BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We all know about BMW Gremlins. You know, un-explainable electronic issues that come and go for no reason.

I have had an occasional issue with my fuel gauge. A few months back, for 3 tanks of gas, when I refueled, instead of showing a full tank, it showed empty for 15 mins, and then magically showed full. From that point on it would be fine. For the last 2 months, no issues at all.

So, today, after another Gremlin issue (locks not responding to the remote, or the key button on the dash. This happens monthly), when the x3 started, it showed no fuel at all. This time it didnt clear in 15 mins. After getting to my destination, I started the x3 (and this time the locks worked), and the gas gauge was fine.

Thoughts? Has anyone experienced this? Im still on CPO and I believe this is a covered item.

2005 3.0

Thanks

·
MT = Doppler Shifting
985 Posts
... So, today, after another Gremlin issue (locks not responding to the remote, or the key button on the dash. This happens monthly), when the x3 started, it showed no fuel at all. This time it didn't clear in 15 mins. After getting to my destination, I started the x3 (and this time the locks worked), and the gas gauge was fine...
Don't have the knowledge to address the fuel gauge, but a thought on the key fob: I know the manual on my '07 notes that the transmitter fobs are recharged during use in the ignition, and they recommend using the keys regularly to keep them charged. Now, I don't know if the '05 keys work in the same way, but if so, it's possible your fob was weak or discharged (sat for a long time without use, rechargeable battery just reaching the end of its useful life, etc.). Try to keep both keys in use to keep the transmitter batteries charged.

·
Registered
406 Posts
I had a similar issue with my fuel gauge only once. I filled up, and it took like 50 miles to show full. It only did it once, but I've since run a bottle of Techron through it since I found a BMW SIB somewhere saying to run fuel system cleaner (BMW cleaner = Techron) through the car in the event the fuel gauge is slow to respond. I guess the reason being that any fuel contaminant might cause the float on the fuel pump to stick. Go to wal mart and get a bottle of Techron.

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
... I guess the reason being that any fuel contaminant might cause the float on the fuel pump to stick.
Yes, but not necessarily contaminated fuel per se.

The material used in the sender units tend to accumulate sulfur deposits, even when perfectly clean fuel is used.

Affects most vehicle brands, but some more than others.

Techron/BMW cleaner have some antidote that appears to actually remove those deposits as well as preventing future accumulation.

See:
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?p=10718307

If you don't have Chevron gas in your area, it's a good plan to hunt down bottles of Techron concentrate from auto-parts outlets, or buy the BMW-labelled stuff.

·
2007 550i, '13 X5, '02 X5
691 Posts
We just had the fuel gauge problem with our X3 and I came across this thread. I'll be dumping in a bottle of Techron to see if it helps. Any further problems with yours after using techron?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.