BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have all the problems associated with a faulty ignition switch, but when i flip the passenger side rearview mirror door open, then the problem goes away. I know this is a temporary fix, but it certainly makes me less inclined to get a new part... lol

btw, who has the best DIY write up URL link? thanks!

·
Learning all the time
545 Posts
That's the classic symptom of a bad ignition switch.

·
Registered
12,691 Posts
...btw, who has the best DIY write up URL link? thanks!
Try www.e38.org or www.e38.org/e39 ...do a page search [Ctrl+F] typing "ignition switch" as your search words.

Yes, it's an e38 site...but the steering wheel/column is the same on the e38 & e39.

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
I have a q...

What is a " passenger side rearview mirror"...

there is a rear view mirror in the center of the car that the driver uses to see traffic behind him

there is a passenger side mirror used to see the passenger side of the car to aid in passing, parking etc...

Ive never hear of a passenger side rearview mirror...and what door do you open? the passenger door?

·
Registered
12,691 Posts
Although it's an assumption...I think its a safe bet that the OP actually meant the passenger sun visor mirror. :D

Reason being, it actually has a cover over the mirror...and it's known that opening the pass sun visor mirror cover (while the engine is running)...can many times get weird electrical gremlins to manifest themselves when one thinks their ignition switch may be on the fritz.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts