BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Automotive Hypochondriac
Joined
·
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think the fuel pump on my '01 M Coupe might be failing.

I hear a groaning/grumbling sound once I turn the key to the II position (car not started). Then when starting the car, it takes a while for the engine to turnover. I replaced the battery a few months ago so I don't think it's that. Once started I also hear a high-pitched whine, which is loudest outside the car in the rear passenger-side wheel well.

Are these symptoms indicative of a failing fuel pump or is something else broken :cry: ?

Thanks in advance,
Pani
 

·
Im here
Joined
·
4,825 Posts
Pani said:
I think the fuel pump on my '01 M Coupe might be failing.

I hear a groaning/grumbling sound once I turn the key to the II position (car not started). Then when starting the car, it takes a while for the engine to turnover. I replaced the battery a few months ago so I don't think it's that. Once started I also hear a high-pitched whine, which is loudest outside the car in the rear passenger-side wheel well.

Are these symptoms indicative of a failing fuel pump or is something else broken :cry: ?

Thanks in advance,
Pani
yes,sounds like its starting to fail on you
 

·
Automotive Hypochondriac
Joined
·
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
$1250 to replace the fuel pump and fuel filter at the dealer. Ouch. :(
 

·
Equine 1/4 miler ancestor
Joined
·
1,687 Posts
Is the diagnosis the fuel pump for certain?

I had similar symptoms, except not the turnover delay. Dealer insisted that it was "normal" (this was before the warranty expired, of course).

I also had a turnover delay, but that was just before the battery failed.
 

·
Automotive Hypochondriac
Joined
·
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, the dealer checked it out. When I described the symptoms the service writer thought it might be the "vacuum pump." He has a similar high-pitched whine in his Z3 and it was deemed normal operation (I thought it was pretty funny that even the service writers have trouble getting warranty work done.).

The shop foreman checked it out, however, and said that it was the fuel pump and also suggested changing the fuel filter at the same time.

Man, these cars are getting expensive to maintain.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
108 Posts
Wow price sounds outrageous! I just replaced my filter for about $20 or $25, and I purchased a Walbro GSS340 pump for about $120 IIRC. Are the S54 systems that much more expensive???
 

·
Crazy Coupe Lady
Joined
·
985 Posts
JoeZ said:
Wow price sounds outrageous! I just replaced my filter for about $20 or $25, and I purchased a Walbro GSS340 pump for about $120 IIRC. Are the S54 systems that much more expensive???
scale of 1-10, what is the diy difficulty level of the pump and filter?
 

·
Automotive Hypochondriac
Joined
·
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
JoeZ said:
Wow price sounds outrageous! I just replaced my filter for about $20 or $25, and I purchased a Walbro GSS340 pump for about $120 IIRC. Are the S54 systems that much more expensive???
I'm not sure, but realoem.com lists the fuel pump at $876 plus core. So maybe it is different.
 

·
Crazy Coupe Lady
Joined
·
985 Posts
Pani said:
I'm not sure, but realoem.com lists the fuel pump at $876 plus core. So maybe it is different.
:yikes: note to self....try not to break fuel pump
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
108 Posts
MZ.368 said:
scale of 1-10, what is the diy difficulty level of the pump and filter?
Filter was super easy. Just get under her, remove heat shield, remove a couple hose clamps (I replaced), pop out the filter, pop the new one in.

I haven't done the pump yet, probably get to it sometime next week. ///MDex of bf.c did a good writeup with pics recently- doesn't look too bad, here's a link to his site

Link
 

·
19,585 Miles
Joined
·
11,141 Posts
Pani said:
I'm not sure, but realoem.com lists the fuel pump at $876 plus core. So maybe it is different.
Suggested retail for the pump 16 14 2 229 672 is $785.00.
Suggested retail for the gasket is $5.30.
Suggested retail for the filter is $35.50.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20129

The fuel filter/regulator for the Z4 is in the gas tank. $115 retail.
The pump is too. $255 retail.
 

·
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest!
Joined
·
157 Posts
Pani said:
I think the fuel pump on my '01 M Coupe might be failing.

I hear a groaning/grumbling sound once I turn the key to the II position (car not started). Then when starting the car, it takes a while for the engine to turnover. I replaced the battery a few months ago so I don't think it's that. Once started I also hear a high-pitched whine, which is loudest outside the car in the rear passenger-side wheel well.

Are these symptoms indicative of a failing fuel pump or is something else broken :cry: ?

Thanks in advance,
Pani
I had the same symptoms earlier this year for about a week or so but then it went away on its own. :dunno:

I did the fuel filter recently...real easy.
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top