BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So tonight when I was driving home from watching Total Recall (pretty good movie by the way) my car all of a sudden shut off. So I pulled off the main road and tried to start her up again. She refused to start and gave me the code 1256 (fuel injector 6) so I reset the computer by unplugging the battery and fired her up again. The RPM shot up to 4,500 and stayed there. So I put it in gear and inched forward and the rpm immediately dropped to normal. I creeped home and parked it. The idle rpm is now at 1,700. My question is, is this caused by the fuel injector just dumping fuel into the cylinder or some other fault with injector 6, or does this sound more like a vac leak? I did not find any vacuum leaks when I took the mani off to clean the ICV. Thanks for any help.

· Registered
13,093 Posts
a injector pulsing full on would cause a misfire, rough running, and poor acceleration.
a vac leak can be caused by the intake boot ripping, or a vac line simply wearing out.

i'd start with those. a good visual of the simple stuff first, then move to more complex diagnosis.

df

· Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I have inspected more than once. No rips or worn out intake parts. Car does not idle rough or have a loss of power. It just dies or does that high revving thing. It won't start right after it dies unless I unplug the battery. Could it be a crank shaft or cam shaft sensor? Never had one start to fail on my so I wouldn't know. But I wouldn't think it would cause my car to rev up to 4,500 rpm on its own......

· Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Update, just in case someone has the same problem. I took out all the injectors, and put them back in a different order. Car seems to be running fine, if I get the code on another cylinder I'll know it is the injector, if I get the code on the same cylinder I'll probably conclude it is a wiring issue.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.