring to.

Thanks.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
tax credit

As I understood it (from several different dealers), dealers in tx were given certain amounts of tax credits, so that if you leased a car during the promotion, you would pay no sales tax at all on the lease. I was told that this offer comes along maybe twice a year, and is not promoted publicly at all.

·
Registered
2015 335 M-Sport Mineral Gray
6,347 Posts
There have been many posts/threads discussing the poor sales practices amongst the Houston dealers.:(

I bought my car in Bryan from Garlyn Shelton. :thumbup:

·
Registered
459 Posts
ilans1 said:
As I understood it (from several different dealers), dealers in tx were given certain amounts of tax credits, so that if you leased a car during the promotion, you would pay no sales tax at all on the lease. I was told that this offer comes along maybe twice a year, and is not promoted publicly at all.
Not advertised......Humm, you wouldn't think that dealers are collecting tax from their customers, then not submitting it to the state :yikes: :rolleyes:
vz

·
Stuart in Houston
699 Posts
ilans1 said:
No chance on earth. There is a misunderstanding somewhere in this story. The state does not have seasonal or promotional taxes, other than the school supplies tax moratorium (which happens to be coming up). A dealer may play with the numbers however they like, but no tax credits from the state.

Is anyone else aware of this? Has anyone taken advantage of it?

Further, Texas has one of the most diligent state taxing authorities around. Almost every business entity gets audited on their sales/use taxes on a regular basis.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Most likely it was a BMWNA promotion. Each dealer was allocated a certain $ amount of credits.....Again, several dealers in different cities confirmed this to me, so I'm not making it up.

·
Stuart in Houston
699 Posts
ilans1 said:
Most likely it was a BMWNA promotion. Each dealer was allocated a certain $ amount of credits.....Again, several dealers in different cities confirmed this to me, so I'm not making it up.
ilans1, I didn't mean to come across as harsh (and re-reading my posts it may have). And I wasn't disputing you were offered a deal. I was just pointing out that it couldn't have been a government offered tax credit. It was, as you point out, most likely a dealer incentive.

Back to the thread... I have bought BMWs from Houston dealers going back to the David Hobbs era. And while the price negotiating has sometimes become challenging (contentious?), all in all it has been a good experience. Service is mostly good, but over 20+ years of driving bimmers, there will be the occasional unhappy experience.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.